THE 'SEE IT/MAKE IT' CHALLENGE: ROUND ONE

It's competition time!!

We've set you the challenge of making a model diorama/display plank of a picture we’ve selected, including siding from bufferstop to the lamp post behind, strewn sleepers, weeds, discarded bottle, warts and all. The competition is hotting up and we can now confirm that the winner (selected by us) will become the proud owner of a Hornby Class 43 HST train pack, worth £289.99!

Every round we're going to present you with a new photograph of a scene. It might be real life, it might be a model. The challenge is to replicate it as closely as you can. At the end of each round, we'll be award a prize to he or she who produced what we feel is the closest effort.

This week, feast your eyes on this photograph:

image.png.61356e83318277da9b2fa7861ee8c15a.png

Click the link below to find out more about how to enter...

Good luck! 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/wor/techniques/the-see-it-make-it-challenge-week-one/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite a difficult image to replicate if you don't have 2 x  Class 20 and a Class 47 (or what ever it is).

Would a loco-less entry be accepted ?

And how long is the round open for ?

Edit: I should have clicked the link first :blush:

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators

Yes, a loco-less entry is accepted and well spotted it is Warrington Arpley. The 20s were regulars on the MGRs, double-heading - I've many shots from the era. You get to win an HST, and with us all being stuck at home, there's no excuse for not having a little dabble at a siding like this... go on! There's all this Easter weekend - why not make it a part of an existing layout?

H

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

SEE IT/MAKE IT CHALLENGE: ROUND ONE WINNERS
Congratulations and a Hornby HST worth £289.99 are due to Chris Chewter and his daughter, Emily, for their winning entry to the first round of our See it/Make it Challenge.

1444059957_Winner2.jpg.679c900df42c93b6982868c327994daa.jpg

606232698_Winner1.jpg.01c7451bef9de50c018a90fb8ce440f0.jpg

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/see-it-make-it-challenge-round-one-winners/

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

giphy.gif.96a981d13344f2dab950df2e57983dec.gif

The silence has been deafening, hasn't it? ;)

As the response to these "See It Make It" 'challenges' has been rather underwhelming, I think that some of the BRM staff may have seriously misjudged what modellers are doing with their extra free time - if they have any; not everyone has, and I've found that assumption rather patronising, and very annoying, too. 

The one Thread in this whole "Get Britain Modelling" Section that really has taken off is the 'S.I.* Modelling' thread, where modellers just post whatever they're up to. Much of it is catching up with unstarted or unfinished projects, and it's been a good read. THAT is what modellers are doing; there's no need for these rather random 'challenges' with prizes that aren't neccesarily the wonderful incentive they are presented as. 

Ah well, Rant Mode /off.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

This one's Howard's baby and isn't confined to RMweb and yes, there have been participants and entrants which hopefully Howard will get round to updating readers about.

Maybe a way round it might be to do a survey to see if there is subject or modelling topic to see what items are common amoung modellers then see if there is some which people are doing or have done. Like say a model of a engine/shed or a village small town and go through entries and see if that starts enspiring people.

I will say that I would have been tempted to have a go - but I didn't have anything that looked like the original photos and then we have found ourselves, here, with the grandchildren. Despite not being in school, they have daily home-work to do (as opposed to homework) and twice or three times weekly video conferencing with their teachers (joy as the system is flaky - sound no picture, picture no sound or no whiteboard). So, inasmuch as I should have liked to 'have a go' time has pushed off and I'm just amusing myself with building and lighting some old Ratio signal kits.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I'm over on the 'SI*Modelling' thread, too.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sorry folks for not updating you on this sooner, things have been a little busy. The challenge is being run on our World Of Railways website. Yes, we received a few entries for this first challenge (though not as many as we'd have liked), but in fairness, it was a little advanced, but it was great to see the prize awarded to Chris and his daughter, Emily, who both took great pleasure during lockdown in creating their diorama. We received more entries from modellers for round two, a few of which are outlined, here.

The challenges aren't to everyone's 'cup of tea' perhaps, otherwise everyone would take part, but we've had some great entries from modellers of all ages. 

There's only one prize 'winner' per round (as with most competitions), but many who've taken part so far have said how much they enjoyed it, regardless of winning anything or not, and they all have a little something to add to their layouts. In fact, many who have entered the latest challenge are new to the hobby, always a welcome sight.

Our other non-RMweb prize 'give aways' across our Facebook, YouTube and Twitter channels have done well, too, the latest being a prize bundle, won by a 13-year-old model railway YouTuber.

You can see our latest challenge here and we're receiving entries until midnight, this Sunday.

Happy modelling!

H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1