"Ironstone" - East Midlands rural quarry railway

In the first shot.
I assume the face-shovel is electric, there is a big cable lying on the floor.
It's chassis appears to be similar or that of a Ruston steam shovel.
Did it start as a steam shovel and then was converted to electric, or was it delivered already electric?

On 05/04/2020 at 14:46, Sandhole said:

In the first shot.
I assume the face-shovel is electric, there is a big cable lying on the floor.
It's chassis appears to be similar or that of a Ruston steam shovel.
Did it start as a steam shovel and then was converted to electric, or was it delivered already electric?

Hi Sandhole, 

Yes - electric as were most of excavators of this size, certainly by this period. There are drawings available in the Lincoln's excavators series of books by Peter Robinson. The chassis will have been new-build, the 110RB being a newer model of the already proven 100RB. The example at Corby pictured above has a raised cab which was an optional extra from Ruston Bucyrus. 

On 05/04/2020 at 14:46, clarkea1 said:

Looks great so far - looking forwards to more of it!

May I ask how you're doing point operation?

Thanks

Alastair

Hi Alastair,

Point operation is via Tortoise motors via DPDT switches, already sorted. 

On 05/04/2020 at 16:43, Regularity said:

They look quite alive to me...

Yes, quite! Not picked up by spellcheck or obvious reasons. Duly amended.

Wagon inspection platform

One feature which every system appeared to have was a raised platform for inspecting wagon contents. 

2061845256_Wagonplatformcopyright.jpg.3374cca3da4fdb57d33a6f5004d0ff11.jpg

Wooden inspection platform at Priors Hall, Corby. Late 70's

These varied in height and construction method but were typified by a raised platform above the height of wagons in order for staff to check their contents prior to loading. The aim of this being to remove any foreign objects from empty wagons that may damage the crusher or cause untoward effects in the manufacturing process. More often that not these were located between the weighbridge and the exchange sidings, the above image being an exception to that... 

The Oxfordshire Ironstone Company at Wroxton had a covered version providing some protection from the weather. This was a necessity owing to their high output, the line to the exchange sidings being double tracked accordingly. 

The quarries operated by the Stanton Iron Company North of the river Welland had understandably more basic facilities. As my layout depicts a smaller system, it is from one of these which I take my prototype for modelling: 

gantry.jpg.a6da4996f2bc44272c58387835ef7a88.jpg

Ex-Woolsthorpe quarries inspection platform preserved at Cottesmore. A near-identical one was at nearby Harlaxton Quarries in South Lincs. 

The model is constructed from brass strip using measurements from the preserved example, however differs in that the angle strip is inside the frame, as per the scrapped example at Harlaxton. The deck is made from etched diamond checker plate from Scale Link with a brass signal ladder to complete. The figure is from the Dart Castings range. 

_20200405_170056.JPG.02b6d1f83002a859405955a282ed03c2.JPG

The base will be weathered to match the surrounding ground clutter when appropriate. 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Yes, quite! Not picked up by spellcheck for obvious reasons. Duly amended.

You should worry. I sent a text to my boss on Friday, and for no obvious reason it added an e to my forename.

I told him not to worry: I am only Simone at weekends.

Love the space you are allowing yourself with this.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Regularity said:

You should worry. I sent a text to my boss on Friday, and for no obvious reason it added an e to my forename.

I told him not to worry: I am only Simone at weekends.

Love the space you are allowing yourself with this.

You should not rely on spell check when the phrase "shift work" does not have the "f" in it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Paul

I'm really impressed with what you are doing here. It's great to see another ironstone layout and puts my decidedly sluggish efforts in 7mm to shame. You’re absolutely right to keep track to the minimum. I have tried to do the same with my developing layout but you have the advantage of a higher track to space ratio. I like the idea of the gauntlet track and its looking great. I was intending to include one with my weighbridge but I'm not sure I've got the space and certainly not the skills to make a working one. However, I do like the inspection platform. I'm sure you've seen it but Eric Tonks has a photo of the one at Buckminster which (helpfully for us) is right next to the weighbridge. Yours looks spot on to the Harlaxton one. Nice work!

