Sophia's WKR workshop

While still waiting for the 14xx (apparently its at the local Hermes hub :lol_mini::lol_mini:), the works foreman at Tovil has noticed how similar EPB cab ends are to their Maunsell push pull counterparts and has cobbled together a mock up for the directors to evaluate

IMG20200430175956.jpg.f1a528df216bc0097eed1683b3408042.jpg

IMG20200430180011.jpg.40b34ef51252ea7a6dd15031cb4df1e4.jpg

• Like 4

The 14xx has arrived, no thanks to Hermes leaving it on the doorstep in the rain. It actually looks to be a really nice model and I almost feel bad about chopping the chassis

IMG20200501191529.jpg.732ef7ebb57d41c93c5fc8a81a468ab5.jpg

IMG20200501192023.jpg.c08cea806b5dc627319f98a70d13b44c.jpg

At least I remembered to test it first :D:D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hermes and Yodel are the worst delivery services in the world....actually no! in the universe!

When I order anything I always ask who they use for deliveries, if the say Hermes I politely say no thank you and I order from elsewhere

I always asks before buying anything on eBay too

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sophia NSE said:

I almost feel bad about chopping the chassis

Don't feel bad, it's only Great Western :jester:

Also, loving the work you are doing! The South East is the best part of the country, both in real life and model form!!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Don't feel bad, it's only Great Western :jester:

Also, loving the work you are doing! The South East is the best part of the country, both in real life and model form!!

Gary

Haha thanks. I don't think I could model anywhere else. I do have a plan for a layout that I should be able to start on soon.

I think you mean "Great" Western :lol_mini:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Oh now this is frustrating. It goes backwards but not forwards. I haven't even started hacking it yet :angry:

If you turn the chassis backwards, then the loco will run forward.

But on a serious note, I hope you can find a solution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justang said:

If you turn the chassis backwards, then the loco will run forward.

But on a serious note, I hope you can find a solution.

Thanks. I'm not mechanically minded so I have no idea what to do.

I have been spray painting today but I'm not entirely sure if I like the shade of green or not

IMG20200502211800.jpg.2b9738b92c974c2ec09e2383b7ee64ea.jpg

The coaches have had a spray too and you can see the difference in shade and finish between Poundland and Halfords red primer

IMG20200502212149.jpg.4ebf8c475b29e2603d9363bcac3d9058.jpgIMG20200502212040.jpg.c93721cd92ed389c9d8f63961f9261ae.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not sure I would go for white, a cream would be better, white (even today) doesn't really stay white.

The problem with your choice of red oxide is that it is very close to the old BR plain red livery that was given to non-corridors during the Blood and Custard period.

I would suggest something like Niles Blue and Cream livery, or a green and cream.....

Andy G

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Not sure I would go for white, a cream would be better, white (even today) doesn't really stay white.

The problem with your choice of red oxide is that it is very close to the old BR plain red livery that was given to non-corridors during the Blood and Custard period.

I would suggest something like Niles Blue and Cream livery, or a green and cream.....

Andy G

Can't disagree with you there. Something looked a bit off to me and I couldn't work it out. I want something a bit different to show that the WKR is independent while still looking believable.

Somewhere in the back of my mind was a comment in one of the books that the cream colour (and several other hues) was accidental, the result of the varnish applied over the intended colour yellowing due to the sunlight with the result that whites often ended up as creams, etc.

My favourite combinations were always umber/yellow * and purple/white, but neither of those colours would have been adopted by a light railway because of the more expensive paints. Colonel Stephens favoured Blue for the Rother Valley line in the early days.

* I remember now that Firefly at the Rockanore Railway along the beach at Hastings had this colour scheme, I loved that engine far mroe than the Royal Scot and Hampton Court.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

Somewhere in the back of my mind was a comment in one of the books that the cream colour (and several other hues) was accidental, the result of the varnish applied over the intended colour yellowing due to the sunlight with the result that whites often ended up as creams, etc.

