Class 25 fan grill pictures

I am working on a Hornby class 25/2  doing  as much as possible to improve details, Laserglaze, correct diameter buffers etc etc  .

However the fan grill is defeating me at the moment. I have an A! etched grill and fan, but to me it seems totally inaccurate.  The diameter appears to be too large, and there is no flanged ring. So it would seem I have to attempt to modify it to make it look something like the prototype.  I don't feel like doing this, so I think I will have to stick with the original Hornby grill.

I might try to modify it if I could find a decent photo of a 25 roof, but I have searched for ages. The only picture I can find was taken from about a 100 yards away, and doesn't help at all.  Also no drawing or dimensions can be found. 

Can anyone help with info please.. 

Rob

• RMweb Premium

img_4018.jpg

This is the Extreme Etchings detail set. They’re to scale so may not fit the Hornby grill diameter. On a Bachmann 25 they end up looking like attached pic below 

3EC5B141-572C-41E9-8190-CDEC1059498B.jpeg

• Like 4

By way of information, A1 were probably the first to do diesel detailing parts. On some classes he deliberately produced parts to fit specific manufacturers models, in the knowledge that there were errors in the original model. This might seem odd now, but given modelling standards back then was actually very helpful.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PMP said:

img_4018.jpg

This is the Extreme Etchings detail set. They’re to scale so may not fit the Hornby grill diameter. On a Bachmann 25 they end up looking like attached pic below 

3EC5B141-572C-41E9-8190-CDEC1059498B.jpeg

It looks good, but I tried to to find these , and couldn't. I wonder if they are still available. I will search again.  As for it not fitting the Hornby diameter, I really don't see that as a problem. Modifications can be done.  

Thanks for your Help

Rob

I usually buy them from Brian in the flesh from his stall at exhibitions, so I have to say, I've never really looked at the part number before. Other threads on this forum relate that Brian can be "variable" in his response to the phone and emails, so if you make contact it would be interesting to hear....!

1 hour ago, Bedlington North said:

I usually buy them from Brian in the flesh from his stall at exhibitions, so I have to say, I've never really looked at the part number before. Other threads on this forum relate that Brian can be "variable" in his response to the phone and emails, so if you make contact it would be interesting to hear....!

Yes that is how I have bought bits before.  Well if I can't get a kit I will carefully cut the grill out of the A1 etching and make a ring for it sit in, and solder it to the flat bolted ring. Phew ! and if that doesn't work I will leave the original Hornby grill in place.. ooo er !

Rob

• Like 1

I have one spare of these from a 25 I never did, PM me if you are interested?

5 minutes ago, RobMG said:

Yes that is how I have bought bits before.  Well if I can't get a kit I will carefully cut the grill out of the A1 etching and make a ring for it sit in, and solder it to the flat bolted ring. Phew ! and if that doesn't work I will leave the original Hornby grill in place.. ooo er !

Rob

Now that is a good picture.  the upstanding  flange isn't as big as I thought.

I wonder if that is common to all 25s..?

I can use that to copy for my model now.  A lot easier than ideas I had in my mind..

Thank you guys.

Rob

Thank you guys for all your help.

I modified the A1 grill by removing the existing flange, because it would have sat too low.  I then made a new flange out of .5mm copper strip rolled into a ring, soldered to the grill.  The etching is not the best, but I filed the bars with a needle file and made a very slight improvement.

If I could solved the mystery of posting photo here, I would show you. 

Thank you all again.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RobMG said:

Thank you guys for all your help.

I modified the A1 grill by removing the existing flange, because it would have sat too low.  I then made a new flange out of .5mm copper strip rolled into a ring, soldered to the grill.  The etching is not the best, but I filed the bars with a needle file and made a very slight improvement.

If I could solved the mystery of posting photo here, I would show you. 

Thank you all again.

Rob

Thats good to hear Rob.

Re posting photos - I now type all text on my lap top but take photos on my mobile and then go back in to the thread on here on my mobile and edit it to add them....

Works for me...!

Kind regards & stay safe all.....