Really looking forward to following your layout build.

Stephen

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul

Wow, you are good, some really excellent research material there.

In 7mm, I have a number of the Peco 27T tippler kits and the ABS 26T tippler kits. The Peco kit looks pretty close to either diagram 1/180 or 1/181 with correct heavy duty 4 shoe brake gear and RCH buffers. It has the 9’ wheelbase and the higher 8’ 9” body side. I need to finish the lettering and wagon number and add some more variety to the weathering.

700814098_Peco27Ttippler.jpg.693f51466fde4c71065a04eab0831311.jpg

The ABS kit represents the later diagram 1/184 26T tippler with 10’ wheelbase and the lower 8’ 5” body side with roller bearings and heavy duty buffers. I have added tie bars to the one ABS kit I have built although I know many of the unfitted ones didn’t have them so I may remove them. I need to take a photo of the finished model.

Both kits represent unfitted tipplers. I have enough kits to make up 2 rakes of 5 tipplers each with the 27T tipplers predominating as per the prototype in the early 1960s.

As you have said, the tipplers are a fascinating subject in themselves and the weathering possibilities are endless!

Stephen

P.S. Sorry, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with 7mm tipplers!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Great to read about the process and I agree with the sparseness of track on the layout, reflects what I've seen in footage of the real thing.

With the tipplers, was it similar to collieries in the use of knackered internal user stock from the cutting face to the 'works', and then loaded into BR stock for onward travel, or was it taken straight through?

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 10:33, Corbs said:

With the tipplers, was it similar to collieries in the use of knackered internal user stock from the cutting face to the 'works', and then loaded into BR stock for onward travel, or was it taken straight through?

Hi Corbs, 

Not in the same sense, no. Many systems employed "direct loading" whereby the BR wagons were run up to the quarry face and these same wagons would be worked across the network to the steelworks. Internal user mineral wagons in the ironstone industry were typically purpose-built for the movement of the quarried material and not intended to run on BR metals in revenue-earning service.

Regarding internal user mineral wagons, in the early days wooden-frames side tipping wagons were the norm, often referred to as "ship canal wagons". This later progressed to steel-bodied dump car wagons and skip wagons. The purpose of these designs was to load the crusher (where applicable) or to transfer the ore to an intermediary location for calcining.

I'll cover on-site calcining and associated operations in a later post, but here's an example of an internal user mineral wagon alluded to above:

DSC02354.JPG.83c2043e6fee4c67d80a3ee7dbeb8ebd.JPG

A 3-skip internal user wagon built by G.R. Turner during WW2, preserved at Cottesmore. This example had a hard life being latterly used at Corby Steelworks for restoring landslips and moving bulk chemicals/materials around the plant. Examples of these were seen at several quarries in Northamptonshire including Cranford, Nassington and Pitsford . 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 05/04/2020 at 17:45, 1whitemoor said:

Hi Sandhole, 

Yes - electric as were most of excavators of this size, certainly by this period. There are drawings available in the Lincoln's excavators series of books by Peter Robinson. The chassis will have been new-build, the 110RB being a newer model of the already proven 100RB. The example at Corby pictured above has a raised cab which was an optional extra from Ruston Bucyrus. 

Hi Alastair,

Point operation is via Tortoise motors via DPDT switches, already sorted. 

Yes, quite! Not picked up by spellcheck or obvious reasons. Duly amended.

Wagon inspection platform

One feature which every system appeared to have was a raised platform for inspecting wagon contents. 

241934210_Wagonplatformcopyright.jpg.a3edafb6575c1a0b515ea5c3964f8143.jpg

Wooden inspection platform at Priors Hall, Corby. Late 70's

These varied in height and construction method but were typified by a raised platform above the height of wagons in order for staff to check their contents prior to loading. The aim of this being to remove any foreign objects from empty wagons that may damage the crusher or cause untoward effects in the manufacturing process. More often that not these were located between the weighbridge and the exchange sidings, the above image being an exception to that... 

