Like everyone else, filling time during this unpleasant period, I had a check of what 009 rolling stock I possess & did I need another Really Useful Box (RUB) layout ?  Of course I did!  So here we go with Kidmore Gravel, although on completion it'll probably be christened something else.  Essentially a small gravel or ballast yard is off-stage at the layout rear.  Loco & load will enter & shunt load at the tipper drop into a waiting lorry / van before reversing out to be refilled.  A small loco shed, from a Wills corrugated chapel (needed to raise by 4mm to accommodate loco height) will service the spare loco with oil from a small storage tank.  Perhaps I'll also add a coal pile.

The image shows the built SMS baseboard, don't have a spare RUB box yet, with track in position & a selection of buildings primed for painting .... not in their likely finished positions.  Straight forward electrical feeds, just two, with non motorised electrofrog points.  The latter a safer bet with four wheel locos (Kato 103 / 109 chassis).

IMG_1891.JPG

Edited by noctilux2
Tidying up !
  • Like 14

Discharge site from rail to road fashioned from parts from a Wills occupational bridge kit.  The rear wall being one of the kit sides.  All that needs to be achieved now is to blend in the immediate area.

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

• Like 7

Your Kidmore layouts have provided me with much enjoyment and inspiration over the years. I know the latest one will do the same. Thanks for providing such a welcome distraction in these difficult times.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, spamcanfan said:

Your Kidmore layouts have provided me with much enjoyment and inspiration over the years. I know the latest one will do the same. Thanks for providing such a welcome distraction in these difficult times.

Thank you for your kind comments.  I think I’ve done about thirty layouts now, probably about two thirds of these have been sold off once I’m tired of them .... or they’ve reached the end of their exhibition life.  I seem to be standardising now though on Scale Model Scenery baseboards that fit into wrapping paper boxes.  This gives a layout size of just 28 x 8” which truly fits into the “Micro” category.  Two of these in OO gauge actually fit together, see “Kidmore Boxed”.

More images of course on progression, oddly seem to have a lot of spare time at present !

• Like 2

Well that's the mucky bit done & just have to wait for it to dry out now.  Bit worried re the absorbency of the foamboard as I don't remember ever having used it as a top layer to a baseboard before; at present, it does however seem to be coping with the ballast / PVA / water / fairy liquid mix !

IMG_1898.JPG

• Like 6

Now the ballast has dried out, & am pleased to say no problem with foamboard absorbency, have started on the groundwork.  The polystyrene along the back wall will not need shaping or covering in plaster bandage.  It will be hidden by a fence & in its non coated state it will be easier to plant foliage although it will get a coat of brown earth paint. The banks at the front right have been coated in plaster & these two will be painted prior to receiving ground cover.  Note the view block on the RHS hiding access to the quarry; drawn in red on image above.

IMG_1900.JPG

• Like 5

With time on my hands, virtually all the ground work now given a coat of "earth" acrylic paint.  Once this is done I can press on with a variety of ground cover. This procedure may be deferred however to allow preparation of foliage behind the proposed rear corrugated fence which should form a double depth backdrop. I have tried this on larger micro layouts but never one as shallow as this, eight inches.  See how it goes ....

IMG_1902.JPG

• Like 5

Now that the earth paint has fully dried out, I've been able to progress the waste ground that lies behind the corrugated fence.  The foliage is a mixture of all sorts found in the scenic bits box;  the trees have had their trunks shortened given the limited headroom once the wrapping paper box is closed.  The fence itself is actually metal.  Its been given a coat of £ Shop primer & then shaded down with powders made from pastel paint blocks. 

Next stage will be to cover the remaining groundwork (see brown areas above) with suitable grasses & bushes.  Will definitely be adding some of my favourite gorse bushes.

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now completed the corrugated fence & the wasteland between it & the layout backboard.  The converted, & raised, Wills chapel is now in place and groundwork to that end of the layout is underway,  Next steps will be to finish the scenic work throughout & add the necessary odds and sods from the junk box, and, once lockdown is over .... acquire a wrapping paper box to store it in !

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Having survived The Bug, I've actually now been able to plant my favourite "gorse" bushes.  Now they are in place, I can crack on & complete this build.  Once done, I'll post images of the finished layout.

IMG_1905.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...