Branch passenger trains

The last three issues of Railway Bylines have had photos of the Allhallow on Sea branch around 1959-1961 which the latest issue in particular shows a number of passenger train workings of the prototype for everything form as aside from the expected H (31308, 31322, 31324, 31530, 31548 and 31551 identified)  on a push-pull set (481,609,  616,  652, 714 and 729 identified) there are Q1 33035 on the push-pull replacement set of a SECR 10 compartment third and BY passenger brake van  and non push pull fitted locos working with push pull sets -

C 31716 with Maunsell set 619

An unidentified Crompton with ex LBSCR set 716 !

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Hello, 

I have only just seen your post by perusing through previous pages! 

I wonder if you could tell me the magazine numbers of those 3 issues please? 

I'm very interested in anything to do with the Allhallows branch and it's workings as my home layout is closely based on it, currently under construction, all the track is laid, wired up and working. 

Lots of research done so far but i wonder if there are still some pictures around showing aspects of the branch that i haven't seen yet and thought that maybe i could order them as back issues, your help in this respect would be very much appreciated, if not, i still thank you for pointing these out! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

I have just ordered issues 3 and 4 (Volume 25) using the Guideline Publications website but they didn't have issue 5 available! Never mind, i'll probably give them a ring and make enquiries.

I also took out a 12 Month subscription! Lol!

Best wishes,

Jim.

Edited by Jeepy

On 03/04/2020 at 22:47, Butler Henderson said:

An unidentified Crompton with ex LBSCR set 716 !

Hi

Not quite as uncommon as it seems perhaps.  There is a photo in British Railways Past & Present Volume 20 Kent & East Sussex which shows D6521 coupled to a different unidentified pre-grouping pair of coaches (though visibly not of LBSC origin and indeed the caption suggests ex LC&DR) at Cliffe  on an Allhallows service.  The date given is 1st April 1961.

Kubes

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kubes said:

Hi

Not quite as uncommon as it seems perhaps.  There is a photo in British Railways Past & Present Volume 20 Kent & East Sussex which shows D6521 coupled to a different unidentified pre-grouping pair of coaches (though visibly not of LBSC origin and indeed the caption suggests ex LC&DR) at Cliffe  on an Allhallows service.  The date given is 1st April 1961.

Kubes

This is part of what fascinates me with the Allhallows branch, especially towards the end of it's life there seems to be all sorts of wierd and wonderful combinations of loco's/stock running on it, as well as the fact that the early part of my railway career was spent on the South Eastern section of British Rail (Long after it's closure!) around the Medway area including Hoo Junction yard and the Isle of Grain branch etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

the Middleton book for the branch has various photos of the 33s on passenger and freight services, including the last freight departure from Allhallows. 

in addition to the engine types mentioned above there are also photos of ex LCDR R1s and a D Class pulling 2 push-pull sets, an H class on a 9 coach set (an excursion) and three light engines including an Ivatt Class 2 tank (again noted as excursion engines). The book referred to by Kubes above also has a photo of an N class at Grain.

The exchange sidings at Sharnal Street with the Chattenden Naval Tramway / Kingsnorth Light Railway are also fascinating

A really excellent book is:

Between Downs and Thames - Railways of Gravesend, the Hoo Peninsular & Isle of Grain

Written by Rob Poole and published 2016 by him and in conjunction with CompletelyNovel.com

Regards

Gerry  - just a happy reader!