The Oxfordshire Ironstone Company at Wroxton had a covered version providing some protection from the weather. This was a necessity owing to their high output, the line to the exchange sidings being double tracked accordingly. 

The quarries operated by the Stanton Iron Company North of the river Welland had understandably more basic facilities. As my layout depicts a smaller system, it is from one of these which I take my prototype for modelling: 

gantry.jpg.a33d4caab2dc6a134f62d87e8a3a62fe.jpg

Ex-Woolsthorpe quarries inspection platform preserved at Cottesmore. A near-identical one was at nearby Harlaxton Quarries in South Lincs. 

The model is constructed from brass strip using measurements from the preserved example, however differs in that the angle strip is inside the frame, as per the scrapped example at Harlaxton. The deck is made from etched diamond checker plate from Scale Link with a brass signal ladder to complete. The figure is from the Dart Castings range. 

_20200405_170203.JPG.7f0bddea1594e6d26ad2b7502927f95b.JPG

The base will be weathered to match the surrounding ground clutter when appropriate. 

Paul A. 

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
The layout is looking quite superb.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Paul. 

Lovely to see another East Midlands ironstone layout being accurately portrayed. 

The information on modelling the iron ore tippers is very useful and  I'll be using some of your tips when modelling a selection of tippers for my new layout. 

Look forwards to further progress. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Andrew Barclay 2139 of 1942 "Salmon"

SALMON_in_headshunt_1.jpg.dfcc1549a27dc6c6cf34769e81a482a6.jpg

To keep the thread variety up I will give now give an overview of one of the more interesting prototypical locos I have been working on. 

History and Background

By the first half of the twentieth century, Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. had a reputation for building cheap and robust industrial steam locomotives at their Kilmarnock works during the first half of the twentieth century. Indeed, the company had started producing steam locomotives in a meaningful way in the last quarter of the previous century, though the locomotives did not have the same rigorous design standardization that was prevalent in their later products.

Andrew Barclay “Salmon” (wks no. 2139, built in 1942) was one of a pair sourced for the East Midlands ironstone industry, obtained through the Ministry of Supply. "Salmon" along with sister loco "Swordfish" (wks no. 2138 of the same year) were named after Royal Naval submarines lost at sea in 1940. 

"Salmon" was delivered new to Woolsthorpe Quarries in Leicestershire, where the line had recently been upgraded from a 3ft narrow gauge system to a standard gauge setup. The quarry was operated by the Stanton Ironworks Company at this time, and later Stewarts and Lloyds. At Woolsthorpe, several of the locomotives wore the heavy-duty fabricated buffers typical of Stanton locomotives. Additionally, water treatment was required for the locos due to the high mineral content of the local water, the chemicals required to soften this being loaded into tubes which fed into the front of the saddle tank.

After several years of work "Salmon" was rebuilt at Holwell works over a two year period, during which time she received a new chimney, ross pop safety valves and replacement footsteps. She was sold out of industry and moved to various preservation sites including NYMR, Rutland Railway Museum, Swindon and Cricklade, Beamish Museum and now Royal Deeside. 

2111375016_SALMONondemoline.jpg.bb37001da36a4c969705242a89b4727e.jpg

"Salmon" at the head of a demonstration hopper rake at Cottesmore in the 1990's. Note the water softener tube

Of additional interest, sister loco “Swordfish”  which worked at Glendon Quarries is also preserved, having survived into the 1980’s in a scrapyard before being rescued. She is currently operational on the Swindon and Cricklade, though not in original configuration. 

