Marklin in the UK

Haggerleases

Hello all. 

I'm considering building a model railway, and I'd like to make a nice little z gauge layout.

Do Marklin still have a dealer in the UK, or is second hand the way forward?

I'm planning a long desired trip to the black forest and then Berlin when this virus stuff is over so maybe stock up when I'm over there?

Many thanks. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You will certainly pick up Marklin Z gauge stuff cheaper in Germany (and with a wider choice), but we will no longer be part of Europe next year, so who knows how much duty HMRC will extract from you on your way home. However, you might be able to claim back the 19% Mwst (german VAT) if you do the paperwork correctly.

17 hours ago, Haggerleases said:

Hello all. 

I'm considering building a model railway, and I'd like to make a nice little z gauge layout.

Do Marklin still have a dealer in the UK, or is second hand the way forward?

I'm planning a long desired trip to the black forest and then Berlin when this virus stuff is over so maybe stock up when I'm over there?

Many thanks. 

Mount Tabor models in Derbyshire is "probably the best" as the Carling advert used to say!

http://www.mount-tabor-models.co.uk/

Ian is still a Märklin dealer afaik.

• Agree 2

Gaugemaster is the UK importer and distributor of Marklin. As such, they have to retail at full price.

However, Ian at Mount Tabor, is a dealer supplied by Gaugemaster, and can set his retail price for his own profit but often less than RRP.

Ian is also a seasoned European traveller and is expert on German and Swiss railways.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/04/2020 at 10:11, Ian Morgan said:

You will certainly pick up Marklin Z gauge stuff cheaper in Germany (and with a wider choice), but we will no longer be part of Europe next year, so who knows how much duty HMRC will extract from you on your way home. However, you might be able to claim back the 19% Mwst (german VAT) if you do the paperwork correctly.

Model trains (commodity code 95 00 03 00) remain free of import duty after Jan 2021 https://www.gov.uk/check-tariffs-1-january-2021

They will still be subject to import VAT at the standard rate (20%) but as Ian says your purchase may be relieved of German VAT as an export.

Parcel carriers will probably add a handling charge for collecting import VAT.

Edited by doctor quinn

• 1 month later...

Most German retailers will deduct the 19% automatically and do all the customs paperwork.

Some like MSL will show you the net figure; others like Kramm will offer a display with the "export" price.

Now that you are out of the EU, it may be worth investigating.

With regards to the VAT/import duties, nothing will change until the new year but after that, it depends if we get a deal or not. One issue if we do end up paying import duties, is that Royal Mail charge a flat fee, think it’s currently £8 for collecting it

On 15/07/2020 at 07:38, Vinedusk said:

Most German retailers will deduct the 19% automatically and do all the customs paperwork.

Some like MSL will show you the net figure; others like Kramm will offer a display with the "export" price.

Now that you are out of the EU, it may be worth investigating.

The UK is still in the single market. VAT is stil levied at the point of origin.

Ahh, okay, thanks for the clarification Fred. Interesting to know if the online German dealers have reduced their prices. I ordered some stuff recently so will look what the invoice says. The reduced rate will have ended before any change in ordering from the UK happens anyway,

best wishes,

simon 

On 20/07/2020 at 21:55, SimonBoulton said:

That’s correct, nothing has currently changed and may not if we get a deal but a no deal exit will probably mean you’ll get the 19% deducted from the German price but then have to pay the 20% UK rate plus the £8 Royal Mail collection fee. 

£16 Parcels Force and £12 Fedex, though I'm not sure about DHL who a number of German retailers seem to use.  Fedex also seem to deliver the stuff then a coupole of days later an invoice for import charges plus their £12 appears separately in the post....

Les

This will also apply to those knitted cardigans Auntie Flo in Spain sends the kids for Christmas and birthdays- there will be some rumblings when those bills start to arrive...

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

This will also apply to those knitted cardigans Auntie Flo in Spain sends the kids for Christmas and birthdays- there will be some rumblings when those bills start to arrive...

Without getting too political.....it's what "they" voted for so not one shred of sympathy from me I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

A friend took his missus for a short break in the US, and she managed to leave a cardigan behind at a hotel. The hotel kindly packaged it up and posted it back to her. When they got home they had to pay £35 to collect it, not realising what it was, as they had to pay up first. Although it looked new, it cost less than £35, and unfortunately they did not keep the receipt when it was purchased.

Hi Ian

I can recommend Modellbahnshoo Lippe from whom I have bought a lot of N gauge sound locos. Excellent service and quick and cheap delivery. Once registered you automatically get a discount plus you build up bonuses. Discounts are applied to bargain items too. 

At present there are no issues re VAT. You pay the German VAT. After the end of 2020 I don’t know. Incidentally German VAT has bern reduced to 16% for the time being. 

Remember also that German prices are generally cheaper than UK prices. 

I can recommend Osborn’s in the UK too. They’ve long been Z scale dealers including Micro Trains American outline. 

For real inspiration check out YouTube. There is a z gauge model of the bridge at Bullay on the Moselle which I saw at Dortmund last year. Simply superb.

• 4 weeks later...