Quick update.  The Goods Shed is now in position on the layout.  A small grassy bank is also in the process of being constructed behind to frame the scene.

20200630_180225.jpg.36aab0af318f6de0702d8eb2b94bcea6.jpg

I decided that a small signal-box or ground frame is required.  I assume that it should be located somewhere near the bridge end of the layout in order for the imaginary signalman to exchange the imaginary staff or token with the imaginary driver or fireman of all trains arriving or leaving.  A box mounted on the platform would be ideal but is probably out of the question as the platform end near the bridge is already rather crowded.  That leaves the area of ground which is currently occupied by the lineside hut. I am pondering whether to locate the box adjacent to the hut.

Whilst perusing my copy of Southern Signals by G.Pryer, I came across a beautiful 'Brighton' ground level signal-box formerly situated at Adversane Crossing, situated between Billingshurst and Pulborough.  In the photo, the signalman is obligingly stood outside the box which gave me a rough idea of the dimensions.  Here's a rather cruel close-up of the box under construction.  The box measures 44mm x 38mm.

20200703_120110-1.jpg.1a981f51c9f6bb7da2f7281c88f09b04.jpg

If the box is situated adjacent to the lineside hut, the observer will be looking at the plain back of the structure and ends will also be on view.  Sadly, the front will not be seen.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hello Terry,

I've just been through the thread from the start, I like your track plan and the idea of the goods area being beyond but attached to the station not in completely separate sidings. It'll make for some very interesting operation.

Your initial inspiration and some of the later comments reminded me, of something and I've just remembered Adlestrop, not far from Morton in the Marsh and a poem written in Edwardian times just before WW1.

It's by Philp Edward Thomas;

Yes. I remember Adlestrop—
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June. 

The steam hissed. Someone cleared his throat.
No one left and no one came
On the bare platform. What I saw
Was Adlestrop—only the name 

And willows, willow-herb, and grass,
And meadowsweet, and haycocks dry,
No whit less still and lonely fair
Than the high cloudlets in the sky. 

And for that minute a blackbird sang
Close by, and round him, mistier,
Farther and farther, all the birds
Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

Hope you don't mind me C&P'ing all of it.

Cheers - Jim

Hello Jim.

Thanks for sharing the poem.  I think that it accurately sums up my vision of Farleigh.  Beautiful, peaceful countryside and not a lot happening!

Best wishes,

Terry

Posted (edited)

I had an interesting conversation with fellow club members last night on our virtual club meeting.  it was generally felt that the signal box should occupy the position currently occupied by the lineside hut, as shown here...

20200521_161202.jpg.97348bfd617b149fb16563ebca6786e6.jpg

The hut could be re-located further along the track, assuming it can be prised from the baseboard without damage.  It's glued down with PVA.  I also picked up some useful information regarding point rodding, signal wires, facing point locks and ground signals, all to be put into effect at a later date.

More soon.

Terry

Edited by col.stephens
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

I had an interesting conversation with fellow club members last night on our virtual club meeting.  it was generally felt that the signal box should occupy the position currently occupied by the lineside hut, as shown here...

20200403_170927.jpg.e56979e3d33906a87db743bb42133c1c.jpg

The hut could be re-located further along the track, assuming it can be prised from the baseboard without damage.  It's glued down with PVA.  I also picked up some useful information regarding point rodding, signal wires, facing point locks and ground signals, all to be put into effect at a later date.

More soon.

Terry

Hi Terry.  When the BRM team updated an older Art of Compromise Layout I think that is where it went, although maybe nearer the first point (I might even have been to hide a point motor, I can’t remember, sorry).

At Fairford, which is generally seen as the inspiration for the plan, it was on the platform and positioned to the left of the station building (ie, nearer the goods sidings).

I think the original plan shows a Ground Frame centrally next to the sidings - it almost looks like a hut for the coal staithes but is marked “G.F.” - the running line is nearer the front of the baseboard on the plan, so there’s less room.  I don’t think there’s a signal box at all (the example usually quoted here is Ashburton for GW termini, which didn’t have a signal box).