The Model

The base for the model is the now discontinued DJH “starter” for the 0-4-0 kit, with additional etches from my own artwork. Owing to the aforementioned standardization adopted by Barclays the saddle tank, boiler and cylinders/motion/fittings are common between the 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 14’’ types (though not the larger 15'' design). It is for this reason that the 0-6-0 has an unequal wheelbase, and the rear driving wheel are positioned directly under the cab with a requirement for a split ash pan. The boiler does sit higher in the six coupled version as a result and accordingly the cab windows are angular as opposed to the more typical porthole used by Barclays at this time.

salmon_parts.jpg.b675aa7a384475a60ea514bcc7b8c60b.jpg

The model in its various sub-assemblies and lacking cab details for now

The DJH kit employs a motor mounted vertically in the cab, a compromise I am happy with but in the case of this build the rear axle does not allow reuse of the original gearbox (which is integral with the original frames). The axle position also means that there is not room for my usual choice of rear-axle mounted High Level gearbox. As the centre axle is set so far back, owing to the unequal wheelbase, I have managed to drive this  with a High Level RR compact+ with motor located upright in the cab where the backhead should be. It will be further obscured with crew, reversing lever etc. 

1583976033_Salmon3.jpg.bf50bbff78f5f403004e70608285fc57.jpg

Drive from the centre axle using a flipped over High Level gearbox. Motor is a Mashima 1020 owing to the cab height

The distinctive buffers are from RT models, coupling hooks from Brassmasters and driving wheels/whistle from Markits. Handrail knobs of the original kit have been replaced with the finer Alan Gibson equivalent. The water treatment tube was constructed from brass tube, measurements being taken from another former Woolsthorpe Quarries loco Andrew Barclay wks no. 2350 “Belvoir” of 1954, the only loco which has retained this Stanton-pattern fitting in preservation.

97517472_Salmon2.jpg.ea4776d834db087fff58d12c25d87905.jpg

Front view of the model. The mechanical lubricator wheel will be fitted after painting and the front grab handles are "long" hand rail knobs with holes filled. The model is based on "Salmon" post-rebuild with ross pop safety valves

1934147027_salmon1.jpg.a807af24bd877b52011bc0fb3f76b4fb.jpg

Rear view of the model. The rear cab window protective mesh will be added after painting. The lamp irons are the typical Andrew Barclay double sided type

The model will be painted once I can find a good match for the shade green. Transfers will be required for the name, as these were painted on. I'll post another pic once complete, hopefully later in the summer. 

Paul A. 

Looking good!

I’m always up for a good industrial engine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

A bit of signage for the layout now. 

Stanton Ironworks-type exchange sidings sign

326131884_exchangesidingssigncopyright.jpg.6fb77ccb1d94b8ff816bc5645c1f70ae.jpg

Stanton Ironworks-issued exchange sidings sign at Harston, 1970's

Demarcation between the privately owned lines and the national network was usually marked by a cast iron simple “LNER/BR maintenance ends here” sign on the appropriate sleeper. Despite this, it was occasionally necessary for the BR locomotive to pull forward onto private metals to shunt wagons, effectively using the privately owned running line as a headshunt for the loops of the exchange area. 

An interesting sign which appears to have been a standard fitting on exchange sidings for systems operated by the Stanton Iron Company was this large board and warning lamp  limiting the movements of BR locos to a particular section, and no further.

132814990_signladdercopyright.jpg.f7668f991b4670992f7978dd6e749819.jpg
The post was fitted with a lamp to warn loco crew in dreary conditions. 

The model

645556756_Ironstonerailwaysignstanton.jpg.f752723d3ff923f1cf840a769c93ad52.jpg

The post is a cut-down white metal casting from MSE, as is the lamp. I wanted a fabricated thin ladder and in my search came across this offering from Stenson models with etched sides. This built up very nicely and can be supplied with a simple jig which makes makes things 10x easier on the eyes and finger tips… For rigidity the bottom rung is soldered to a length of wire from the signal post, this will be buried with scatter material/filler.

The typeface itself is an approximation of the original, which I did as an etch filler on another project in nickel silver. 

DSC_0703.JPG.b883fb23e1bed98f92a6d5cb7f448573.JPG

The sign will be located facing the off-scene exchange sidings on the layout which means that it will be almost unreadable by the viewer, never mind! 

