Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A thread about the shed

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, a very belated happy New Year to you all....

Sorry I haven't updated the work of late. Yes, I've been on the Forum, but I couldn't get my backside in gear to actually write about it. The shed project continues, to the point where we are now installing expanded foam insulation, filling any gaps, and first fix on the interior walls with OSB board. Exterior cladding continues, but it's blessed cold out there!  The incoming electric cable has now made it through the floor, and Mrs Smith will install the fuses & board.  Once bolted in, we can withdraw the extension lead from the garage, which has sufficed for the past year.

As usual, some rubbish photos, hopefully you'll see where it's going. Whilst uploading, I've lost some photos, so hopefully I'll get some more done tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ian.

IMAG1513[1].jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Folks. Once again apologies for my thread absence.  I haven't been too well, and although I've visited RM web, the shed has fallen by the wayside. 

Where were we? Oh yes!  Cladding has re-started on the exterior, and 30% of the ceiling has been installed, along with the 150mm Kingspan in between the roof trusses. Today will see some completion on the stairs to the entrance.  Mrs Smith has installed the distribution boards on a temporary basis, until I'm ready for more first fix electrics. 

With this weather, I'm pleased to say the inside is mildly pleasant; far better than I expected.  I'll try to get some more photos later.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

A bit of a 'bad run' from Tuesday. I shuttered up & poured a block to lift the shed stairs away from the damp floor.  However, A poor choice of material mixture on my part was a disaster. On Wednesday, the shuttering came off, and I started to drill down for the locating brackets for the stair runners... Oh dear, what a calamity!  The concrete turned to dust... Mutter, mutter...

So, today was removing the old (new) block, re-shuttering, and pour a new one.  In this weather, I've been keeping the new block well covered to avoid too much evaporation.  Nice & cool inside this morning; about 17 degrees C.  I'll leave this new block another 24 hours before I strike off the shuttering. In addition, I found a litre of PVA  in the garage.... In ya go....

Early mornings here, and the front elevation of the shed is in shade, so I'll be making a start of the cladding battens, and soffits. 

So another couple of photos. I don't know who poured this damaged block; I wouldn't employ him......

IMG0005A.jpg

IMG0007A.jpg

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Just now, chris p bacon said:

It's quite likely it dried out too quickly with this hot weather and subsequently didn't cure properly, I'd also be tempted to wait 48 hours before drilling into the new one.

:good:

Yes Dave. You're most probably right.  I made a stiffer mix this time around, added the PVA, and  also made it a bit wetter than I would normally think was 'alright'.  It's covered over with some boards right now, so I probably won't touch it until Friday-Saturday. I've got a lot of 'snags' to finish off, so there's plenty to be getting along. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

It's quite likely it dried out too quickly with this hot weather and subsequently didn't cure properly, I'd also be tempted to wait 48 hours before drilling into the new one.

:good:

I'll second this, but cover the concrete with a damp fabric and keep it damp for at least 24 hours. If it's not too late consider putting a membrane underneath to stop the ground from absorbing the water also. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, I hope you're all doing OK.

Apologies from here, but Black Dog has bitten my bum, so very little shed work has taken place.  Add to that, there's some extensive house alteration at Chez Smith going on: Today being a plumbing day....

railway aspirations have diminished a bit, but the the overall picture is 'up'. 

There is also a new (sort of) complimentary project that has appeared recently, but I'll put some pictures up when there is more to show.

Belated Happy New Year, by the way,.... Where's my solder?

Ian.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A post over on the 'early risers' thread got me thinking:- Did I write something about the shed? Oh yes, here it is.... Well, Black Dog did indeed visit, and stayed far too long. On the plus side, the brighter weather has lifted the spirits somewhat. Picking up an unfinished job can be a real PITA. I'm trying to remember what I was doing. Not the work, as such, more the techniques that need remembering. All being well, tomorrow will see the north-facing end gable finished off. I still have the ceiling insulation to finished (2/3rd  to go) and the ceiling itself, also 2/3

The phone contract is up for renewal, so I'll get one that takes pictures instead of lithograph.  More pictures will follow this weekend. 

Have a great weekend folks!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Harry's Back!! Yahoooooooooooooo.............

Or is it Tom?  Yahoooooooooooooooo..........

Hang on, nope....it's Ian.....

Yahooooooooooooooo.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to one & all for your kind comments. So, what's happened? I stopped completely for the last year, but progress has started to pick up. I'm currently putting the ceiling up, in 10mm OSB. Prior to that, the insulation is 150mm Kingspan, but I think I've mentioned that before. 

should finish the ceiling this week, and then some painting. After that, some surface mounted electrics. 

I will get some photos, weather permitting. 

Naughty Black Dog! Down Boy: Down!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Black dog needs a good kicking, but I know it's not as easy as that.  You do seem to be at last entering the home straight on this project, though, and the baseboards should be going down soon, yay!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers John. The legs for the baseboard have been 'in stock'* for about 9-10 years. That said, it's still early doors. The last segment of 150mm Kingspan has just been fitted, so I'm having a cuppa as I write this. The last piece of OSB (about 4x4') is the last bit, so I might do this after tea. 

* One of my mentors was one Malcolm Rowe, a third-generation steelworker from  Cardiff East Moors. He was forever putting stuff aside for 'that'll come in handy for....'  As industrious as he was for collecting stuff, he would also pass stuff on if he thought it would help. Some might have called him a scrounger, but he was an excellent facilitator way before the phrase became popular. 'I've got that in stock' was his regular phrase. I still use it, and I'm glad to say others now use it. 

A true gentleman of his time; sadly missed.

• Like 4