Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A thread about the shed

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Some more excellent weather has allowed me to do a bit of catching up. Knowing my luck, It'll rain now.... However, the truss work is finally, fully completed. Along with the upper woodwork being 'pulled in' as the coach bolts were driven home, was somewhat gratifying. At last, off with the diagonal bracing, and the building emerges Parthenon-like from the building site.  Readers will know about the 'Modelling Mojo'. Well, this is a close second place....

Some more photos. Tomorrow, weather permitting, sees me going up in the world....

IMAG1413_BURST002[1].jpg

IMAG1414[1].jpg

IMAG1415[1].jpg

Looks like the Welsh Acropolis!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. One thought occurred to me today, whilst firing in the top coach bolts (screwing them, actually). I happened to to look at the box of diminishing stock, and thought " I don't need to order any more of them." Working through the phases allows assets to come up off the floor. Mrs Smith likes it as well. She can see the clutter disappearing, which means there's more space. I'm even getting questions with the words "Is there anything you want/need doing?" And, on a daily basis.....

More tomorrow....

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Complete with Ellgyn Marbls?  There’s lovely, chwarae teg nawr, isn’t it...

No, we couldn't afford the Elgin marbles, so e'll have to make do with Energlyn Marbles. (They're near Caerphilly).  Right now, we're sarking the roof. It's a labourious job, but I think it'll pay dividends in the long term. Despite ordering what I thought was enough 8" board, it appears we are short by about 2-3 of these (dammit). I altered the job to include parts for the top wallplate, and I didn't take this into account. 

One upside is the steady reduction of offcuts & surplus bits. We're now getting ever more stuff off the floor.   This week will see the ordering of the  exterior cladding, and the shortfall of sarking boards. 

No photographs, sadly. Well, not today. But! There's always tomorrow. 

There will be no sacrificing of sheep, but we've got some fresh mint growing in abundance....

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Despite ordering what I thought was enough 8" board, it appears we are short by about 2-3 of these (dammit). I altered the job to include parts for the top wallplate, and I didn't take this into account. 

Glitch in the Quantity Surveying department then, Ian?  Schoolchum of mine went into this game; most corrupt profession I've ever come across, not regarding estate agency as a profession...  

To put things in perspective, and perhaps a smile on Ian's face, a little story about my own competence in quantity surveying.  Many years ago, when I got married, we bought a little house in Bridge Street, Abertillery, all gone under the new bypass now but a lovely spot with a pub at the end of the road.  House was cheap and needed redecorating.  As you did in those days, we decided that the cheapest most effective method for the living room was woodchip to be painted over Magnoila, a highly original plan; bet nobody else thought of it in the early 80s...

Encouraged by the local hardware shop knocking woodchip out at half price, I set to working out how much we'd need to do the job, a living room in a small terraced house.  I took my time and was careful to get it right, double and treble checking; all results agreed that I needed 28 drops of woodchip.  Satisfied with myself and my cleverness, I went up the pub at the end of the road knowing that I had found the most cost effective way of papering the living room.  Following morning, a bright and breezy Saturday, I walked up to the hardware shop and asked the man for 28 rolls of woodchip.  He asked me if I was sure and I told him, confidence radiating from every pore, that I worked it all out and triple checked it, so he began passing rolls of woodchip over the counter.  Even when I was nearly buried under a pile of them and had to walk down the hill balancing the enormous load it still didn't dawn on me.

The ex spotted my mistake immediately she opened the door to the sweating breathless heap beneath a sea of woodchip.  28 drops does not equate to 28 rolls Johnster you idiot; IIRC we did the room and the stairwell in less than 5 rolls.  Like many newlyweds, several of our chums were going through the same rigmarole, and their houses, dotted around the valleys, ended up being done in my surplus woodchip, and my dad's new bungalow, and several rooms in his mates' various des. res' as well.  When he died, there were still half a dozen in his garage when I cleared it out.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes; been there, done that ( sort of).  This shortfall exists because of the upgrade of the construction process. When the walls were raised, the top wallplate had a modification to make individual recesses to accept the roof trusses. The sectional thickness of a  completed truss is 70mm. With that, I installed a series of noggins at the junction of each upright, formed such that each truss sits in its own little seat. The seat width is 72mm. Even so, you could wiggle each truss to get them vertical, and each one braced off against its brother. I screwed into the truss seats from below, using coach screws. The result is a very rigid roof, and better than I thought it might turn out. 

Below that, at eaves level, is- are  the original 8" boards, turned vertical to form part of the trusswork, mentioned earlier. These boards also form part of the eaves work, and will form a register for the gutters & brackets. 

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Text clean-up.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2020 at 21:33, chuffinghell said:

Now that’s what I call a shed!..it’s coming along a treat

Makes our 8ft x 6ft look like a kids playhouse :lol:

Thanks Chris. I'll be knocking on your door when this is finished. AA6? Yes please...

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

We're having a bit of a 'slow day' today. The hot weather is knocking me about a bit, so it's an hour on, hour off sort of thing. However, I've managed to get the great majority of the eastern side of the sark boards fixed in place. There is a final fillet of narrower boards to run down to 3 1/2 ", or 80mm-ish, and this takes the final on this side, up to the apex. 

Once that's done, the next job is to fix box profile sheets to this first side. I haven't done box profile work since Granny was a child, so lots of 'looking at' is going on. 

Some photos of the pockets we've constructed to accept the trusses.  The exterior board is affixed to the wallplate, but turned vertical though its axis. I've run a chamfer down the length of the board. This chamfered board allows a ''first fix' register, as when the truss is first installed, it 'hooks over' on a temporary basis. Once squared up & braced, the final coach screws locks it all together. 