Thanks 
Paul A. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2020 at 16:53, 1whitemoor said:

Hi All, 

One company facing this problem post-war was the Lancashire Steel Corporation at Irlam who required large volumes of iron ore to bolster their manufacturing in the mid twentieth century. Their needs were such that even ore quarried over a hundred miles away in the East Midlands was to be bought in to supplement their own ore streams. This ore would then be brought through in block rakes from the Midland mainline due West, sometimes via the Woodhead route (or so it is documented and photographed). 

A small variety of steel bodied tipplers were offered from private wagon manufacturers. One such design offered by several builders was a 20 ton capacity unfitted tippler which featured outside I-beam bracing and angled floor sides for the handling of wet aggregate. A brief discussion of this design and thoughts on replicating these in model form is offered here. Lancashire steel had a small fleet of these wagons which were still in operation during the late 1960's. 

With the move towards vacuum fitted stock during the early/mid 1960's further wagons were built for the Lancashire Steel Corporation to the same design as the 26 ton BR diagram 1/185 10ft wheelbase tippler wagons by the Central Wagon Co. It is believed that these were ordered in greater numbers than the 20 ton design although livery details were unchanged. Bachmann do offer a tippler RTR in this livery, but it ought really be the correct 26 ton lower-bodied design with 10ft wheelbase. 

I've chosen to model a short rake of both the earlier 20 ton and later 26 ton designs. While these wagons appear to have often run in block trains of the same type wagon (20 or 26 ton respectively) it was common to see short rakes of assorted types (tipplers and hoppers) moving in trip workings to the quarry for loading. These would then be reformed into rakes of their respective types in the exchange sidings prior to the arrival of the BR loco. 

DSC_0688.JPG.2ad4cc107f9afa96d2de75cf785d70b7.JPG

Lancashire Steel Corporation private owner tipplers. 26 ton design closest to the camera is a Parkside kit with Oleo buffers and vac hoses from Lanarkshire Model Supplies. The 20 ton design is scratch built from plasticard and evergreen strip on a cut and shut Parkside 21 ton hopper chassis, giving the correct solebar depth. Lettering was custom printed for these wagons based on photographs. 

Happy Easter All. 

Paul A. 

Very nice indeed, but are you sure any of these unfitted tipplers had vac’ through pipes? I have seen no evidence that any BR unfitted tipplers ever did (and BR would have painted them bauxite/freight stock red accordingly), but don’t know about the Lancs Steel vehicles.

Adam

Edited by Adam

This is a great thread. In my early years my parents' back garden overlooked the railway from Sleaford to Boston and the High Dyke - Frodingham ore trains (with a few from Colwick and Belvoir Junction) were routed that way during my time. 

Watching the trains pass on a daily basis, it was fascinating to note that almost no two adjacent iron ore tippler wagons looked the same. Some were slightly higher or lower sided by a few inches and nearly all seemed to have variations in the positioning of the "iron ore tippler" branding. 

An occasional Sunday outing was to see the 'biggest dragline excavator in Europe' in deepest Leicestershire or Northants, although I remember very little about the actual machine except it was huge. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Very nice indeed, but are you sure any of these unfitted tipplers had vac’ through pipes? I have seen no evidence that any BR unfitted tipplers ever did (and BR would have painted them bauxite/freight stock red accordingly), but don’t know about the Lancs Steel vehicles.

Regarding the Lancs steels wagons here is a photograph of them at a later time, hoses removed but vac cylinder still evident:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lancswagon/h27b559b4#h536a5440

I'll try to dig out the reference photographs I used for the BR tipplers, these being taken at Skillington Road sidings just before closure in the early 1970's. I'll have to post these via PM as I don't have copyright. 

There's a few freight stock grey wagons in this fitted rake here, one being an early high-bodied example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5576501643

Another freight stock grey in this rake here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5537356587/in/album-72157626169910951/

Some of those which were later upgraded with roller bearings etc do not appear to have received a repaint. 