The suggested position works for the signal, but is further from the points.  I don’t know enough about signalling to know if there would be any need to collect / issue block tokens as a train entered or left the station, but my guess would be possibly not for a one engine in steam terminus?  Others will know more, but it looks like there are choices.  Keith.

Hello Keith.  Thanks for your interesting comments. Yes, the original plan in the Railway Modeller showed the ground frame virtually in the goods yard on the loco run-round loop.  Practically speaking, if the single line was being operated with a token, then it would make more sense to have the box somewhere near the platform to facilitate the exchange of tokens.   I have been advised that the point at the far end of the run-round loop could be operated by a hand lever by the loco crew, as no passenger stock will be working over it.  From a model railway point of view, it would be more interesting to have the option of running more than one loco on the layout, thus giving some credence to the signal box being situated where the lineside hut currently stands, to facilitate token exchanges as previously mentioned.  I must admit, I'm not looking forward to trying to prise the lineside hut from the baseboard!

Regards,

Terry

• Informative/Useful 1

The lineside hut, which had been secured to the baseboard with pva, proved surprisingly easy to remove.  I pushed a metal scraper tool under one corner and applied downward pressure which saw the hut suddenly spring off the baseboard and shoot across the layout.  Fortunately it was still in one piece with no damage.  I have had an interesting idea regarding the relocation of the hut, but more on this later.
The signal box is finally finished...

20200715_173153.jpg.7048e1ea30f72721a684f0d98cd1ba35.jpg

20200715_173510.jpg.6e161f153fbe808a914fecdc3d3fc813.jpg

Sadly, the last picture is how the box will be mainly seen as it will sit on the front of the layout, facing the platform opposite.  All of the detail on the front of the box won't be seen.  I was tempted to leave the front without detail but I'm a bit of a sucker as regards signal boxes.  I feel that they are crying out to be super-detailed.  Likewise, I was tempted not to add any interior detail but I realised that it would be patently obvious from the side view.  In any event, I figured that the box might eventually be recycled and pushed into use on a future layout, so it seemed prudent to finish it properly.  All interior detail was made from card except for a row of headless Peco track pins to represent the levers. Interior detail consists of lever frame, shelf with block instruments, etc., Tyer's No.6 Tablet Instrument, desk with Train Register, chair, stove and a clock.  All details derived from the book A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals by G. Pryer (OPC).

Constructional details: 1.5mm thick mount board mainly used, covered in Scalescenes' white clapboard paper, varnished and painted with a self-mixed stone colour in acrylic paint. Roof slates from Scalescenes.  Postcard for barge boards.  Windows made from discarded plastic packaging with thin card frames and self-adhesive label glazing bars. Gutters and downpipes from plastic strip (Evergreen). Fixing brackets on downpipes from self-adhesive label.  The rather fine fire buckets together with supporting brackets come from Dart Castings.  The finials presented me with an interesting problem.  None appeared to be available commercially during the Covid-19 lockdown period, so I resorted to using my mini-drill as a lathe and did a spot of miniature wood turning. They are made from the ends of wooden cocktail sticks, secured in the mini-drill and fashioned with needle files whilst being turned.  Strangely, quite an enjoyable experience.

More soon.

Terry 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The completed signal box was taken to the railway shed and placed on the layout.  That's when I noticed that the clapboard colour looked too pale compared to the platform awning and fencing immediately opposite.  A trudge back to the house followed and a quick repaint was undertaken.  A delicate operation considering the amount of green framing on the building, which had to be avoided with the brush.  Back to the shed only to find the colour was still too pale.  Repeated the process once again and satisfied with the result.   Here is the box in position, not fixed down as yet just in case of any slight relocation might be required.

20200718_182418.jpg.f6bd9f1b0590b48514eca9796d690ded.jpg

20200718_182532.jpg.bce0f6d8227bb80c6612845cf541c638.jpg

I previously mentioned an idea for the new location of the lineside hut.  I feel that if it is placed alongside the signal box that part of the layout will look a bit cluttered.  My idea is to remove it from the scenic side of the layout altogether and place it in the fiddle yard, just beyond the current small scenic section.  Extra scenery will be added around the hut to blend it in.  It will serve to help block the view into the fiddle yard and will enhance the illusion that the scenery carries on into the distance.  Something like this...

