Sophia's WKR workshop

That is an excellent conversion. I'm now wondering if I can convert one into a Wainright rebuild of the Stirling O class into an O1. I think it will have to be loco-driven as the tender is quite a bit narrower.

I'v got a pair of Airfix 4F's but for sentimental reasons I can't chop them around, so it's going to be a chassis build for me.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AdamsRadial said:

That is an excellent conversion. I'm now wondering if I can convert one into a Wainright rebuild of the Stirling O class into an O1. I think it will have to be loco-driven as the tender is quite a bit narrower.

I'v got a pair of Airfix 4F's but for sentimental reasons I can't chop them around, so it's going to be a chassis build for me.

I'm very pleased with what I've achieved in such a short time and once finished it should look good next to my Q1. 

Those narrow tenders do make thinking of doing that conversion a bit more difficult, though loco drive is very possible

• Like 2

On reflection I realised an O1 is not easy because the cab is the same width as the tender sides. That's a slightly more complicated hack.

Looking more closely at your pictures I'm impressed with how little the motor body extends above the tender top, it's going to be quite easy to form a plastic coal mound around it without having the loco look like it's been prepped for a major cross-country run.

ETA

My purchased C-class just arrived and in browsing through the bitsa drawers I found an Airfix 4f loco chassis I'd totally forgotten I had. Sadly there's no tender drive, and the dean-goods tender drive unit has too great an axle spacing to fit the C tender body, so I'm going to try an old project, of converting the Airfix 4F loco chassis to direct drive.

Edited by AdamsRadial
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamsRadial said:

On reflection I realised an O1 is not easy because the cab is the same width as the tender sides. That's a slightly more complicated hack.

Looking more closely at your pictures I'm impressed with how little the motor body extends above the tender top, it's going to be quite easy to form a plastic coal mound around it without having the loco look like it's been prepped for a major cross-country run.

ETA

My purchased C-class just arrived and in browsing through the bitsa drawers I found an Airfix 4f loco chassis I'd totally forgotten I had. Sadly there's no tender drive, and the dean-goods tender drive unit has too great an axle spacing to fit the C tender body, so I'm going to try an old project, of converting the Airfix 4F loco chassis to direct drive.

I have seen others using  clingfilm as a base for their coal load so the motor housing just pushes that up. I used the tender chassis from the C and cut a big enough hole to fit the motor through, with extra holes to attach the weight 

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised I've posted plenty in the Pugbash thread and not my own! 

IMG20210808145810.jpg.4e6a5ae8cbadfe3b7f6c8df261e17c58.jpg

C class from a GBL static model and an Airfix 4F. Yes that is a future victim in the background :biggrin_mini2: 

IMG20210808145457.jpg.88ce42301c283d0f86bf5e3d735e9f9c.jpg

IMG20210808145507.jpg.ebf209a7f57d484e83371816b46d28ed.jpg

I think you can tell where this is going... 

IMG20210808145519.jpg.25d4b9cf74e4641e2dc3cd334d5902e4.jpg

Don't worry, this won't stay like this. I chopped off the clerestory part and will replace it with plasticard. Hopefully I can get myself a brake coach to do the same to

Edited by Sophia NSE
More words
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

I like that idea!!

and not just because I have another of those carriages in the shop!! :jester:

Nothing wrong with having a few projects on the go. Speaking of which... 

IMG20210810171143.jpg.6929a731c4f0a5edf64011742a1e1e85.jpg

IMG20210810171150.jpg.c14986cef7864fbb87b1e7c4667c1202.jpg

Probably not quite right, but I do have the Russell book of Southern locos on its way :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Looking good so far!! I can't wait to see how many locos you suddenly end up making once you have Russell!!

It's all your fault! :P Everything so far has been done by guesswork but I'm liking how it looks so far. It'll need plenty of filler to get it looking better

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

More than happy to take the blame!!

I can recommend a good shop to buy all that filler from :P

I still have most of a tube of filler that I bought last year so no problems there. I would think that 5 locos would be enough for my eventual layout 

Q1 x2 

R1 

Quarry works shunter 

Though the second Q1 can wait a while until I get another working chassis

• Like 1