Deliveries???

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Next door but one have had a mini-digger delivered via the shared driveway this morning. Initially I thought "Great, noise all weekend whilst he works in the garden" and then thought "I've just got the hump because he'll be having more fun this weekend than I will." :)

In these times of staying at home , you need to worry when he leaves a hump in the garden and his missus has "gone on holiday" :o

1 hour ago, MartynJPearson said:

I'm surprised that people haven't mentioned the biggest moral dilemma regarding ordering stuff online during these times - getting the parcel past the other half!

Blast ! I'd forgotten she won't be going out. :unsure:

Do you think DPD will deliver while she's down Tesco?

Andy

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Deliveries continue to arrive at the Hill of Strawberries.  The one thing we cannot get is a supermarket delivery but everything else is landing on the doorstep as planned.  Cat food (large bag), cat litter (another large bag and which had to be from another supplier because neither had both in stock) and the Fortnum & Masons Easter Hamper (are we living too high on the hog?) have all appeared in the past 24 hours.  A meat-and-veg delivery is booked for two weeks hence and based on the weekly newsletter from our Friends in Camborne today I shouldn't have to wait too long for a fair-sized box and an equally sizeable dent in my bank account!  

And on the subject of deliveries Friday night has become Delivery Night rather than out-for-dinner night because we choose to support those local businesses doing it tough and carrying on.  

Funny you should mention that, I ordered a Hotel Chocolat hamper for Easter, unfortunately it landed early a few days ago........we have three ladies and two young children in the house presently......it’s all bloody gone already!

A HAMPER full of chocolate!

Then again......it gave me enough brownie points to negate quite a few errr....cardboard box orders coming through soon ;)

• Funny 4

48 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Then again......it gave me enough brownie points to negate quite a few errr....cardboard box orders coming through soon ;)

Be careful.

If it's one thing I've learnt, brownie points arrive singly and depart in multiple. Bit like 153s really

Andy (who's taken delivery of his parcel even though it missed yesterday's pick up slot and she was down Tesco too. Yay!)

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Don't recognise 'Chinese Lurgy,' although I believe the POTUS uses such terminology.

'Chinese Lurgy' is up there with 'Flea Bay', 'Farcebook', 'Choo Choo' and other such low intellect substitutes for real words.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/04/2020 at 10:07, chris p bacon said:

Royal mail seems to be business as usual so I wouldn't worry unduly, the worst that can happen is 2 day delivery stretches to 4 days (or similar) which isn't really a hardship.

Just had a delivery by RM today that was only ordered on Wednesday so there doesn't appear to be anyone overstretched around here.

As far as the ethics go, my view was that by ordering the guitar pickups that I'd been toying with buying for months, I'd be helping out the small company that makes them, the music shop that sells them and it would give me something to do whilst stuck indoors. If they are happy to supply, I am happy to buy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

'Chinese Lurgy' is up there with 'Flea Bay', 'Farcebook', 'Choo Choo' and other such low intellect substitutes for real words.

Don’t forget Delhi Belly........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I've got an IQ of 4.

Which is bl00dy good for a Teddy Bear.

• Funny 8

Guest Half-full
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t forget Delhi Belly........

That is one thing I'll never forget :O

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

I have two small modelling related parcels somewhere out there,  One supplier has it on the website he's only posting once a week for the duration.  The other said the same in the confirmation of order email. 

A house of strong ladies delivery arrived today I got the man with a van to leave it at the gate I collected it when he returned to the van. 

I see no problem  with keeping people employed. 

We are seeing people walking down the bridle paths in this remote- ish area we've never seen in the last  20+ years. 

My #1 friend lives a mile away ( so not exactly remote) down a long dead end lane in the rather rural valley below me.

He knows almost everyone who keeps horses down the lane, or just walks there regularly....

There have people been there this week who have said "I dint know this was all here"....

Do they really live somewhere for a decade or so and not notice the several hundred acres of fields, farms, woods and even Industrial Archaeology literally behind their houses?

