Sophia's WKR workshop

18 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Nice, rounded corners looks better than square to my mind.

Lighter shade of green on the Q1? 

Yep I thought that black and white lining would stand out more. I'm going for a combination of SECR and Southern.

The test lining was done with a Uni Posca pen and a steady hand. I'll probably mask up the Q1 to get straighter edges

• Like 1

Neat. Wish I could do as well. Whatever the outcome of my model projects my painting always manages to ruin it. Years ago when I could still see well enough to do it I enjoyed 54mm Napoleonic figure model making, but even if I got all the belts and buckles done ok, the facial features made them all look like Marty Feldman. Unlined black has to be my livery of choice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Neat. Wish I could do as well. Whatever the outcome of my model projects my painting always manages to ruin it. Years ago when I could still see well enough to do it I enjoyed 54mm Napoleonic figure model making, but even if I got all the belts and buckles done ok, the facial features made them all look like Marty Feldman. Unlined black has to be my livery of choice.

It helps a lot that the boiler bands and splashers have quite pronounced mould lines.

My painting was like that with Warhammer figures, armies of Marty Feldman and Steve Buscemi!

• 2 weeks later...

The sun is out and I took the opportunity to photo a couple of the WKR's locos in some natural light

IMG20200820153203.jpg.7c6a3fddffe793939bcca09d6dd30c86.jpg

IMG20200820153506.jpg.dda753718922c128c37fcf9fc346c523.jpg

Was a bit nervous chopping bits out of a Nellie/7178 but I'm very pleased with how it looks so far. Just need a tiny bit of filler under the splashers and to fill under and file out the spectacle plates. I need to order another paint pen to continue the Q1's lining

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Can you get the paint pens in a metal compass? If you can you could use the compass to offset, so you can follow the edge of say the footplate. Ideally needs a compass that has a screw adjustment shaft so that they stay set.

I offset with a bow compass and have been really happy with it...

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Can you get the paint pens in a metal compass? If you can you could use the compass to offset, so you can follow the edge of say the footplate. Ideally needs a compass that has a screw adjustment shaft so that they stay set.

I offset with a bow compass and have been really happy with it...

Andy G

Interesting idea, I'll have to get a cheap metal compass this weekend and find out otherwise its a lot of masking tape and hope!

• RMweb Premium

Try getting one with the screw adjustment and with a removable point. Replace the point with a bit of brass wire, as this will be straight all the way up its length, and also will be less likely to scratch your paintwork if you slip...

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 3