wheelset identity

• RMweb Premium

These three wheelsets appeared fairly recently by the side of the Trans Pennine Trail at Stairfoot (Barnsley)

IMG_0030s.jpg.e0e50267b25c5d34fa20f45778425cba.jpg

IMG_0031s.jpg.f776001ed6d5b344b47c27c6c0a03c00.jpg

Does anyone know what loco they came from? There are no cranks or eccentrics on the axles, a long crankpin on the centre pair which suggest an outside cylinder steam loco or a diesel with drive via a connecting rod from the gearbox.

There's a date of 1957 on the tyres which don't seem very worn - slightly hollow but still quite thick.

• Like 1

All I can tell you is they came from the Elsecar Heritage Railway last September.

If they were 03 wheel sets then I can think of a few owners who would want them which to me backs up the suggestion that they came off a industrial.

Edited by 25901

Elsecar broke up an Avonside 0-6-0ST a few years ago but I would assume that you  would see evidence of keyways on the crank axle where the eccentric sheaves were attached.  As Jim says the set screws securing the tyres should have told me they were too old for an 03 despite the date - presumably the replacement tyres were rolled in 1957.

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2020 at 15:53, Marshall5 said:

Elsecar broke up an Avonside 0-6-0ST a few years ago but I would assume that you  would see evidence of keyways on the crank axle where the eccentric sheaves were attached.  As Jim says the set screws securing the tyres should have told me they were too old for an 03 despite the date - presumably the replacement tyres were rolled in 1957.

Ray.

I passed them again yesterday and looked at the axles this time - there are keyways in the centre axle, close to the bearing journals.

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

From what I remember of looking at it last the B4 being restored has considerably thinner tyres than the ones at Stairfoot.

It seems strange that they would sell a set of wheels with what look like decent tyres when the stated reason for breaking up AE 1945 was to provide spares for their other B4, AE 1917.

Ray.

On 23/04/2020 at 09:16, Wickham Green too said:

This could be a candidate -

- though I can find no reference to her being broken up.

This loco hasn't been broken up and is in covered museum accommodation at Cottesmore, photograph taken at Rippingdale prior to arrival in the early 2000's. 

I would highly suspect these have come from cut-up class member AE1945. 

Paul A.