How to create a compact, Tanfield-inspired layout?

Hi, I'm looking for some help and inspiration! Hope I'm in the right section.

I'd really like to create a layout which is based on/inspired by the Tanfield railway as it is today - ex-colliery preserved railway operated by tank engines (mostly ex-industrial), 4-wheel coaches and appropriate goods wagons.

I'd only have room for a 6x4 layout which makes it quite challenging. Clearly, this won't be an exact representation and neither do I want it to be - I simply want it to have that same feel of.

In terms of the layout, I'd like to include a simple MPD/storage yard based on Marley Hill Yard, and ideally two stations, at least one station similar to Andrews House - double track within the station for trains to pass, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve it - if anyone has any inspiration on how to fit all this into a 6x4 or how to build decent platforms, I'd be really grateful!

Secondly, I'd like to get some coaches that are a similar style and profile to the coaches used on the Tanfield Railway. I presume this will have to be in kit form but if they're fairly simple, similar to a Parkside Dundas kit, I'm up for that. I know many of their coaches were converted from wagons or brake vans, but  I have previously tried butchering a PD Southern PMV kit  with a craft knife to recreate the type of coaches used on the Middleton Railway; it didn't look great in the end so I'd rather not resort to that again if possible! Can anyone recommend some suitable models/kits?

FInally, if you've any other advice or can suggest good kits to build appropriate loco sheds etc, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

This is an idea that I've thought about myself. Not necessarily the Tanfield but something with the same feel in that it uses proper industrial locos, runs demo freights and uses appropriate coaches, not the usual BR Mk1s. The coaches on the Tanfield are mostly former pre-grouping 4-wheelers (that may be on later wagon frames?). There are lots of kits about, or you could wait for the Hattons RTR coaches and repaint them.

I think it's a great idea, although perhaps ambitious in your space. 

Ratio GWR 4 wheel coach kits might be a cheap start for your carriages though. I could help with layout planning, but that would cost I'm afraid. Otherwise, try digging out some of the Peco plan books to get a feel for what will fit in 6x4, perhaps shed scene on a corner, station on one of the curves, yard in the middle on one side with some trees and hill as a scenic divide?

Tanfield.jpg.560c54f70c91e563d8118ecd32b8d553.jpg

I should probably have drawn this by hand and taken a photo as I'm nowhere near as good with MS paint than the man who drew my avatar.

It would probably be a lot simpler to model the Tanfield on a long thin layout than a 6x4,  the gradients would take some careful working out but I'm fairly sure you could keep to 2nd radius curves.  The diamond crossing with the tiny signalbox always shown in photos could be modelled on the curve by making the crossing part cosmetic as its only the headshunt for the engine shed.  Lots of the sidings could be cosmetic too as they are filled with stock awaiting restoration.

9 minutes ago, Hesperus said:

Lots of the sidings could be cosmetic too as they are filled with stock awaiting restoration.

I think that is rather an understatement for the place!

I paid a visit there the weekend before "The shutdown" and was amazed by what they actually had there awaiting restoration. Had only previously made a very brief visit back in 1986, so had no real recollection of what they had "on site".

20-190.JPG.9730cdec690c8e2d164de3bcc4781fc5.JPG

20-192.JPG.a321fbed1ceae19c302054d0e35cfd78.JPG

20-193.JPG.209f9469acfca693a76136dba3a63d1a.JPG

20-205.JPG.53a1d122e9b83d8c63edf0a57ff1baf7.JPG

Certainly somewhere that is on the "must visit again" list once things start reverting to normal - preferably on one of their special event days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hesperus said:

Tanfield.jpg.560c54f70c91e563d8118ecd32b8d553.jpg

I should probably have drawn this by hand and taken a photo as I'm nowhere near as good with MS paint than the man who drew my avatar.

It would probably be a lot simpler to model the Tanfield on a long thin layout than a 6x4,  the gradients would take some careful working out but I'm fairly sure you could keep to 2nd radius curves.  The diamond crossing with the tiny signalbox always shown in photos could be modelled on the curve by making the crossing part cosmetic as its only the headshunt for the engine shed.  Lots of the sidings could be cosmetic too as they are filled with stock awaiting restoration.

Less might be more.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:25, Hesperus said:

I was starting to think that the spiral isn't adding much, it just doesn't feel right to have the stations so close together.

You could put a double-sided backscene between the two stations - I've seen this done before.

Stu

• Agree 1