DC layout wiring help!

Emmo

When I built this layout as an end to end, I got invaluable help on this forum on how to wire it up, where the rail breaks should be etc. It all worked rather well, and now we are in indefinite lockdown I thought what better way to spend it and proceeded to extend the layout into a tail chaser.

I can run trains round now, as well as the long passing loop that runs past the turntable, but I am getting shorts when trying to get into sidings such as the one leading to the TT (bear in mind this was a dead end originally and caused no short getting into it), the siding spur bottom right leading east, and the four dead ends top left - the three roads with power feeds 1, 2 & 3 are fine, as is the dead end with power feed 4 and the one directly below it.

Please bear in mind the turntable has not yet been installed or wired, the road leading to it for all intents and purposes is presently a dead end. The existing layout is shown above the red line and the extension below it.

Something is wrong, but I know there are some knowledgable people on this forum who will know at an instant what the problem is and all help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance of the solution!

Martin

Layout.jpg

I note that you haven't shown any insulated joins in your extension section.   If this is correct, then your sections 5 and 8 are now connected as though they are one section, which is probably the cause of your problems.

Power to points should normally be fed from the toe end (the end with the switch blades).  I'd therefore split both of your loops to separate sections 5 and 8 and thereby ensure that all points are fed from the toe end.

Try this   3 pairs of insulated fish plates  and 1 new feed.

Layout looks a bit unbalanced now. Maybe consider a redesign in Medium/ Long term?  I can't upload pics for some reason but basically a Feed along the bottom,  (left side)  left of the siding and pairs of insulated fish plates , both rails  anywhere along the passing loop  left of the turntable point and a pair of insulated fishpates  on the continuous run just beyond the point, somewhere near the red line.

Edited by DavidCBroad

Well, many thanks indeed guys for solving a problem so quickly on something that was baffling me, not being a wiring expert. There is actually a baseboard join on the passing loop near the TT, where I have placed connectors (this section is removable so I can get into the room). So, what I have done to try things out is to pull out the baseboard connectors and placed a piece of paper between the tracks and voila! Everything works as it should. I said it would be a simple solution to ones who know about these things (not me alas).

As I have gone through all the trouble to introduce connectors at the baseboard join, and there is a tendency for the rails to touch anyway at this point, I have decided just to place rail breaks further along.

Many thanks indeed once again, much obliged.

Martin

5 hours ago, Emmo said:

Well, many thanks indeed guys for solving a problem so quickly on something that was baffling me, not being a wiring expert

As I have gone through all the trouble to introduce connectors at the baseboard join, and there is a tendency for the rails to touch anyway at this point, I have decided just to place rail breaks further along.

Lacking confidence is wiring is nothing to be nervous about.

I have found that many who don't like electrics too much rely on using the minimum number of connectors they can get away with, relying on track to carry power wherever possible. Unfortunately this makes things complicated, not easier.

Dead sections occur where the track is not conducting, so these sections are wired back to the supply, then when the original connection decides to work again, a short occurs & it can be a real beast to find.

It is much easier to break things up into small sections which are isolated from each other.

Down at the club, I am not the quickest at getting layouts running...but they stay running & don't develop "a weird fault which I guess is typical of a model railway".

As for board joins, I was taught many years ago to not use them as an insulating gap. Several years later, a friend took a 2-board layout to a show & the thing wouldn't work...because the rails were touching at the board join. Fortunately there was time before the show opened to find the fault & pack the board join a little higher in order to separate the offending rails.

• Like 1

My rules are simple 

wire droppers to every distinct section of track , however small , never rely on rail  Joiners to carry current 

don’t relay on rails conducting or not conducting anything over a base board joint , always use a wired connector for this purpose 

the resulting reliability justifies all that wiring 

• Agree 1