Deliveries???

When we think of deliveries we think of the buyer receiving an item,  but the opposite is also true.  Some weeks ago I had to return a failed locomotive to the retailer in the UK.  Within hours of receiving an email to return the item it was in the post.  Unfortunately,  it has travelled barely a few kilometres from my local post office and is seemingly held up in international departures awaiting shipment to the UK.   I have no idea when it will eventually leave Australia for the UK and then I need await the return postage.   The store stated that they would put aside a replacement loco,  but now I am not that optimistic.   After all this I will probably just get a refund and for all my trouble still be out of pocket $30.00 Aud in postage to return the item plus the original postage cost.  Realistically,  I could be waiting months before I actually see a replacement locomotive,  if ever.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I assume the mail travels in passenger aircraft in normal times and the lack of flights is what is delaying you. I would email the tracking number to the retailer to confirm the return is in progress.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I assume the mail travels in passenger aircraft in normal times and the lack of flights is what is delaying you. I would email the tracking number to the retailer to confirm the return is in progress.

Thankyou,  I did email the retailer with the tracking number over two weeks ago (received no reply),  but until the loco is in their hands I doubt that anything will be done.  Given the delay I can see the store refunding my money for the loco purchase only,  resulting in a loss of over $50.00 paid in postage.  

Edited by GWR-fan

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

Surely the store should accept some responsibility

I’ve only had to return items a few times due to a fault within warranty and on both occasions the retailer arranged and paid for collection for return, although these were never model railway stuff but bigger electronic gear.

David,

the website of the store in question states that return postage is paid for returns within the UK.    As no mention is made of international returns then I must assume that no refund will be made.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:12, Gareth Collier said:

Many deliveries are covered by 2 posties in a van but they are no longer supposed to share a van and must work alone so twice as many vans are required, vans which don't exist!

I've NEVER seen a courier work as a 2-man team.

The only people that I have are the likes of Argos/Currys/DFS (et al) delivery people.

My local Royal Mail, DPD, Amazon, Hermes - all work alone.

I have continued to order whatever I want/need.
Ironic that it did include a new BBQ set (for a brick built one)!

I should think by now, lots of people ordering online has steadied.  Still busy, but not particularly increasing by leaps and bounds it has.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

David,

the website of the store in question states that return postage is paid for returns within the UK.    As no mention is made of international returns then I must assume that no refund will be made.

Bummer.....I suppose the Sale of Goods act does not apply outside of the U.K. then......and at least they did warn on the site (sort of!) before you bought, still hurts though. :wacko:

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I’ve NEVER seen a courier work as a 2-man team.

The only people that I have are the likes of Argos/Currys/DFS (et al) delivery people.

Some items are of a size and / or weight that they require two people to move. IKEA, Argos and Currys have all made it known that larger items cannot currently be delivered (though they can be bought and delivery deferred) as they are all operating single-manned deliveries for now. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Post deleted as I just can't be bothered anymore.

Fair enough. Just to make you aware your previous post where you accused someone of accusing you of ling (when they had not) was automatically removed after it was reported by another user.

You've managed to annoy a few people so don't make out you're the injured party.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

My local Royal Mail, DPD, Amazon, Hermes - all work alone.

It is (was) common around here to see the local postmen sharing a van, but they both worked their rounds alone, so they were just sharing the van to get to the area that they delivered in.

Not sure who it was (plain van), but last week I saw a van pull up outside a neighbours, and it had two people in it, and the items were small.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2020 at 10:47, Sir TophamHatt said:

I've had recent DHL Courier collections with a 2-man team.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, polybear said:

Funny you should say that.

Not five minutes ago SWMBO took delivery of a parcel via DPD.  Single-manned and standing well back from the door.  Standing - in fact - right in the path of a fellow DPD driver from another van with a totally unrelated delivery for next door!!!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2020 at 10:35, GWR-fan said:

When we think of deliveries we think of the buyer receiving an item,  but the opposite is also true.  Some weeks ago I had to return a failed locomotive to the retailer in the UK.  Within hours of receiving an email to return the item it was in the post.  Unfortunately,  it has travelled barely a few kilometres from my local post office and is seemingly held up in international departures awaiting shipment to the UK.   I have no idea when it will eventually leave Australia for the UK and then I need await the return postage.   The store stated that they would put aside a replacement loco,  but now I am not that optimistic.   After all this I will probably just get a refund and for all my trouble still be out of pocket $30.00 Aud in postage to return the item plus the original postage cost.  Realistically,  I could be waiting months before I actually see a replacement locomotive,  if ever.  

Unfortunately the whole world, especially business, is in turmoil. No one can give you a straight answer, because no one knows.

Tracking, even within Australia is not that accurate. Recently I had a parcel from Sydney, arrive on my doorstep here in Vic, when the tracking said it was expected the following day!

Perhaps a little soon to jump to conclusions?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

It obviously varies around the country or maybe even what they are delivering.......seems pointless arguing/debating about it (not aimed at you Poly) as it appears to get a few people quite wound up.

For the record we have never had an Amazon/DPD/Hermes/RM delivery with two men on one truck as I recall.

Anything big like furniture etc yes usually always........but does it really matter chaps?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Funny you should say that.

Not five minutes ago SWMBO took delivery of a parcel via DPD.  Single-manned and standing well back from the door.  Standing - in fact - right in the path of a fellow DPD driver from another van with a totally unrelated delivery for next door!!!

Makes you wonder how these companies sort what goes on what van!

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Had a delivery from UPS in early February—there were two of them in the van. Put the parcel in the recycling bin, a note through the door and off back to their van... didn't ring the bell or knock.

Like any area of business in this world, there are people who just do their job and people who do it with care and attention. It is normal (mostly) for us as humans to moan about the former and not mention the latter.

To maintain a balance here, about deliveries (the topic title), I have to say that the two couriers that usually come (almost) to my door are nice, pleasantly friendly and caring. They will both ask how we are and, currently, if there is anything we would like them to get or do for us. Maybe we are just uncharacteristically lucky in this respect, and I would not expect all couriers to be the same, but there we are. Positivity.

• Like 3