Heljan Cargowaggon

letterspider

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

I can see  plastic rod can work well if it can fit into the central hook - I'm wondering what diameter you are using and what other uses you are having for it?

The diameter I have used is (I think) .010" , and it sits perfectly well in the holes and slots - the hole in the coupling part is actually quite large.

There are many uses for the plastic rod, often scenic but also things like conduits and pipes on rolling stock, or corridor handrails to replace printed ones in coaches like Hornby's Maunsells..

I just checked: the second wagon I did with plastic rod used .020" .

So far these seem to have worked well, but I will have to see how they go for longevity, with the constant flexing.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Look what turned up today....

Thought I would post an image of the actual wagon here so people can make their own mind up.

Weathering can be a very subjective and, for me, this version looks good & I am very happy with it.

Please note the graffiti is only on one side.

Hope this helps.

9C60BFFF-B77B-499F-A00D-B7DED718AEBC.jpeg

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

An update on the Heljan 5017 weathered cargowaggon complete with graffiti.

I can confirm that there is graffiti on both sides albeit less pronounced on one side.

I have attached a second image showing the other side of the wagon.

D87FB3A6-67EB-4043-9E4B-4DFE05E8BA12.jpeg

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

An update on the Heljan 5017 weathered cargowaggon complete with graffiti.

I can confirm that there is graffiti on both sides albeit less pronounced on one side.

I have attached a second image showing the other side of the wagon.

D87FB3A6-67EB-4043-9E4B-4DFE05E8BA12.jpeg

Looks like some of the cleaned-up 'twins' we've been getting lately.

Hi All,

The versions I have (Including the recent addition above) are geared around era 8/9 . However, in this current batch there are other variants, suitable for the current  period.

These are sure to be popular as these haven’t been produced for some time - especially looking at inflated prices on a certain auction site.so I would suggest getting these ASAP as ‘once they are gone, they are gone!’.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

These Cargowaggons seem very hard to get hold of - any idea why only Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and Kernow have received them? I'd like one of the pristine ones (#5016) but they're all sold out.

Yes I noticed that the pristine ones have sold out.

In fact I had an email from Rails stating that #5016 was sold out on pre-order.

Like  CB Rail said they have not been available for quiet some time and do go for very inflated prices on some auction sites.

Also the pristine version you say you like is around a tenner cheaper than the weathered ones, so this may be why those particular wagons have all sold out.

Not sure about other retailers other than those you mentioned having allocations. Maybe Heljan are looking after the big boys first and there's more to come for other retailers.

Cheers D7100.

22 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

These Cargowaggons seem very hard to get hold of - any idea why only Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and Kernow have received them? I'd like one of the pristine ones (#5016) but they're all sold out.

C&M Models received them earlier in the week, but we too have sold all 5016s.

We still have supplied of the others

• Like 1

It would indeed seem that almost all the pristine Cargowaggons were snaffled by Hattons, Rails and Kernow, and the whole batch is sold out. There aren't even any on eBay at ridiculous prices!

Heljan appear to have underestimated demand.

Edited by Flittersnoop

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Slightly different price though, compared to the last batch.

It's beacuse both Heljan & EFE/Bachmann have to take their cut from it not just one company, but I do like the idea of opening up the range to shops who don't currently stock Heljan by distributing through EFE/Bachmann.

• Like 1

Ultimately Heljan do very short runs now as before they have often been left with too many in stock - which has ended up being dumped via Liverpool!

With respect to the Cargowaggons then if you can live with a slightly different version - then I am sure Revolutions IWA will be in a totally different league - plus a better price at circa £75 for a pair (engineering sample at this address:  "www.keymodelworld.com/article/revolution-iwa-wagon-samples-oo" ).  A good many years ago I had a few Roco Cargowaggons (they did a large loading gauge version in HO - which made the wagon look about right in OO), as unfortunately I have always found the level of detail on the Heljan model to be quite basic.  The £49.95 - £59.95 per wagon price tag via EFE seems excessive, but each to their own!  I wonder what Heljans next atch will cost?

Best Regards,

C.

20 minutes ago, james-htfc said:

Some of these in Tiphook / Ferrywagon grey and blue would be great (assuming this is the same type of wagon!), as this colour scheme seems more common for the period I'm modelling (mid-2000s).

they are not the same type of wagon.

Jon