"Ironstone" - East Midlands rural quarry railway

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, bodmin16 said:

Have just come across this topic, having just visited Rocks by Rail earlier this week and become totally fascinated.  I know very little about the ironstone extraction and the associated railway infrastructure, being a "southerner"!  Can you recommend any suitable reading, with plenty of pictures   Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.

Eric Tonks is the 'Go To' author on the Ironstone. 

They are certainly available 2nd hand. There is a series of about 9 covering all the main Midland Orefields

Regards

Ian

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, bodmin16 said:

Can you recommend any suitable reading,

Search for "The Ironstone Quarries Of The Midlands, by Eric Tonks". It's more or less all you'll ever need on the subject in nine volumes!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bodmin16 said:

Have just come across this topic, having just visited Rocks by Rail earlier this week and become totally fascinated.  I know very little about the ironstone extraction and the associated railway infrastructure, being a "southerner"!  Can you recommend any suitable reading, with plenty of pictures   Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.

There is an earlier combined volume of Eric Tonks work (revised) which is a little sparse on detail but has a fair overview of all the systems. However, a superb overview of the industry is offered in Pt.1 of the later individual series and for me this is the stand-out title from the 9 books. Worth seeing if you can pick up a hardback version S/H...

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rope runner said:

There is an earlier combined volume of Eric Tonks work (revised) which is a little sparse on detail but has a fair overview of all the systems. However, a superb overview of the industry is offered in Pt.1 of the later individual series and for me this is the stand-out title from the 9 books. Worth seeing if you can pick up a hardback version S/H...

Paul A. 

This one?

Screenshot_20210909-193838_eBay.jpg

Hi All, 

Another loco post now, albeit fairly pedestrian compared to the last couple. 

30 ton Sentinel S10201 "Betty"

749552393_SentinelBettyatHarlaxtoncopyright.jpg.0fa8302b707d2a90685b90c8c2ea01b0.jpg

"Betty" in use at Harlaxton in the early 70's. Note the plastic Heron sticking out of the radiator (yes, really...)

This loco was one of eight 30-ton examples built in 1964 for the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company, Wroxton and was fitted with buckeye couplers to work iron ore dumpcars. This design is lighter than the standard catalogue offering in order to put less strain on the basic and often poorly-ballasted quarry trackwork. The name was transferred from an earlier Hudswell Clarke locomotive, though the plates were originally sourced through the Hunslet Engine Company. OIC also had five 40-ton Sentinels, more on this in a later post.

Upon closure of the quarries at Wroxton Betty was transferred to Harlaxton Ironstone Quarry in September 1967 and given the Stewarts and Lloyds plant number 8411/03. The loco had the somewhat dubious honour of hauling the last ironstone train from Harlaxton Ironstone Quarry on St. Valentines Day 1974 (the date referred to locally at the time as Black Valentines). 

Following a rebuild at Andrew Barclays works in May 1974 the loco was sold to NCB South Durham Area in December 1976 and sent to Blackhall Colliery County Durham and then later on to NCB Coal Products Division, Derwenthaugh. In April 1986 she was happily preserved at Cottesmore and is restored and operational. 

IMG_20210909_181026.jpg.3f88a7250505e5c84274147fa837dd02.jpg

The model represents S10201 in early 1970's condition at Harlaxton and uses the Hornby model as a base with the valance join line filled and sanded flush. The sandbox spill plates are by RTmodels and the Sentinel motifs and Swords by Judith Edge. The coupling pockets (by this time the buckeyes themselves were removed, but the pockets remained) were scratch built from fret waste. The lifting eyes were also drilled out. 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added (again!)
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

For good measure here's a quick snap I took of the prototype earlier in the month. 

IMG_20210910_120353.jpg.e1961d256b2063ab29bcb9f672a1cc4b.jpg

The notice under the nameplate notes the historical importance of the locomotive with reference to the proceedings at Harlaxton on the 14th of Feb, 1974. 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just curious Paul why you used the spill plates but not the skirts themselves as the Hornby ones are wrong for this version as the ends should be asymmetrical and not mirrored which your photo of the real loco shows.

It's one of those things that didn't get picked up on by Hornby but they correctly widened the footplate.

Edited by RThompson

• 2 months later...
On 19/09/2021 at 21:01, RThompson said:

Just curious Paul why you used the spill plates but not the skirts themselves as the Hornby ones are wrong for this version as the ends should be asymmetrical and not mirrored which your photo of the real loco shows.

It's one of those things that didn't get picked up on by Hornby but they correctly widened the footplate.

Gold star Robert, nobody else has spotted that yet!

The simple answer is that I'd already completed the loco before your detailing kit was announced. I decided I could make use of the spill plates but the rest went in the bits box. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Since you asked nicely Corbs, here's one from t'other side. 

757324745_CorbyManningWardle1317rhiwnantironstone.jpg.04c50cade258b7a64e690459a1f5c2bd.jpg

And here's the next one in the queue, a B2 class Peckett. Open to guesses on the identity of this one from any industrial aficionados... it shouldn't be too hard given the general theme and trend...