My favourite combinations were always umber/yellow * and purple/white, but neither of those colours would have been adopted by a light railway because of the more expensive paints. Colonel Stephens favoured Blue for the Rother Valley line in the early days.

* I remember now that Firefly at the Rockanore Railway along the beach at Hastings had this colour scheme, I loved that engine far mroe than the Royal Scot and Hampton Court.

How funny, I live in Hastings!

I was thinking of a purple and cream combination. Perhaps one of the directors used to travel on the LNWR (they used purple, right?) and stumped up the cash for the expensive paint...

On 26/04/2020 at 13:48, Sophia NSE said:

It's been a bit quiet at Tovil Works this week while waiting for the new 14xx to arrive, though the first goods stock has arrived

IMG20200426134010.jpg.3a8276561cb44570bf7aa03ad043b0fd.jpg

A Dapol 12 ton van for less than the price of a pint. Its missing a couple of buffers so I need a replacement set. That Hornby 4 wheel coach seems to sit far too high compared to everything else for my liking

Hi.

Nice work on the Q and the R1.

Tovil - that stirs memories, my Grandfather worked in Allnutt's paper mill, on school summer holiday walks mum used to take us in to see him, you could just walk in off the street. The Tovil Goods branch crossed the road just along from the mill entrance. Mum used to have some photos of a lancashire loiler being delivered to the mill - a C class I think brought it into the yard where it was rolled off the wagon and down the embankment, then jacked onto a trailer with solid tyres and pulled round to the mill by a traction engine, the shame is the photos were probably dumped after mum died. That would have been about late 1920s - the loco had Southern on the tender. We also used to walk up or down the Loose valley, where the KESR extension was supposed to run - potentially paper, pulp and rags would have been among the traffic handled. Paper mills long gone now - all housing estates, what a waste.

I dream of an ideal layout, based on Maidstone West, with the KESR connection, and the one ended electrification from Strood, I'll never do it but I can dream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Artless Bodger said:

Hi.

Nice work on the Q and the R1.

Tovil - that stirs memories, my Grandfather worked in Allnutt's paper mill, on school summer holiday walks mum used to take us in to see him, you could just walk in off the street. The Tovil Goods branch crossed the road just along from the mill entrance. Mum used to have some photos of a lancashire loiler being delivered to the mill - a C class I think brought it into the yard where it was rolled off the wagon and down the embankment, then jacked onto a trailer with solid tyres and pulled round to the mill by a traction engine, the shame is the photos were probably dumped after mum died. That would have been about late 1920s - the loco had Southern on the tender. We also used to walk up or down the Loose valley, where the KESR extension was supposed to run - potentially paper, pulp and rags would have been among the traffic handled. Paper mills long gone now - all housing estates, what a waste.

I dream of an ideal layout, based on Maidstone West, with the KESR connection, and the one ended electrification from Strood, I'll never do it but I can dream.

I'm originally from Maidstone and my layout plan is that the WKR took over the planned KESR route, looking at a further branch to Lenham although they only managed to get to Chart Sutton. In return for running into the up bay at Maidstone West, the WKR allow the Southern the paper traffic from the mills at Tovil, having bought that section of line and hop pickers specials run through to Chart Sutton.

The Q1 actually went together without much fuss, the chassis is more of a faff though!

10 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Where would your junction be for the Lenham branch? I'd assume around Boughton quarries or Brishing Lane?

Nice area to model. 

Having taken another look at the lay of the land the junction would likely be at Boughton Quarries. A small section of the branch will have been built but with money being tight and my layout will being set in the early 60s the line has been truncated to Chart Sutton.

• Thanks 1

Not just any old purple but Imperator toga purple !

I used to visit Maidstone as a lad, my grandparents lived in Broomfield. I remember how fascinated I was to see the buses change colour, they were green and cream where I lived, but in Maidstone you also saw the red and cream of the East Kent buses mixing it.

I lived in Hawkhurst at the time. I was always fascinated by the story that there had been plans to extend the line down to Rye or Appledore, it's one of my maybe-layouts that probably will only ever get done in Trainz.

• Like 2