Usual rubbish photos, but hopefully you can see how the work goes together. At this time of day, taking photos is a non-starter, as the contrast is rubbish. I'll try to take  some later on.

Cheers,

Ian. 

IMAG1422[1].jpg

IMAG1425[1].jpg

IMAG1424[1].jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another week of progress here at Smith Towers. I've finally finished the roof sarking on the east side, up to the apex. This meant, of course, that I could move straight on to the box profile sheeting. 

However, here's a problem.... I have the knowledge, but there's a skills gap betwixt  knowing about it, and doing it. A significant amount of 'Serious looking at' took place. I must have spent a couple of days on top of a ladder, just gauging the work and looking at any possible pitfalls. After a while, and much measuring & notes, off we go!  In fact, it was somewhat easier than my tiny mind would let on.  Starting with the first sheet, and getting it 'square on' was the first hurdle. But once there, it was fairly straightforward. To that end, I managed to get 5 of the 7 sheets required on Monday, leaving a rather relaxed Tuesday to finish it up. The apex & bargeboards will be done as a final job when the whole roof is complete. As I was finishing for the day, it started to rain. It's somewhat gratifying  to stand under your own roof, and watch the rain running off. 

An easier day in prospect for Wednesday. I still have to locate & purchase some 8" gravel boards, and to order some cladding for the rear of the shed. The building is hidden from view at the rear, so I'll purchase some industrial-strength box profile sheet to clad out the bits which are normally, if ever, on public view. 

Some more rubbish photos, which is a fairly boring view of a shed roof. However, the prospect of a Chinese lantern landing on Smith Towers is greatly reduced. 

Cheers,

Ian.

IMAG1437_BURST002_COVER[1].jpg

• Like 7

Doing the roof is when you really appreciate the value of getting everything prior to that square and level.  Do you think you might get a commission from next door to "improve" their tarpaulin roofed hutch?

Alan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

My  'over back' neighbour has just taken down his life-expired swimming pool. This leaves the life-expired hut as well. He engages me in various aspects of the work, so I wouldn't be surprised if he builds something similar.  I still have a way to go however.  My next door neighbour (Which is the white building) is a very good professional builder, so I have to keep my standards up!

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Excellent stuff Ian, keep up the good work, you should be weatherproof before the weather changes at this rate.  Think where you were with this this time last year!

I can't remember what I was doing last week, never mind last year!  Weatherproof? Yes. We're on a converging set of lines, where the weather turns down, and the autumn will kick in. I'll just keep it going, as & when. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As predicted, a more relaxed day today, helped along by the inclement weather. The shortfall of 8" gravel boards has been addressed, enough to finish off the sark. Tomorrow is a little trip to Hereford, where I managed to find some double glazed units at an 'highly advantageous' price. 

I'm not entirely happy with the back of the shed. It looks ok-ish, but.... I mentioned that I'm a bit worried about security issues, especially that the shed rear wall is completely hidden, unless you go around there and inspect it. To that end, I'll dig down the ground by about 300mm (12" in old money) to allow the cladding to overlap by about 6". Any discrepancy in level at this point is taken up by using 10mm (3/8") chippings, to finish it off there. 

Of course. Now I'm typing this, the blessed sun has come out... BAH!

Cheers,

Ian.

IMAG1438[1].jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Buhar said:

Doing the roof is when you really appreciate the value of getting everything prior to that square and level.  Do you think you might get a commission from next door to "improve" their tarpaulin roofed hutch?

Alan

That 'hutch' is his house!:mocking_mini:

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm not entirely happy with the back of the shed. It looks ok-ish, but.... I mentioned that I'm a bit worried about security issues, especially that the shed rear wall is completely hidden, unless you go around there and inspect it.

Cover the frames in chicken wire before boarding over, so that any scrote going thru' the boards has to then go thru' the chicken wire to get in.

Then connect the chicken wire to 3-phase.  Any bodies can go in the basement.  Job done.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cover the frames in chicken wire before boarding over, so that any scrote going thru' the boards has to then go thru' the chicken wire to get in.

That's a good idea, I think.  Someone suggested it on another thread after a nasty break-in to a shed (was that Jenny Kirk's?).  I think wiring it to the mains may be a step too far, you could get interference with the point motors ;) 

Alan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The back wall will most probably have industrial-grade box profile as the back wall. Then, the battening. After that, it's the insulation, inner wall, and then the plasterboard inner. There will be some 'hidden surprises, but I'm not going to tell... Someone who wants my DJM 14xx is welcome to it.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The back wall will most probably have industrial-grade box profile as the back wall. Then, the battening. After that, it's the insulation, inner wall, and then the plasterboard inner. There will be some 'hidden surprises, but I'm not going to tell... Someone who wants my DJM 14xx is welcome to it.....

Hidden carpet gripper buried in the walls could be fun.  Cheap and easy too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I've got that on the top of my fence......:rolleyes:

It's a nice idea, but I'd guess it'll delaminate over time. Add to that, the squirrels use our back fence as a green highway.  I suppose I'll stick with the Claymore mines, slightly altered. 

"face front away from the layout......"

Had a nice drive out this morning to Rotherwas (Hereford) and collected some unused double glazing panels. Being 350mm  on the one edge means I can get in some windows in between the uprights, which are 40mm on centres.  A bit early yet, but my old Mentor would say:- You can put them in stock".

Have a great day, folks. 

Ian.

• Like 2