20200718_182445.jpg.5db9ff215d46e6fda38b1f92f22d8a6b.jpg

Any views?

Terry

• Like 12

A photo of the goods yard end of the layout. I'm currently trying to ascertain the best positions of both the coal office and the coal bins, neither of which is permanently fixed down as yet.

20200719_135634.jpg.be3b37ec38f7469be74b9e80d3a0e3ec.jpg

A couple of visitors at Farleigh this afternoon.  Adams' radial tank No.3250.  An Oxford Rail model and a nice runner.

20200719_135735.jpg.20ef6d46f1fd34c9d46f1144971c6bc8.jpg

Ex-LBSCR E4 class by Bachmann.  Superb model.

20200719_142211.jpg.dc94cf7c328df45a3a2befa6ea33a178.jpg

Terry

• Like 16

It has dawned on me that I may have posted this thread on the wrong forum and that it should be in the layout forum.  I wonder if a moderator would be kind enough to remedy this.  Thanks.

Terry

Just found this thread, and it ticks a couple of boxes for me, Southern branch line and its name, as I work in the signal box at East Farleigh, on the Medway Valley line in Kent.  The work you have done on the layout so far looks great and look forward to seeing more updates.

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 2

As regards the location of the signal-box, have you considered the view that the signalman will get of an approaching train with the bridge in the way?  IMHO at the other end of the platform would be far more likely.

Given your choice of a 'Brighton' box, have you decide to locate the station in ex-LB&SCR territory then?  In which case, a Tyer's ETT instrument would be unlikely IMHO, more probably a 'large' Webb & Thompson ETS machine - certainly no 'block instruments' on a shelf anyway.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you Colin, very kind of you.  Of course, this Farleigh is totally fictional.

Hello Chris.  Thanks for the useful info.  The layout is supposed to be loosely set somewhere in ex-LBSCR territory, mainly so I can run the current range of excellent Terriers.  Having said that, there might well be foreign visitors from other parts of the Southern.  Point taken about the signal box location. However, it proved impossible to find room for the box further down the layout without the scene looking cramped.  Anyway, my lazy signalman doesn't want to walk too far to do the token exchange!  Speaking of which, a foot crossing to make his job easier...

20200726_163745.jpg.a45f3f460e2625a8e480fe3343590aa6.jpg

The crossing was easily made from three pieces of 1mm thick greyboard, scribed and painted.

Terry

• Like 7

I remember the Roy Link article very well, it was one of those which I copied and put in my folder of 'possible layout ideas'. However when I did once consider making a version of it, unfortunately I did not have quite the length needed to do a version that suited me. It was going to be GWR using RTR items as a 'quickie' in-between SR layouts - I still have the Airfix 14XX + auto-coach in boxes somewhere!

One further comment.....there needs to be a trap-point at the exit from the siding which joins the line mid-way along the platform, also trap-points at the exits from the two sidings to the left of the platform, all required in order to protect the passenger-carrying platform line.

• Like 1

Hello Chris.  As you know, the article advocated the use of GWR items which were available at the time of publication.  The beauty of the design is that it can be easily adapted to any region or company, as suits the builder, although it is necessary to add a few inches to the width in order to achieve something akin to the published track layout.

It's not clear in the earlier photos in this thread but there are in fact trap points on both of the sidings at the goods yard end of the layout.  The point halfway along the platform is not a siding as such, it forms part of the loco run-round loop.  Would this require a trap point?

Terry

• Like 1

Ah... I did look, but missed them as they're not where I would expect :-)

1. Unless you are going to make the run-round loop a passenger line, then yes - it does need a trap at the exit by the platform.

2. Unless you are going to make the left-going extension of the platform line a passenger line all the way to the buffers, which bring additional complications of its own, then (based on the Looe and Fairford examples) everything to the left of the LH end of the platform is non-passenger. Therefore the trap in the goods-shed road is superfluous, but should actually be further towards the platform in line with the trap in the coal yard road.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this building is often modelled, but I caught sight of it in the background of the photograph of Adversane Crossing signal box.  My Lords, Ladies and Gentleman, I give you...the signalman's privy...