10 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Do they really live somewhere for a decade or so and not notice the several hundred acres of fields, farms, woods and even Industrial Archaeology literally behind their houses?

Up until recently people have been busy going to work, taking/fetching kids to/from school etc etc.  Most folks only got time to properly kick back and relax at the weekend, but even that was eaten in to by shopping, gardening, DIY etc etc.

Suddenly they have all this extra free time at home, and themselves & their kids to distract from utter boredom.  It's not all that surprising that they are able to discover things about their neighbourhoods that they never 'had the time' to explore before.

When I was working I knew about these: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/first-world-war-trenches-capitals-outskirts-listed-monuments-820609 when their discovery was first reported in 2012.  They're less than a mile and half from my house yet it took me nearly five years to get round to actually going to have a look at them.

In 'normal' times the demands of day to day life get in the way of so many things that people would like to do.

My local model shop is continuing trading by online and phone orders, and posting out goods. The owner tells me that he is getting a lot of small orders, but everything adds up to keep him ticking over.

What was a shock was to learn that he had been warned by the police that thieves were targeting "high value goods" shops, and so he had removed as much higher value stock from his shop to his home as a precaution. I commented that surely his insurance would cover any losses and was horrified to hear that he had been told that he would not be covered because of a clause relating to "civil unrest" and the company designating the lock down as such a period.

Which to my mind goes against the government's encouragement for businesses to continue operating via mail order "business as usual" if insurance companies are going to claim "civil unrest" because "business is not as usual" to avoid paying out for valid claims for theft!

I wonder if any small business owners here can confirm that have checked and are in fact still covered? If not, time perhaps to swap insurers?!

STAY HOME - STAY SAFE - KEEP MODELLING (VIA MAIL ORDER)

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

My local model shop is continuing trading by online and phone orders, and posting out goods. The owner tells me that he is getting a lot of small orders, but everything adds up to keep him ticking over.

What was a shock was to learn that he had been warned by the police that thieves were targeting "high value goods" shops, and so he had removed as much higher value stock from his shop to his home as a precaution. I commented that surely his insurance would cover any losses and was horrified to hear that he had been told that he would not be covered because of a clause relating to "civil unrest" and the company designating the lock down as such a period.

Which to my mind goes against the government's encouragement for businesses to continue operating via mail order "business as usual" if insurance companies are going to claim "civil unrest" because "business is not as usual" to avoid paying out for valid claims for theft!

I wonder if any small business owners here can confirm that have checked and are in fact still covered? If not, time perhaps to swap insurers?!

STAY HOME - STAY SAFE - KEEP MODELLING (VIA MAIL ORDER)

I think the Insurance Company could be on iffy ground there (I hope so) as being confined to barracks is a lot different to the Brixton Riots.

If they are entitled to do so does that now mean my house insurance won't pay out too?

Time to reload the Phalanx Gun....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I think the Insurance Company could be on iffy ground there (I hope so) as being confined to barracks is a lot different to the Brixton Riots.

If they are entitled to do so does that now mean my house insurance won't pay out too?

Time to reload the Phalanx Gun....

I agree, Civil Unrest sounds like a tenuous excuse for reneging on the policy terms, “exception circumstances” might work but the insurance company probably forgot to add that clause get out!    Bar Stewards......

• Agree 2

My only experience with insurers was for an "escape of water" which effected most of the ground floor of our house. As it came from a tap, they tried to put the blame on our then 5 year old. We engaged the services of an independent loss adjuster, who battled them for a fair and reasonable claim for the damage we suffered but it literally took nearly a year to sort! So my impression is that they will wiggle out of paying if they can find any way of doing so, despite taking your premiums off you year after year. My heart goes out to those folk who have suffered in the floods...

And don't get me started on car insurers - took naive me years to learn that insuring your vehicle on its value to you is simply handing your money over to the bloodsuckers, because when it comes to the (literal) crunch they will only pay out scrap value! :mad:

As Polybear and Boxbrownie have commented above, I do hope that insurers cannot wiggle out of his honouring legitimate claims.