Paul A.

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 2

I'm unconvinced - the grey tippler in the rake here, seems also to be grey around the underframe which suggests weathering to me, perhaps from being used for another traffic. It's likely that despite that the whole rake was fitted (the consistency of height is a clue to that).

p Stainby sidings wagons in United Steel sidings , view north June 73 J3223

I can't see any evidence of through pipes in Paul Bartlett's images (or much paint) and hadn't heard of a through-pipe fitting programme though this doesn't mean one didn't occur. If you've evidence, of aany four shoe brake-fitted wagon clearly showing the pipes, I'd be happy to have proof!

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brironoretipplerunfit

All best,

Adam

• Like 2

Hi All,

Onto the primary building for the layout now which will be covered over a series of posts:

Running shed

Most quarry railways had locomotive accommodation which primarily served as somewhere safe to store the locomotives at night (many were not kept in steam for days on end as per mainline practice) and at weekends. There were more extensive facilities on larger systems as would be expected, notably at Gretton Brook where there was a much-photographed eight road shed which lasted into the 1980s. 

1152023199_BSC14.jpg.b9902b5f1ac4617f0d0a760bfc89d6eb.jpg

Gretton Brook shed with BSC "55" at Corby. The relative modern permanency of this shed is self evident. Not shown is a further 4 roads to the Right hand side...

Gretton Brook was far from the norm however, and what appeared outwardly to be a "shed in a field" often clad in wriggly tin was much more typical. 

The work undertaken in an industrial loco running shed was often only routine or minor work although “jacking up” on sleepers for attention to springs or axle boxes was not uncommon. Locomotives were often sent away for serious overhauls/rebuilds via the mainline with their connecting rods removed to lessen wear. Even so, such overhauls were still conducted “in house” at places such as Holwell Ironworks, Corby Steelworks workshops and the Central Engineering Workshops (CEW) at Colsterworth.

1288242765_copyrightshed.jpg.6ba0ab875422f1a09033320d095af682.jpg

A medium/small size running shed more typical of most quarries, this example seen at Woolsthorpe. The shed was dismantled and erected at Cottesmore where it still preserved today. Note the later extension to the front section to house an additional locomotive. 

The model

The model depicts a typical wriggly-tin clad shed constructed around the 1930's-1940's. The example I am taking inspiration from had a wooden frame which hung on metal supports which were secured into the ground with concrete. 

1819496714_shedstructure.jpg.4532d1dc27b535b3ad4f0657d1f41293.jpg

A closer shot of the Woolsthorpe shed. Wooden frame hung onto steel supports. Inspection pit also evident, a key requirement for oiling up and other routine inspections/duties. 

The model features a laser cut modular frame sandwiched between two brass U sections for strength. These are secured by the mounting frames on I beam which will locate into holes on the layout. Windows are from Mainly Trains etches and are of their large industrial type.

DSC_0719.JPG.eee7029a78003cbcb0e0563b769a6abe.JPG

DSC_0718.JPG.a54e49f27e5d1174cbedd5fe4ddfefd8.JPG

I have been experimenting on how to effectively clad this shed. I have some Eastwell corrugated material for the roof but the sides will have to be in plastic. 

More details to follow soon

Paul A.

Edited by rope runner
Photo links
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Would this image help if you’re still working on the tipplers?, found it in a book of mine “Past and Present - Leicestershire”. The Picture is taken at Syston North Junction in 1960.

985F1BE6-B69F-44F1-B6A3-11A5B88D71CE.jpeg

Edited by Quarry-Steam65
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hi All, 

Much progress through the coronavirus "lockdown"

1752793950_SalmonBarclay.jpg.cbaf79846aff0fa9d882a3570253a9c0.jpg

AB2139/42 is now finished, pending weathering at a much later date. 

The shed has also gained a roof, photos to follow in due course. 

Cheers

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added
  • Like 15