515567232_HornbyPeckettironstone.jpg.28489288e56d0f43ce11497785cb364e.jpg

This model has had a moderately involved renovation to the front end to depict an earlier member of the class, more on this in 2022 after paining is completed. 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, rope runner said:

Open to guesses on the identity of this one from any industrial aficionados... it shouldn't be too hard given the general theme and trend

I don't know exactly but from the same place as the United Steel Co. Barclay that's at RbR, judging by the addition to the water tank. Something for water treatment?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rope runner said:

And here's the next one in the queue, a B2 class Peckett. Open to guesses on the identity of this one from any industrial aficionados... it shouldn't be too hard given the general theme and trend :)

My guess would be BUCCLEUCH (1232/1910) which went from Glendon East Quarries to Harlaxton Quarries in 1946 and to Nassington Quarries in 1962. It was scrapped there in 1969. Eric Tonks included a photo of it in the Corby Area book (page 299) of his Ironstone series. This photo shows the water softener on the front of the saddle tank which Tonks presumes was fitted at Harlaxton. 

Of course, I could be completely wrong...  

Edited by Warspite
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Warspite said:

My guess would be BUCCLEUCH (1232/1910) which went from Glendon East Quarries to Harlaxton Quarries in 1946 and to Nassington Quarries in 1962. It was scrapped there in 1969. Eric Tonks included a photo of it in the Corby Area book (page 299) of his Ironstone series. This photo shows the water softener on the front of the saddle tank which Tonks presumes was fitted at Harlaxton. 

Of course, I could be completely wrong...  

Correct - top marks. 

Yes the water softening tube would have been fitted at Harlaxton similar to their 15'' Barclay and HE50550 types. For a short time the loco also carried a white headcode disc above the tank which was an unusual feature for an industrial...I'm not sure if I will include that as it may look a bit too odd. Still, I'm hoping this Peckett will make a nice pair with one of the forthcoming Rapido Nassington Hunslet locos. 

Paul A. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Phew, I've just zipped through and added all the photographs back in after the RMweb crash... added a few more prototype shots to old posts too. 

Here's another prototype shot in lieu of any modelling to show off at the moment. 

290547942_Hudswellclarke607of1903PENGREENatCorby..jpg.64641a32abb9a57f8759ccfb88b15c36.jpg

This is "Pen Green", Hudswell Clarke 607 of 1903, ordered by the Lloyds Ironstone company for their new Pen Green Quarries at Corby. This loco has the historic note of being the first six-coupled standard gauge loco delivered new to the ironstone industry in Northamptonshire.

The loco was eventually absorbed into the steelworks fleet at Corby, being too small to be of practical use in the S&L minerals division in later years. The photograph shows her in the early 1960s, much modified from original form. 

More soon 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
Photos re-added (again!)
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Is this the same as ‘Penn Green’ that ran at the East Anglian Railway Museum in the 1990s? 

That loco looked similar but had a painted name with an extra N. 

Ah yes, that was one of the ex-Corby RSH locos which was spuriously named in preservation. The original loco was unnamed and is of note in having been built to what is essentially a Manning Wardle design. 

A bit more to the above, I've checked the notes accompanying the negative and it was taken on 2nd July 1960, the loco being scrapped in the same month four years later. 

Paul A. 

• 4 months later...

Hi All, 

It has been a while since I updated this thread. It's time to get back on track... 

The James Pain Ltd. Peckett loco BUCCLEUCH is now finished.

132594510_BuccleuchPeckettironstoneNassingtonGlendonMarketOverton.jpg.2d9593e750611a1608a75da09d61eb06.jpg

The front of the tank has been modified to represent an earlier member of the class by using an etched overlay from my own artwork and then filling and sanding the join. The cab rear was also modified as the loco had the spectacles removed and replaced with wooden stretchers to hold the glass - the glass being absent from all the photos I've found. Markits turned brass whistle added too, as the Hornby plastic one is flimsy and liable to get snagged. 

I also etched my own nameplates for the model as the plate style of the prototype was not available from the likes of Narrow Planet, Ambis etc. They've come out quite well - for me these small details are key to capturing the character of the original loco. Differences in Peckett plate styles are noted below: 

548533782_JOANnameplateoxfordshireironstoneAE.jpg.0ea7bad4e78a20e82386b45b0e979bb3.jpg

Example of a Peckett plate with serif lettering. Nameplate originally fitted new to 0-6-0 Peckett 1981/40 at the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company. Plate later transferred to 0-4-0 Avonside 1822/19 when it was decided that all six-coupled locos at Wroxton should carry boys names and four-coupled would be girls. Finally, this nameplate was moved to Sentinel 10165 when the system was dieselised - the loco later moving to Harlaxton Quarries in South Lincolnshire and removed when the quarry closed. Quite a history!

202032784_Lamportnameplate.JPG.f0f618fe9e364b27c1ed3268aead1a54.JPG

Example of Peckett plate with sans-serif lettering. Introduced from around 1906. This example is from a 3ft gauge loco at Scaldwell ironstone pits. Plate is brass...not that you would know it...

I have a few irons in the fire and other projects ticking along simultaneously. The next updates will include some internal user quarry wagons, gauntlet track weighbridge and a big 0-6-0ST RSH. 

Paul A. 

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...