The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hygiene at supermarkets during Coronavirus epidemic

guzzler17

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Naming names,the first was the Coop and the second a Sainsbury’s Local.Far better and safer to queue with the trolley at the larger shops

Reinforces my View/experience.

I think the co-op have got a few questions to answer.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BoD said:

My wife works on the till in one of the big supermarkets....

Please give your wife my deepest thanks & ask her to pass my appreciation onto her colleagues, I do not know you nor her, but I & every other person in this country owes her & her colleagues a huge debt of gratitude, if they weren't prepared to go to work this country would have collapsed by now.

I know the NHS workers are on the front-line & if people want to stand on their doorsteps & clap the NHS, I have no problem with that, but our shop workers should also be included.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

I am on lockdown and an at risk category .I spray everything that comes in with Iso propyl .I bought a lot before the virus struck after reading reports from China .Washing it all works well too and we also isolate quite a bit of incoming for at least a  week or two in the car boot .Cant be too careful .My daughter in Surrey thinks she has had it .She may have caught it while getting her house rabbit well as the vets had to close and scrub down  after a  an assistant had symptoms.There is a chance the rabbit got the virus from there as  rabbits are susceptable   .Also so her daughters preschool teacher  was coughing etc after husband came back from China as flight crew and she was getting  symptoms .She asked my daughter whether she should stop going to school which  left my daughter shocked ....doh

Bunny survived  being very ill  which surprised the vet  as and  so did Sally and probably her son as he had all the symptoms too .my Son in law was surprised by the  vets bill:wacko:

Edited by friscopete
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I wear gloves and a mask, if you have neither, wear winter gloves and scarf..

it might not offer much but it’s better than nowt.

I work as an NHS dentist.  We can't buy masks - none available through our suppliers.    Usually made in China, the importers are diverting them to Amazon and Ebay because the mark up is so much better.    Ditto sanitisers.   Some people are doing very well.   I usually pay £3.50 for a box of 50 masks.  I see on Amazon that they're £15 for 5.  Sanitisers cost me £40 for 3*1200mls (except i can no longer buy them).  Online its around £30 for 500mls.  The emergency treatment centres due to open are being hampered by a lack of PPE and we're being asked to donate whatever stock we have remaining.   

I see people wearing gloves and masks, opening doors, taking the gloves off and then touching the same door handle shortly later.   Unless you have cuts or abrasions on your hands, gloves do FA.  We didn't wear them in dentistry until the AIDS crisis in the 80s, which is blood borne, before than we had bare hands.   I have a plentiful supply of gloves that i could wear to go out, but i choose not to because instead i'd rather think very carefully about what i'm touching and in particular, what the person before might have touched.    Regards masks, the paper 'surgical' masks stop things ("splatter") hitting you in the face.  End of.  They're not sealed.    I read a journal report published a few years ago that swabbed the inside of surgical masks for bacteria and viruses.   80% had bacteria behind them, 100% had viruses behind them.

I understand why people use this PPE, but as the old phrase says, don't die of ignorance - contaminated PPE is a greater risk to you than nothing at all.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Our local small Co-op is quite a good design, being a new purpose-built structure. Tesco Extras, less so, being mostly converted from other uses (at least two around here, are converted former pubs). I’m not an admirer of Budgens but again, quite a roomy place, once again a purpose-built structure about ten years old. 

On 02/04/2020 at 23:14, Nearholmer said:

Oh, yes, definitely!

Just between you and I, when theyre all out, I even sometimes eat a small pork pie for lunch.

Small pork pies are a delight from heaven, one of the things I greatly missed in my wanderings around the Oilpatch. 

I couldn't think of a better place to add this.

Does anyone else agree, that the 'Important Update, by the Government'

is actually counter productive.

It's not an update, it's just repeating the same old message, which is now,

like the boy who cried wolf, in danger of being ignored.

If they said 'This is a reminder', or they actually started updating it with new 

information/advice, (daily, or at least every other day), we (as a nation) might

take more notice.

Am I alone in this?

• Agree 4

If they say nothing for a day, the vacuum will be filled with speculation and conspiracy theories; if they say something, but it isn’t new news, some people will get bored and itchy with it.

The latter is possibly safer, if a bit tedious.

We need to see the captain on the bridge (well the first lieutenant now) once each day, it’s part of making sure it’s ‘one ship’.

And The Rear Admiral of the Fleet (=HMQ) needs to appear every few weeks too.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If they say nothing for a day, the vacuum will be filled with speculation and conspiracy theories; if they say something, but it isn’t new news, some people will get bored and itchy with it.

The latter is possibly safer, if a bit tedious.

It would not have been difficult (or particularly expensive) to have created/recorded a

few of those messages/bulletins, with a few different faces, said in a slightly different

way, just to keep them a bit fresher, and less monotonous, on a weekly rota.

(lets be honest, the one they used does have a face for radio!)

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Agree 2

Not sure how they could. If the advice is stay at home, then say 'stay at home more'.  I guess it was necessary to send letters, because it maybe that some folk are not aware of the situation, so maybe it is aimed at them. You need to be aware that much of the population are pretty ignorant, so it can't be too complicated. Of course, whatever was said, there would always be those who would complain.

2 hours ago, raymw said:

...I guess it was necessary to send letters, because it maybe that some folk are not aware of the situation...

Ours arrived today, and I support the necessity. We have a pair of elderly near neighbours who - by choice - had no electronic communication at all since the radio packed up, and they hadn't thought it important to sort out a replacement; and I expect there will be plenty more such. Fortunately their friends nearby were aware of the situation, and 'did the necessary' in keeping them informed; and since then a suitable radio (set to receive R4) has been provided...

• Like 4

18 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I couldn't think of a better place to add this.

Does anyone else agree, that the 'Important Update, by the Government'

is actually counter productive.

It's not an update, it's just repeating the same old message, which is now,

like the boy who cried wolf, in danger of being ignored.

If they said 'This is a reminder', or they actually started updating it with new 

information/advice, (daily, or at least every other day), we (as a nation) might

take more notice.

Am I alone in this?

same as TV update for any  news, not an update but the previous headlines repeated. To me  update means this is later news to what was advised an hour or so ago.

• Agree 3