20200802_150258.jpg.cda74a529ba2c2dde9c294abf18dab1c.jpg

As usual, made from mount board (1mm thick), postcard door and corners with a Peco track pin as a door knob.  Scalescenes' papers for the clapboard and slate roof. Painted with thinned acrylics.

Just some slight weathering required using watercolour paints. The base is a square measuring just 24mm.

Terry

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Continuing the saga of Farleigh signal box.  I observed this in a photo in the book previously mentioned,  hiding under the stairs of a Southern signal box.  Modelled in card with Scalescenes' clapboard paper.  Measuring just 16mm x 16mm.  Somewhere for the signalman to keep his coal.  Just needs topping-up with coal and a handy shovel nearby.

20200805_081840.jpg.8a4c1712061c49204bca8b212d2c5299.jpg

Terry

Edited by col.stephens
  • Like 5

I finally decided on the positioning of the coal bins and coal office.  The bins are situated as per the original article in the Railway Modeller.  I have moved the coal office forward adjacent to the track from its original position against the backscene.  Models from Scalescenes.  Coal from layers of black carbonaceous rock consisting of layers of partially decomposed vegetation deposited in the Carboniferous period!  Oh yes, and hit hard with a hammer!

20200810_195553.jpg.83cddcb61b69f76ce7c1a4dc93df3392.jpg

Terry

• Like 5

Assuming the coal in the staiths is intended for onward distribution by lorry, is there room for a lorry to get paste the end of the goods shed and in-between the two sidings, and then park there and load without fouling the adjacent siding?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RailWest said:

Assuming the coal in the staiths is intended for onward distribution by lorry, is there room for a lorry to get paste the end of the goods shed and in-between the two sidings, and then park there and load without fouling the adjacent siding?

Hello Chris.  Yes, I think if he reversed in with his tailgate adjacent to the left wall of the coal bins, it is manageable.  However, one has to accept that there is an element of artistic licence involved.  I didn't want all that lovely glistening coal to be facing the backscene.  Similar problem with the front of the signal box facing the backscene.  I couldn't squeeze it in on the other side of the track.  Of course, now that every structure is glued down, I realise that possibly I could have sited the water tower on the opposite side of the track beneath the lighting pelmet, then put the signal box beneath the platform ramp. Duh!

Terry

Edited by col.stephens
Insert missing words.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)

More detail slowly being added.  This SR loading gauge is constructed from a Ratio kit which I picked up secondhand at a show some time ago.  Best 50p's worth I have had in a long time!

20200817_203548.jpg.a9f38f3fe82bb24bb7ddc9f85aa0f564.jpg

I have been intending to extend the small piece of scenery in the fiddle-yard which is  supposed to give the impression, when looking under the bridge from the scenic section, that the scenery and track carry on into the distance. I thought that the lineside hut, originally placed where the signal box now resides, would enhance the view under the bridge.  Well,  I finally got around to the job and here it is...

20200821_171537.jpg.52218b9617c2c3a13df82986e2647437.jpg

The track ballast was also extended further into the fiddle-yard.

This is the view from the scenic section…

20200821_171601-1.jpg.408eeac41b1b2c78b5d4c770475c3e7d.jpg

Much better than a view of bare boards, operator's hands, spare stock and tea mugs, don't you think?

I decided to add the layout name to the lighting pelmet.  These are 100mm high self-adhesive vinyl letters, obtained from ebay for just over £6.

20200821_153433.jpg.60e0d89d969e5a4652cb42c287506c0f.jpg

Turning my thoughts to further detailing of the goods yard including yard gates and fencing, coal scales and sacks.  I'm also thinking about installing a telegraph pole near the signal box with the wires disappearing under the bridge, but that may have to wait until the point rodding and signal wires are installed. 

Terry

Edited by col.stephens
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I like the idea of the 'extra' bit of scenery in an otherwise non-scenic section, looks very good when viewed from the right angle. A neat touch :-)

• Agree 5