@Lacathedrale Oh, yes please! Interest in the MER really does bear close scrutiny. An exhibition layout that ran its history through the day would be fascinating and fun, North Greenwich being a proper little BLT, with light goods traffic being made up by a well-used parcels tail traffic. Anyway...

I have news. It's not much, and it's not relevant (consistency is key) but there's been An Occurance:

AnGabW9.jpg

Modeling!

Edited by Schooner
Order restored
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping in to say hello, really, and share a nice high-rez photo of a trow in a field:

roger-brown-postcard-500-by-300.jpg

No excuse :)

...well, no good excuse.

I came across it whilst looking up something for Boats and Trains, the Rural Years, having only just noted with some surprise the derelict barges* in a field in this glorious aerial photo of the MR and GWR branches in the neighbourhood of Stonehouse, Gloucestershire (map - fascinating). Not sure I can get away with this sort of carry on over in Layout and Track Design!

*the barges being of a type almost totally un-recorded, apparently. As with the Docklands plan, even my 'quick and easy' model railway project features slightly niche watercraft...hence the looking-up. 

Sorry not to have anything Londoner. Temporary shift in priorities, but not interests. Night all, afternoon Annie :) 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Has anyone got a photo of the locos used on the E&WID&BJR which started in 1850?

Google images didn't seem to come up with much for the East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway 1850-1853

It's amazing how clean everything looks in the docks. Poplar 1898

Poplar-Dock-1898--1000x794.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, maico said:

Has anyone got a photo of the locos used on the E&WID&BJR which started in 1850?

Google images didn't seem to come up with much for the East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway 1850-1853

Pushing your luck for photos of railway or industrial subjects in the early 1850s. Not impossible, just highly unlikely.

6 hours ago, maico said:

It's amazing how clean everything looks in the docks. Poplar 1898

Poplar-Dock-1898--1000x794.jpg

Nice pair of Midland D299 5-plank wagons laden with coal. Big lumps!

• Like 4

I wonder if they had a way of controlling wiers and flash-locks to temporarily raise the river level.

The river there use to be very important for eel-catching, and I have a feeling that was done by deliberately causing flooding into pens on the flood-plain, then letting the water go.

(I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all the rivers of the UK, BTW, just happen to have learned about this while staying at a field centre just out of shot up the hill while on a school field holiday c1969!)

• Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Pushing your luck for photos of railway or industrial subjects in the early 1850s. Not impossible, just highly unlikely.

Nice pair of Midland D299 5-plank wagons laden with coal. Big lumps!

I suppose it was a bit ambitious trying to find a photo..

Early photographers seem more drawn to the GWR. Nemesis was buit in 1855 and Weymouth station photographed in 1857. Argus built 1842 served to 1873.

GWR_Nemesis_at_Trowbridge.jpg

WeymouthBrunel1857.jpg

GWR_engine_'Argus'.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, maico said:

It's amazing how clean everything looks in the docks.

Even if you look closely:

londons-docks-had-expanded-rapidly-at-th

...when they were new :) 

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The river there use to be very important for eel-catching...

I love this forum! Thank you, @Nearholmer :) No background info for the image I'm afraid - it just popped up in the background to something else - and nothing to offer but conjecture.

15 hours ago, maico said:

Long and short, no. I can do second generation:

1855-NLR-locomotive-1000x471.jpg

...but not the originals. If I do find any online I'll be sure to share them here.

One trick is to find high resolution pictures of the relevant place and period and then scour the background, matched with period maps to guide your search. I've found a wealth of useful information this way (although often half-hidden by the photographer's inexplicable desire to place brand new passenger express locomotives in the foreground, hiding all the things of actual value. Some people...)

Whilst I was furtling around on Getty, I found one that might be of general interest:

london-north-western-railway-240-locomot

...one for Stephen...

this-junction-linked-the-midland-railway

...and, chasing a lead, one for me:

Freight-engine-on-NLR-1906-1000x740.jpg

Ideal :) 

Edited by Schooner
Brain faster than fingers 'tho no more accurate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Schooner said:

...one for Stephen...

this-junction-linked-the-midland-railway

That's a splendid one, with the late-lamented gas holders. I like the carriage on the carriage truck. It's an official, DY 1825, as are most of the Science & Society Picture Library ones - from the NRM collection.

LNWR engines from the late 1850s onwards are much better recorded, photographically, than those of many other companies - something to do with being the Premier Line. That Trevithick Goods is a case in point.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I wonder if they had a way of controlling wiers and flash-locks to temporarily raise the river level.

The river there use to be very important for eel-catching, and I have a feeling that was done by deliberately causing flooding into pens on the flood-plain, then letting the water go.

(I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all the rivers of the UK, BTW, just happen to have learned about this while staying at a field centre just out of shot up the hill while on a school field holiday c1969!)

They are along side a canal, not a river (the river is the to left of the canal).  I suspect that if they tried to raise the canal level that much, it would have overflowed in a number of places.

