Sophia's WKR workshop

1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

Nice colour, looks great

Are you still thinking of a grey roof too?

Thanks, would you believe it's a red primer from Poundland? I wish I'd bought more cans of it!

Definitely going for the grey roofs, though I think a darker grey would look better than a primer grey

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've got some of those Farish suburbans I'm planning on mating with Airfix/Dapol LMS non-corridor underframes and shells chopped to make Tilbury section P.II 55ft stock; well a couple of coaches anyway, the third one will have Ratio Midland sides rearranged to a P.I Brake Third. All to be in BR unlined Crimson &/or Maroon.

TilburyBT.jpg.e3a0204e7c6aab2ae6d6c14d05d3bfdd.jpg

The other side has since been done too, but I still need to make the duckets.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

41 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I've got some of those Farish suburbans I'm planning on mating with Airfix/Dapol LMS non-corridor underframes and shells chopped to make Tilbury section P.II 55ft stock; well a couple of coaches anyway, the third one will have Ratio Midland sides rearranged to a P.I Brake Third. All to be in BR unlined Crimson &/or Maroon.

TilburyBT.jpg.e3a0204e7c6aab2ae6d6c14d05d3bfdd.jpg

The other side has since been done too, but I still need to make the duckets.

I was tempted to get this style of coaches but they would have cost twice as much, so I passed on that.

I would be very interested in how to make the duckets so I could maybe make an older style coach on a shorter frame.

On 09/04/2020 at 18:01, Sophia NSE said:

Today's achievements are some sanding and another coat of primer as well as opening out the buffer holes to accept the sprung buffers

IMG20200409175845.jpg.5ceb9c1fae8c53449a25f6185ad46eb0.jpg

IMG20200409175852.jpg.6c739438b100d62bc3a211cda1a7a2b3.jpg

Well, you've certainly kept yourself busy. How goes your model so far?

I mean, it's amazing how you were able to bring a new lease of life into the old Tri-ang models as well as Wrenn, Tri-ang Hornby and Hornby Railways. I know I probably would.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Well, you've certainly kept yourself busy. How goes your model so far?

I mean, it's amazing how you were able to bring a new lease of life into the old Tri-ang models as well as Wrenn, Tri-ang Hornby and Hornby Railways. I know I probably would.

It's not too bad for someone who didn't have a clue what she was doing when she started!

I did give the buffer beams a coat of the same red that went onto the coach but obviously it's much darker than the orangey red of the buffer shanks (is that the right term for them?) It is however very similar to the red used by the SECR so it might look good as lining on a green loco.

IMG20200412115700.jpg.4cc6c936e801f1ac3a67a0b59d40a31a.jpg

I'm still amazed that other modellers are actually interested in this project and I definitely plan to make a layout for it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophia NSE said:

I'm still amazed that other modellers are actually interested in this project and I definitely plan to make a layout for it

I think anyone who considers themselves to be a modeller would be interested. It's the same reason we have always bought the magazines and attended the shows. We like to see a bit of ingenuity and craft which inspires us to try something similar and to pick up the saw or scalpel and start our own hacking.

I have been watching this conversion with interest and can only say keep up the good work!

Dave R.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Devo63 said:

I think anyone who considers themselves to be a modeller would be interested. It's the same reason we have always bought the magazines and attended the shows. We like to see a bit of ingenuity and craft which inspires us to try something similar and to pick up the saw or scalpel and start our own hacking.

I have been watching this conversion with interest and can only say keep up the good work!

Dave R.

Thanks Dave, it's been relatively painless so far so either it was a good idea or I'm being lulled into a false sense of security!

13 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Thank you for posting your project, I find it very inspiring and encourages me to further efforts, poor by comparison though they may be (I don't call myself Artless Bodger for nothing).

My efforts are more state of that than state of the art, but I'm glad what I do encourages others

The next loco has rolled into the WKR's Tovil works for its repaint.

IMG20200416210833.jpg.0acb9fcaad6ada76d1ba7fcf601d5225.jpg

Some handrail holes have been drilled out by the previous owner, although none above the smokebox door. The middle holes on each side will be filled in as they are superfluous.

A couple of questions if I may. How do I go about changing the thread title as the Q1 has come out much better than anticipated and maybe the title has underestimated my skills (admittedly appear to have underestimated my skills).

Secondly, are H class handrails available as spares and if so could someone put a link to them? If not, which handrails would be suitable for both locos?

Fankyoo Mrs. Patterson!

On 15/04/2020 at 15:45, Sophia NSE said:

Still a few little things to do but I couldn't resist a few pics

IMG20200415153628.jpg.1e4deed541b70f959abfba7a39f04329.jpg

IMG20200415153638.jpg.2d85045fe6e912d4337f216cbbb9e629.jpg

IMG20200415153851.jpg.31f5e8b5ffce2485886a3db2bbbc6c28.jpg

And a kind of before and after shot

IMG20200415153654.jpg.f209af8f8444ec7738a2a1ea435a1b2b.jpg

21 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

The next loco has rolled into the WKR's Tovil works for its repaint.

IMG20200416210833.jpg.0acb9fcaad6ada76d1ba7fcf601d5225.jpg

Some handrail holes have been drilled out by the previous owner, although none above the smokebox door. The middle holes on each side will be filled in as they are superfluous.

A couple of questions if I may. How do I go about changing the thread title as the Q1 has come out much better than anticipated and maybe the title has underestimated my skills (admittedly appear to have underestimated my skills).

Secondly, are H class handrails available as spares and if so could someone put a link to them? If not, which handrails would be suitable for both locos?

Fankyoo Mrs. Patterson!

Just found your thread Sophia and wow, you've certainly got a shift on. That Q1 most certainly looks the part, well done. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Just found your thread Sophia and wow, you've certainly got a shift on. That Q1 most certainly looks the part, well done. 

Haha thanks. This lockdown is at least good for modelling if nothing else. Got the coaches to work on too once a certain pound shop gets a new supply of red primer in!

4 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Indeed. By the way, how did you get your lining looking so neat? Mine always comes out looking terrible.

The Q1 hasn't actually been painted, she's been *ahem* coloured in with permanent markers! I actually did the lining first and filled in the green afterwards. How permanent the colours are remains to be seen and there might be calls for me to be exiled by more serious modellers!:jester::jester:

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

The Q1 hasn't actually been painted, she's been *ahem* coloured in with permanent markers! I actually did the lining first and filled in the green afterwards. How permanent the colours are remains to be seen and there might be calls for me to be exiled by more serious modellers!:jester::jester:

Meh. Being serious is overrated. If it works, it works.