Interior wooden wagons

• RMweb Gold

I'd go with anything like Humbrol Matt 121,28 or 64, depending on how how "weathered" you want the wood to look. These colours range from light beigey to grey, e.g. faded through to the sun-bleached silvery look. Give a thin wash of dirty black/brown over the top for extra detail if you have time. If I was to pick only one, I'd go with Matt 28.

Edited by 57xx

As above, a sort of brownish light grey through to silvery grey, then a thin dark grey wash. Do it in batches of dissimilar wagons, you don't want them all exactly the same shade. Most RTR interiors use light brown which might be ok for freshly Cuprinoled decking but wrong for unpainted wood. 

• Agree 1

If you have the opportunity may I suggest reading Martyn Welch's book "The Art of Weathering" it has a wealth of techniques that can apply to locomotives and rolling stock.

G

• RMweb Gold

For your reference, I quickly slapped some colours onto a spare body:

Left to Right: Humbrol 121,28,64.

Background colour is Halfords grey primer.

Wood colours.jpg

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

A nice blend of those 3 should work nicely, I use a similar palette myself only not Humbrol, all mixed on the fly per plank and given a black or dark grey wash when dried. Looks pretty good I think. Ranging from just started on the left, bit more work on the right and the finished effect in the GW wagon. FULL-DSXT5925.jpg.0e4a581e1a1e1b03530a177b9e4ef952.jpg

38 minutes ago, 57xx said:

For your reference, I quickly slapped some colours onto a spare body:

827113372_woodcolours.jpg.6a103d34fb0f49362a4b6f9ea94c89b8.jpg

Left to Right: Humbrol 121,28,64.

Background colour is Halfords grey primer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, teaky said:

gwrrob on his A Nod To Brent thread has made an excellent job of his open and flat wagons and provides details of the colours used.

Although I used it here on a flat wagon 

the technique is valid for open wooden wagons too as also seen here.

430732488_DSCN6262(3).JPG.c6d1b80ab7455d0b1a18552d856b3295.JPG

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

A nice blend of those 3 should work nicely, I use a similar palette myself only not Humbrol, all mixed on the fly per plank and given a black or dark grey wash when dried. Looks pretty good I think. Ranging from just started on the left, bit more work on the right and the finished effect in the GW wagon. FULL-DSXT5925.jpg.0e4a581e1a1e1b03530a177b9e4ef952.jpg

My palette is actually larger than that. Got another beige, a light brown, light grey and some silver that I use in various combinations. The OP was saying he has lots to do though and not enough time to go in to detail and weather so narrowed it down to the simplest colours for him.

• RMweb Premium

I've achieved excellent results using the methods described in the above topic - indeed, quite difficult to go wrong!

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Thanks 1