I have seen pictures of barges being dragged out into a field, but that was late 1960s / early 70s so some form of mechanical winch or tractor would have been used.  The barges in question had reached the end of their working lives, and were set on fire.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, maico said:

Further up the NLR at Bow shed in 1900. Note how clean those doors are...

NLR-workers-1900-at-Bow-1000x842.jpg

And also to mention the immaculate loco! 

Closer inspection of the doors does show some distressing particularly at the top of the left hand one. The brickwork doesn’t look that new to me, with the mortar quite dark. I think if it was new, the mortar would be a lot lighter. 

Nevertheless, it’s a fantastic photo and oozes character. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kitpw said:

The brick arch in the photo of Bow Shed appears to have a piece of curved (?)rail as permanent centering - I've not come across that before.

I'm fairly sure I've seen similar used to strengthen a railway underbridge - trying to think where.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2021 at 21:24, Northroader said:

Oh yes! Smoked eel, yum, yum, yum!

Smoked? Smoked?  Come on its the East End.  Jellied, they would have to be, eaten with pie and mash and green liquor.   Umm.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Smoked? Smoked?  Come on its the East End.  Jellied, they would have to be, eaten with pie and mash and green liquor.   Umm.

Agreed. 

Never had it, but this man has probably cooked for half of London.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 19:55, Compound2632 said:

I like the carriage on the carriage truck.

I think the first time I've seen this out in the wild. 

On 20/01/2021 at 21:14, Nearholmer said:

More detail!

Good Lord!

On 20/01/2021 at 21:59, figworthy said:

The barges in question had reached the end of their working lives

Entirely possible for this trow too, but she looks in reasonable nick...

On 21/01/2021 at 08:25, kitpw said:

The brick arch in the photo of Bow Shed appears to have a piece of curved (?)rail as permanent centering

Good spot. Something that would be modellable...hmmm... 

On 22/01/2021 at 21:27, Mikkel said:

What a character!

Isn't he just! He's the reason you all got this pic rather than one the others available :)

On 20/01/2021 at 03:11, maico said:

If anyone does, the North London Railway Historical Society will know about it - try reaching out to them, perhaps?

Now, I'm loathe to interupt the eel chat but, if I may, some non-historical pics:

1753633212_Screenshot2021-01-24130047.jpg.9369b063e20f0c600e746986a45b2701.jpg

Siding capacity test

2137452121_Screenshot2021-01-24131103.jpg.f6d0e40d2f11cc4e6a8318637839bbc9.jpg

Clearance test

2055067811_Screenshot2021-01-24125944.jpg.cadd23f943c7631845a889ca60ffd8d9.jpg

Micro-nook test (Inglenook puzzle on 3-2-2 capacity sidings with 5 wagons for a 3-wagon train)

1424750240_Screenshot2021-01-23222153.jpg.a15a276328701b9f41152053f3129440.jpg

769999682_Screenshot2021-01-24130718.jpg.a9cc9de596b3628f381ef092bc532e10.jpg

Just 'cos :)

The results of a couple infuriating evenings in Trainz. Very much WIP. Long way to go, but I'm finding the software barely sufferable so thought I'd have a little upload-pause to take stock. I seem to learn more looking at the pics through the lens of RMWeb than I do within the program!

Frustration stems largely from the loss of assets when my computer wiped itself before Christmas (meaning I also lost the SCARM version of the layout plan), and the awful search function within Trainz. Hours (quite literally) spent looking for objects that I probably don't have, followed by hours (due to the inexplicable throttling of Trainz downloads to <4KB/s) of trying, and usually failing, to get hold of them. There's much to do even to get back to the previous version.

For reference, the layout plan follows:

897353407_DocklandsLayout.jpg.2ae62ecc300fed293d58b7598b17e217.jpg

A: Offices

B: Signal box

C: Flour mill

D: Customs House

E: South Dock Station (note roofline of the timber sheds behind)

F: No idea, but it's on the map and makes aesthetic sense :) Currently thinking of it as a small admin building with clock tower

G: Gatehouse/police office

H: Drill hall

I: Signal box

J: Engine shed (low relief, based on that at Millwall Dock)

K: Goods depot (based on GWR at Poplar)

L: Grain depot (based on Millwall1930s aerial)

M: Warehouse

N: Transit shed

1: Topsail schooner (Rhoda Mary for lines)

2: Thames Sailing Barge  (the swim-headed barge looks...well...is ancient, but the photo was taken in 1884, the year of the layout)

3: Thames lighters (and barges, a mix)

4: Cutty Sark

5: HMS President (in ordinary, bow and stern accurate, middle truncated to fit

#: Armstrong box crane

The whole thing based here, but is informed by the Isle of Dogs docks and the Port of London more widely - no excuse but greed :)  

I'll call it there before I lose the whole afternoon, but might be back in a while to talk through intended operations for the layout which should help make sense of the trackplan. Right, where were we...

young-lady-with-her-strange-homemade-net

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 10