STAY SAFE - STAY HOME - KEEP MODELLING

• Agree 1

For months now my son has been searching for an out of production 1/72 scale helicopter kit of a type used by the Australian armed services.  Each time when listed worldwide he is outbid and the kit sells for silly money on eBay.  Finally over the weekend he was successful with a seller in Germany.  He paid up immediately and alas when the seller tried to ship by DHL the company advised that they no longer ship packages to Australia due the situation.  They only ship letters and commercial freight.

Ironically,  a month ago he was in Johannesburg and while eating at a local well known fast food eating place there was a hobby store directly next door.  Only when he returned to Australia and did an online search did he find out that the same hobby store was the only store in the world that had the kit listed for sale.  Unfortunately,  the store does not ship outside the country. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Briefly - as the topic is "Deliveries" and not "Insurance" - I worked for 11 years in the insurance industry in Australia.  Policies and procedures there are closely similar to the UK and many other countries.  "Civil Unrest" (often bracketed with "Riot, Insurrection or other Act of Civil Disobedience") is specifically excluded from many policies.  It is a broad term but can be defined as can other terms used in insurance policies.  

What we are experiencing globally is not Civil Unrest.  It may be considered "Force Majeure" which is some cases is also excluded from cover but "Unrest" requires disorder, disobedience and threats of or actual harm to person(s) and / or property.  Without those the event is not "Unrest".  

Insurers have a reputation for wriggling out of claims.  If they did they would not remain in business.  It is the responsibility of the party insured to understand the policy, what is included and what is excluded.  And it is also their responsibility to ask their insurer questions if they are unsure.  I found a large number of home-owners were not covered for the loss claimed simply because they had a "listed event" policy which only covers loss if one of the specifically-listed events has directly caused it.  

For homes and personal effects such policies are the equivalent of Third Party, Fire and Theft on your car.  If you want fuller cover buy the Comprehensive policy.  It costs more.  But it covers more.  

No insurer may refuse lodgement of a claim.  Claims may be denied if not covered by the policy but a denial cannot occur unless a claim is first lodged.  It is the right of the party insured to lodge a claim whether or not they are covered by the policy.  Let the insurer determine or advise on the extent to which the loss is or is not covered.  Those decisions are made by aptly-named Loss Adjusters.  More commonly these days called Assessors.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It is the responsibility of the party insured to understand the policy, what is included and what is excluded.  

Well blow me down....I knew I should have asked LV if I was covered for a global pandemic......silly me

:lol:

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2020 at 21:37, GWR-fan said:

In Victoria,  the state government has banned the sale of guns and ammunition.  In the past two weeks in the state sales have doubled for these items.    In the U.S. gunshops had been closed by government order as non-essential.  However,  it did not take long before a court decreed that gunshops were "essential" and so the gunshops re-opened.    I feel that too many people see reality TV shows such as "Doomsday Preppers" as real possibilities.

In Victoria, the gun shops are considering suing the state government.

An association representing up to two dozen Melbourne gun dealers is preparing a legal challenge against the ban which they say could financially devastate the families of hundreds of firearms traders.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/i-can-t-pay-bills-gun-dealers-set-to-sue-police-over-ban-on-sales-20200331-p54fpu.html

Poor people, what makes them so special over other businesses that have had to either close, or severely restrict their business?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2020 at 06:26, Colin_McLeod said:

You missed Micro$oft.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Poor people, what makes them so special over other businesses that have had to either close, or severely restrict their business?

They've all got a shed load of guns and ammunition........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly, "Lurgi", with an i not y was one of the wonderful creations of the Goon Show to wit "The Great British Lurgi". I have to admit I can't remember which espisode it came from. One could argue that Donald is borrowing classic British humour.

Parcel wise, it is interesting to note differing standards of service. I ordered some N gauge track from a retailer a few days ago, both plain track and turnouts. The rail in a nice solid plastic tube was entrusted to Hermes and arrived on the 7th. I'm still waiting for the turnouts which are with Royal Mail