Heljan Cargowaggon

letterspider

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Ultimately Heljan do very short runs now as before they have often been left with too many in stock - which has ended up being dumped via Liverpool!

With respect to the Cargowaggons then if you can live with a slightly different version - then I am sure Revolutions IWA will be in a totally different league - plus a better price at circa £75 for a pair (engineering sample at this address:  "www.keymodelworld.com/article/revolution-iwa-wagon-samples-oo" ).  A good many years ago I had a few Roco Cargowaggons (they did a large loading gauge version in HO - which made the wagon look about right in OO), as unfortunately I have always found the level of detail on the Heljan model to be quite basic.  The £49.95 - £59.95 per wagon price tag via EFE seems excessive, but each to their own!  I wonder what Heljans next atch will cost?

Best Regards,

C.

I’d never twigged the price of the Revolution ones before, that really does look good value. Only issue is I believe they were built later (1987 according to Revolution) against early 80’s. What that price of £75 for 2 large bogies does do is make the Kernow 4 wheel twin (I believe from the same supplier) look very poor value at £89 for 1 twin 4 wheeler.

I presume as there is no ‘Cargowaggon’ branded one in the EFE range and a further run announced by Heljan that they are happy that’s the popular one that will sell. EFE get the ones that you can still pick up for about £38 on line.

41 minutes ago, SHerr said:

I’d never twigged the price of the Revolution ones before, that really does look good value. Only issue is I believe they were built later (1987 according to Revolution) against early 80’s. What that price of £75 for 2 large bogies does do is make the Kernow 4 wheel twin (I believe from the same supplier) look very poor value at £89 for 1 twin 4 wheeler.

To be clear about Revolutions 'Vans', the bogie holdall is technically a covered flat, and the 4 wheel twins were a commission from Kernow, so its presumably Kernow who set the price.

Jon

32 minutes ago, jonhall said:

To be clear about Revolutions 'Vans', the bogie holdall is technically a covered flat, and the 4 wheel twins were a commission from Kernow, so its presumably Kernow who set the price.

Jon

Yes the holdalls are a good price and very finely detailed as per RevolutioN's exacting standards.  It depends on your modelling strictness - but its still a cargowaggon, and I think they will look very impressive.  I had some Roco Cargowaggons as their detailing was far superior, to Heljan's  - with just a couple of Heljan's Blue Circle Cement ones to go with Hornby PCA's.

Kernow set the price on the "Twins" in OO - which I won't be going for as I think it is expensive too.  Besides a good few years ago I got some Roco "Twin" ones for £29.99 each!  No ferry or Channel Tunnel logos, and the buffers a millimetre or so a little low -  but they are still a very nice wagon, especially for the price.  Also had 3 "Sea Rail" ones a couple of years ago too - at the same price.  Never ran in the country - but a good sensible name which could have with a little artistic licence!  

As per everything - you pays your money - you takes your choice.   

Best Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Jon

Jon,

thanks for the comment. I appreciate the Kernow one is a commission and maybe that adds more to the rrp than I realise. 

The comparison I was trying to make is a single Revolution bogie wagon appears more complex and larger than half a twin so when a pack with 2 bogie wagons is £75 (which does seem good value) £89 for a pair of twins looks a bit high. 

I wasn’t trying to bash Kernow and I don’t doubt that both will be excellent and streets ahead of the Heljan model.

I would still really like some Kernow twins .

Just out of interest on these wagons - Heljan Product code 5021 -GRUP FERROVIAR ROMAN D-RADV 2797 698-8.  Did that vehicle actually run in the UK?  Whilst Rail Adventure wagons are used on EMU moves - I have not found anything relation to the above vehicle, and its unique livery of having its new owners name printed on top of the original Cargowaggon branding.

Best Regards,

C.

• 1 month later...

More IWB wagons due next year https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=618 plus some IGA wagons as well https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=958 

And for some good shots of the Rail Adventure wagons https://www.47soton.co.uk/2019/07/the-at300-delivery-train-returns-to.html just need someone to make a version of the couplings between the IWB wagons

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 22:50, dogbox321 said:

Just out of interest on these wagons - Heljan Product code 5021 -GRUP FERROVIAR ROMAN D-RADV 2797 698-8.  Did that vehicle actually run in the UK?  Whilst Rail Adventure wagons are used on EMU moves - I have not found anything relation to the above vehicle, and its unique livery of having its new owners name printed on top of the original Cargowaggon branding.

These were used as brake force runners in some of the Rail Adventure drags, not seen for some time so either replaced or repainted. There's four in this Hornsey drag for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95rJovO0Bg

• 8 months later...

A couple of quick questions if I may. I've just received 5028 from the latest batch of these wagons. The weight is clearly loose inside the wagon and is sliding around. Is it supposed to be like that and, if not, does anyone know how to remove the body so I can sort it out? Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Having bought a couple of these Heljan/EFE cargowaggons, they seem rather slim. Is that correct or are they under size?

I have 3. 

Something looks off about them visually, they lack bulk.

That aside from the coupling mechanism that jams, and the occasional poor riding / derailments.

Never want to knock someone's product needlessly, but probably my least-enjoyed, most-regretted purchases, and they're not cheap either.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 28/04/2022 at 22:15, andythenorth said:

I have 3. 

Something looks off about them visually, they lack bulk.

That aside from the coupling mechanism that jams, and the occasional poor riding / derailments.

Never want to knock someone's product needlessly, but probably my least-enjoyed, most-regretted purchases, and they're not cheap either.

I’ve just bought one of the O gauge versions, but again, appears to be a bit skinny

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been reading about the problems people have been haveing with the couplings on these wagons  ,i run a set of 5 that i have removed heljans couplers and fitted my own hook and loop couplers made from paper clips ,i got the idea from Everard junctions big wagon project when he used this system on a rake of Hornby mgr hoppers ,my cargo wagons are now very reliable they no longer uncouple or derail when being pushed through point work ,this method of coupling works very well for me as i run all my trains as fixed fotmation sets,i also have rakes of old Hornby vda and oaa wagons that i have coverted to hook and loop couplings that are now very reliable ,these once ran so bad i had put them in a box later  and had given up on them! I hope this is some help if you are haveing problems with your cargo wagons.

• Informative/Useful 1