Taddles Lane Mk II - A Self Isolation Project

Sharky

G'day all,

After years of many false starts with building a layout (having designed something like 20 possible first layouts), I've finally decided to do something about it.

A bit of history on the layout to start with...
About three years ago the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) held their yearly Convention my home state of Victoria.
I was asked if I could built something for the small exhibition that was being held on the Sunday of the Convention.

I agreed and spent a few months designing  a smallish layout to put in.

Originally I planned to make it a fictional Branchline Terminus set in the Midland Region (1930s).
I had built two boards for it and was in the process of building the 3rd of 4 when I realised I didn't have enough time to create what I planned.

So I left it there and quickly drew up a plan for an Inglenook-esk layout.
I laid all the track, wired it up and exhibited it, bare boards and all. Certainly wasn't going to win any awards but it filled a gap in the hall and I learnt wuite a bit out of building it.

After the expo I packed it up and sorted it as I hadn't anywhere to set it up permanently at home.

Fast forward to now,
With the outbreak of this world wide Pandemic, and the Model Rail club rooms shutting their doors till further notice, I had an itch to something about running trains at home.
So I go the old plans for Tadles Lane to see if I could modify it to add some extra operational interest.
I wanted to add a Runaround and some extra sidings to place wagons, as the original plan only had the 3 sidings up the top of the layout.
A few points were added and one moved, and hey presto a new layout, with the features I was after.

1134921640_TaddlesLane.jpg.6bf5d522bb8dea3b30c4f36b6ea05e63.jpg

The spare room in the house was recent cleaned out. So I measured up the potential available space and discovered I could setup the layout there once I move a few thing around. 2 hours later, Taddles Lane was set up.

Here it is in it's original form (excluding the right hand point near the camera)

1675856491_TLstart1.jpg.879d5ad5e853886c054aa2a0d4affcf8.jpg

Next step was to check the clearances for the loop.

Looks like I can only run a 2 coach pass or 7 wagon goods. Unless another loco happens to be in the yard to release an engine off a train that exceeds the loop.

These train lengths will suit me for now.

1784667899_TLstart2.jpg.2856a4b2da58e9df8c5f762b6047378e.jpg

I don't plan to run anything larger than a 4F so I used that to check my Head shunt space.

1289613933_TLstart3.jpg.06d942310cf46b6d73f4c328ff664bf2.jpg

I quite liked the setting of this shot, with the light glinting off the loco. (Will have to do something about the back round though, Pink isn't my colour...)

First task on hand is to rip up one of the old "running lines" and replace the left hand point with a right hand.

With a few choice words and determination the point was finally removed.

1650114797_TLpointreplacement1.jpg.80cd105680fcdd1e16ff1155a7536be3.jpg

Now I had to remove the Peco polarity switch from underneath.
My point control is a simple piano wire through the side of the baseboard run to the point and through a PL13 to change the polarity.

Nothing elaborate, but it seems to work well (mostly). 

1524549632_TLpointreplacement2.jpg.8cc8726a80d264b387c0faf4179762c2.jpg

The lone one of the left is the one to be removed.

I originally used contact adhesive to fit them to the underside of the board, this has made it a little tricky to remove.

I need to reused this one so I'd rather not break it. So I got out my chisel and attempted to break it away.

It came away after only 3 hits on the chisel.

2077522718_TLpointreplacement3.jpg.d44c04415ff7840734d40f95d0ac836c.jpg

Only issue is I took the bottom layer of plywood off in the process

Not exactly what I had intended by the switch is reusable, so I consider it a success. :biggrin_mini2:

1876109344_TLpointreplacement4.jpg.447588fec92d284b7c257740f47bfde4.jpg

That'll do as an intro.

Major tasks on hand are:

Finish Trackwork.
Replace the A frame at the Left end of the layout with simple H type leg.

Fit a back scene and lighting.

I'll post another update shortly with the work I completed this afternoon/evening.

Thoughts and criticism welcome :ok:

• Like 5

• Sharky changed the title to Taddles Lane Mk II - A Self Isolation Project

Following on from yesterday's efforts I cracked on with the laying track.

Here we see all the current pieces of track fixed down.

963794489_TLNewtrackage2.jpg.bc1f0c6bfee572ddbeb7e8fcf3eb26f7.jpg

The next track laying will be the installation of the crossover for the 'runround loop'.
It's approximate position is crudely drawn in red below...

568471537_TLNewtrackage1.jpg.218a53a9381f1d0df2464b59129acf96.jpg 

I'll have to wait for the points to arrive in the mail, but in anticipation I've removed the track pins and sleepers ready for the sections to be cut out.

The Down End point will be installed on the right of this track join. 

1513119306_TLNewtrackage3.jpg.ba7c096f917fd4ec77a34410c9e6d3bd.jpg

In my track laying endeavour I've come across the issue of my shoddy base board construction.
It appears I wasn't as precise as I should've been.
The boards are about 1mm out of alignment. So I've had to get some card and pack up the tracks on the left of the join.

1196013888_TLBaseboardlevel.jpg.b61a25df68fe3ee884273c1c22995952.jpg

Seems to work OK for now, but I'll see how badly out of alignment they are when I cut the rails.

That will be it for a few days, I need to source some thin wire for track droppers and wait for these points to arrive before I can continue doing much else.

• 7 months later...
On 15/11/2020 at 22:19, DougN said:

Hi sharks, been a long time due to no meetings and you working when ever there is one! Looks like the layout is still getting there. Be great to see your progress in the future!

Hey Doug,

It has been a while.
I've progressed a little further with the layout by installing the crossover and wiring up the new sidings.

Unfortunately it hasn't progress much further as I'm unsure what setting I want for the layout.  
I'm thinking suburban station with a partial timber platform. I'd like to have a small signalbox aswell and an over bridge on the far right.
Looking for some inspiration on suburban yards if anyone has some pictures.
Also, hoping to make it fully interlocked and signalled (who would've guessed) using and building a Modratec Frame.

But these are just plans and ideas at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sounds good. I seem to go.from one little project to another. For the last 12.months or so i have been building 2 V2s and as this was delayed by parts i put them to the side ans built a signal box. Now i am onto to a complimentary station building.  So in tge future I'll take them.along to a meeting!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi - thought i would have a look at your progress as you were kind enough to look at my Hawkinsfield Junction progress reports.

Hope the Covid thingy hasnt attacked you?

Progress?

Andy R

New Zealand

G'day Andy,

Thanks for checking my thread out.

Not much progress in the past few months as I moved out of home into my own place.

Working on a new layout design but need to sort out baseboard design and storage underneath.

This was the last picture I took of the layout. It was a popular resting place in summer.

20210330_125427_HDR.jpg.a7321015d73a71fdaa3f8a15e35ffe89.jpg

Thankfully I've managed to avoid an encounter with covid. Fully vaccinated so hopefully that will remain the case.

• Like 1