Class 142 Provincial

charliepetty

The models we are planning are in keeping with the quality we have done before, re the 143, 144 & 156 Early & 156 Current.

There are two production runs of the BREL/Leyland Class 142.

These are:

142/0 (142001 - 142050) with the standard Leyland Bus roof  with the 10 Ribbed Roof.

142/1 (142051 - 122094) With the modified stronger BREL Roof with 3 Ribbs

The Class 142's were introduced with 4 Leaf Leyland Bus Doors which proved too feeble in traffic when passed by fast trains as the turbulance forced open these doors, this making the brakes apply.  All Units were rebuilt with Standard 2 Leaf doors (As per 142/144s) during the 1990's.

Class 142-0 Roof 2.jpg

142062 Provincial Roof.jpg

142010 Old Doors.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Other minor point to  note is that until well into the privatisation era only the drivers side headlight worked the other one was merely a dummy although when built they did have bulbs fitted. 

Good old BL waste of money.

The doors were modified about the same time as the gearbox was changed to the voith type so any sound chip for the type with the original doors would probably have to be a modified 141 one as the sound was very different with the original gearbox,  having said that the Leyland engines also sound completely different to the current ones 

13 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The models we are planning are in keeping with the quality we have done before, re the 143, 144 & 156 Early & 156 Current.

There are two production runs of the BREL/Leyland Class 142.

These are:

142/0 (142001 - 142050) with the standard Leyland Bus roof  with the 10 Ribbed Roof.

142/1 (142051 - 122094) With the modified stronger BREL Roof with 3 Ribbs

The Class 142's were introduced with 4 Leaf Leyland Bus Doors which proved too feeble in traffic when passed by fast trains as the turbulance forced open these doors, this making the brakes apply.  All Units were alterns to Standard 2 Leaf doors during the 1990's.

Class 142-0 Roof 2.jpg

142062 Provincial Roof.jpg

142010 Old Doors.jpg

Unit RT142-101  Will be 142061 In Provincial Livery, Destinations are Manchester Victoria-Colne

This will have the Newton Heath Depot logo NH + Pendle Witch as seen in the photos attached. These are under the Drivers Window & on the Cab Front.

142061 Provincial.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 5

On 03/04/2020 at 06:50, charliepetty said:

Newton Heath Witch Sticker.jpg

Hi Charlie,

That is great news and I will be after one for sure.

Out of interest I have always wondered what is the Longsight depot bird logo?

It looks like a bird of prey, an eagle perhaps but what kind of bird is it and what is the significance to Longsight?

I know Charlie mentioned originally Colne to Victoria but I cannot ever see such a service running between 1986 and 1992. Have the BR all route timetables for these years and there are lots of Victoria to Blackburn as well as Rochdale to Blackburn via Victoria (long before the current Clitheroe service started) but cannot find a Colne service. Maybe it was a relief working?

Having spent much time at Manchester Victoria in the late 80's I recall the destination blinds simply read on some if not all units of that era 'Man Vic'

Very nice! (in its own way!)

I would like to say that there is a element of  90's nostalgia creeping in, but even now the memories of turning up on platform 3 at Sheffield Midland for the pre-departure stuff and realising I was taking a 142 from Sheffield to Hull and back (vice the more  usual 156) are a bit fresh in the mind :D

On 19/04/2020 at 19:34, cs233 said:

I know Charlie mentioned originally Colne to Victoria but I cannot ever see such a service running between 1986 and 1992. Have the BR all route timetables for these years and there are lots of Victoria to Blackburn as well as Rochdale to Blackburn via Victoria (long before the current Clitheroe service started) but cannot find a Colne service. Maybe it was a relief working?

Having spent much time at Manchester Victoria in the late 80's I recall the destination blinds simply read on some if not all units of that era 'Man Vic'

Colne to Blackpool south

Ian_B

23 hours ago, charliepetty said:

This has been modified to:   Barrow to Manchester Victoria.

Charlie

Excellent choice Charlie, perfect for Plumpton and covers a lot of the North West on that journey.

Still preferred a 31 and mark 2’s back

in the day lol!

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

Would be great to have a couple of 143’s in original provincial livery. Have these been done before? (assume they have already, but would be great to have a re-run what with all the renewed interest in pacers) :)

They have not been done before in any of the early liveries. As I recall there are tooling differences. I too would like the early version.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

What tooling differences ???

Even thought this is a 142 thread the query was about the 143 which you are yet to do in the original liveries. The 143s you have done were in more recent configuration so presumably doors, lights and possibly radio pods would need different tooling for the as built condition.