"Ironstone" - East Midlands rural quarry railway

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Here he/she/it is working for H Arnold somewhere in the Leeds area.  One of my 'Leeds Industrials' collection.

39a.H.Arnold.HE 287.1200dpi.A.jpg

I know Paul said folding up the roof wasn't for the faint hearted... 

• Funny 4

21 hours ago, 5050 said:

Here he/she/it is working for H Arnold somewhere in the Leeds area.  One of my 'Leeds Industrials' collection.

Thank you for sharing that with us Paul, a nice study of the loco

Industrial loco aficionados will note there are several interesting features on display, not least the non-standard Hunslet worksplate,  partial guard sheet over the leading driving wheel and the lack of conventional cylinder drain cocks.

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 19/05/2021 at 15:15, rope runner said:

Thank you for sharing that with us Paul, a nice study of the loco

Industrial loco aficionados will note there are several interesting features on display, not least the non-standard Hunslet worksplate,  partial guard sheet over the leading driving wheel and the lack of conventional cylinder drain cocks.

Paul A. 

I did send a copy of the photo to R by R to go with the restoration of the loco but not been there (yet!) to see her in the 'flesh'.

• Like 1

It really does look like a slightly ungainly 2' gauge quarry Hunslet! Your description of the backhead and firebox made me think immediately of the Ffestiniog Hunslets that I am very familiar with.

Beautiful model and well done!

Mol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

It really does look like a slightly ungainly 2' gauge quarry Hunslet! Your description of the backhead and firebox made me think immediately of the Ffestiniog Hunslets that I am very familiar with.

Thanks Mol and yes - a raised firebox as you say. I wouldn't like to say for certain but one can imagine that Hunslet locos of this size would have shared some components with the larger NG products from Jack Lane. 

Paul A. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, rope runner said:

Hi All, 

Another update in the loco department, a work in progress. 

Hawthorn Leslie HL2604 of 1905 "Jupiter"

415885010_JupiteratBurley.jpg.ce0f40e32454a0d1d1590e8ba09ec933.jpg

IMG_20210807_104637.jpg.83f42a3dbe77ddb6cad3d9d7458d953c.jpg

Built by Newcastle makers Hawthorn Leslie to their standard 14'' design, HL 2604 was delivered new to Dorman Long in 1905 and worked in their Cleveland Steelworks empire on Teesside. The loco was much rebuilt to negotiate the cramped environment of the steelworks and featured a cut down cab and associated fittings along with large dumb buffers. The HL type Injectors and rear wheel set were also replaced.  The name "Jupiter" came from a series of locos at Dorman long which were given names of planets. 

In 1940 "Jupiter" was transferred to Dorman Long's Ironstone quarry at Burley, Rutland. Here she joined a fleet of other DL loco outcasts of similar outline, though mostly Andrew Barclay products. The primary role of the loco was to propel MSC type tipping wagons to the calcine clamps from the quarry face. She appears to have been much-liked and despite being overhauled in early 1961 she was cut up on site in June 1962. 

The model uses the superb High level 14'' HL as a basis, with a cut down cab being scratch built and fittings modified to suit the locos rebuilt condition. The buffers are 3D printed centres with laminations of brass sheet. There's still a fair way to go with this one including mechanical lubricator, toolboxes and a few more things to add to the frames but it's looking reassuringly more purposeful with each hour spent. 

I would welcome any further information on other locomotives at Burley, particularly photographs, if any RMweb members can assist. 

Paul A. 

That's a lovely thing.
It's given me ideas for my, as yet, unbuilt RS&H loco.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ruston said:

That looks very good. What wheels have you used?

I've used some Romfords on this one, the newer type with the RP25 flanges.

The rear wheelset has had some sections filled in and smoothed flush in an attempt to replicate the unusual homebrewed one on the prototype. It was easier to do this than to use mismatched wheels with different centers as the crank throw is matched to the front set 100%.

Paul A. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

24 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Forgive me if you have already come across this in your research, but I found this photo:

3962190245_98338e5bbe_b.jpg

...and then started looking around and found these, which I think may be the same batch of wagons later in life:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lancswagon

I'm thinking of doing a 7mm scale model of one of these, possibly also one of the other shape.

Cheers,

Mol

They are the same wagons after going into other traffics for BSC. They are a rip off of the BR fitted  diagram 1/185 later MSV tipplers! One of these is at Shakerstone.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 08:47, Adam said:

are you sure any of these unfitted tipplers had vac’ through pipes?

It's taken me a while to get back to you Adam, so apologies for that, but you may find the following information of interest. 

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=10056

Preserved iron ore tippler B 383560 built 1954 at Shildon to Diag. 1/181, Lot No. 2601. Of particular note is that this vehicle was through-piped. It is the only preserved example of a through-piped 27 ton tippler and was out shopped in freight stock grey from new, as evidenced by old paint uncovered during conservation work. 

It is unclear in which year the piping was added though it is worth noting that it was not upgraded to roller bearings (which makes an  80's/90's rebuild unlikely). 

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Have just come across this topic, having just visited Rocks by Rail earlier this week and become totally fascinated.  I know very little about the ironstone extraction and the associated railway infrastructure, being a "southerner"!  Can you recommend any suitable reading, with plenty of pictures   Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.

• Like 2