Friends of Pendon webpages

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak Pendon Museum has been closed since the middle of March for an indefinite period.

I would like to remind everyone that the website and Facebook pages are still active and being regularly updated.

If you are a Friend of Pendon the 'Friends Place' on the website is full of material to keep you motivated and inspired whilst confined to home. There are many hours of videos available ranging from Roye England's 1971 BBC televised programme "From dream to Reality", recent Friends events including Gordon Gravett's presentation of Arun Quay and special events such as "Diesels in the Vale". Friends Place also has a huge range of other interesting articles, archive material and every issue of the Pendon Papers. Enough to keep anyone busy and entertained.

The screenshot below shows additional content to Friends Place in 2020 858209677_Screenshot2020-04-06at16_25_44.png.4e0f2678f6b20efecd1cdb9b89a296a7.png

Pendon's Friends are extremely important to the survival of the museum. Pendon has no visitor income coming in at the time of year when visitor numbers are usually starting to rise, but like all institutions there are still bills to pay. Whether or not you have ever thought about it, now would be a great time to consider becoming a Friend of Pendon. As well as immediate access to Friends Place on the website, you also get free unlimited access to the Museum once it is open again, access to Friends events, discounts on workshops etc. and you would help ensure the survival of Pendon at this difficult time.

You can find out more and sign up at www.pendonmuseum.com/friends-of-pendon/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2020 at 11:25, Crepello said:

Signed up.

Excellent and thank you. I understand a few others did so on Tuesday as well, perhaps as a result of this post. 

Once you've had a chance to explore the content perhaps you could give some feedback here. It would really help.

• RMweb Gold

As a taster I will use this thread to post some photographs of Pendon scenes, some with a short explanation and others I'll let speak for themselves.

Pendon's Dartmoor scene: The black and white photograph shows Walkham viaduct, the basis for Guy William's model shown with a Steam Railmotor crossing heading down the branch to Portkerrick.

532061600_WalkhamViaduct.jpg.270aac45aa732629c2adc6aa3b03a903.jpg

1998145842_RailmotoronDartmoor.jpeg.b9bc63c53fe727cc90ab96b8a5c9e0f0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2020 at 16:46, Arun Sharma said:

There's also some very nice digital jigsaws on the Pendon website - varying degrees of difficulty and complexity - not wholly surprisingly, there is a detectable GWR leaning

I agree that the jigsaws are very nice. However, if anyone else is thinking of trying them, the "pieces" are very small on a smartphone - they're much easier to solve on a decent size tablet (or PC).

The "GWR leaning" shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

OK - I'm sure that "other railway companies were also available" :o . However, a lot of people realise that there was only one Great Western Railway ... :D .

On 09/04/2020 at 11:32, nickwood said:

As a taster I will use this thread to post some photographs of Pendon scenes, some with a short explanation and others I'll let speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I've added four new official Pendon videos to gwr.org, the first of which is the official opening of the mainline in the Vale Scene

I very much doubt that I'm alone in looking forward to these photos and videos.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

The photos I am posting have been supplied by the museum. They have all been taken by either Andy York, Adrian Knowles or Paul leonard Unfortunately I have not been told who's are who's but credits must go to all of them and they remain copyright of Pendon Museum and the individuals.

Two more photos of trains on the viaduct

Prairie, B Set and Luggage Van on the up local service.

1837967030_PrairieBsetandLuggagevancopy.jpg.e8858d9dee032cb53e7e5b12ac869e3c.jpg

A rare shot of the long coal train which used to run on Dartmoor before its move to the Vale scene. This was the train lots of visitors came away from Pendon remembering. Usual run with approximately 90 loaded coal wagons, the operator would stop the train along the front of the scene and demonstrate backing up to slacken the couplings before re-starting the heavy train by picking up one wagon at a time. A practice frowned upon by the authorities because of the danger of breaking couplings. The photo shows the wagons buffered up so must have been taken during one of these demonstrations.

1266571336_Coaltrainonviaduct.jpg.f82443483e6bd18f942f4cea24c3cbb5.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A number of new Friends of Pendon subscriptions have been received since I started this thread, so on behalf of Pendon Museum, if you were one of them, thank you for your support. 

Once you have had the opportunity to explore the benefits of Friends membership it would be really useful if you could provide some feedback by posting your thoughts here.  Whilst positive comments will always be welcome we would also be interested to hear how, or where the Friends section of the Museums website (Friends Place) could be improved. Your feedback may also help to encourage others to consider becoming a Friend of Pendon.

To enable accurate models to be made many of Pendon's buildings in the Vale scene have required extensive research to determine how they looked in the 1920's and 30's. One of the easier ones in this respect was the station building at Pendon Parva station which is modelled on nearby Culham Station. Whilst the Ticket Office is no longer in railway use this Grade II listed building has changed very little over the years as can be seen from this photographic comparison with the superb model built by Stephen Clinch.

84390334_IMG_17012.jpeg.e14f57c62d0e3efad95c376640b5bb63.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Staying with the Dartmoor scene, we follow the journey of 2-6-0 Abadare 2616 after it leaves the main line storage sidings with an up mixed goods. Here we see it entering the sea wall section at Pendon. This photo clearly shows the super elevated trackwork.

1804538419_Pendon-41copy.jpg.6f9d3571c521b8bded3d76e9c5918c67.jpg

Further along the sea wall 2616 is about to pass 4-6-0 King class 6013 "King Henry VIII" with the down Cornish Riviera Express. The crew of the KIng clearly take pride in the appearance of their loco compared to the Aberdare on more mundane duties.

1074711431_Pendon-40copy2.jpg.6472512e3488db4107f192174de16657.jpg

After leaving the seawall section the next sighting of 2616 is at Pen Tor Road station on the Dartmoor scene as it passes 4-6-0 Saint class 2921 "Saint Dunstan" on an down Parcels. It will shortly enter the tunnel and return back to the main line storage sidings.

1550090493_Pendon-11copy.jpg.2e1a5e8b5428bd5463e53e9554165478.jpg

The mainline trains on the Dartmoor scene can only be seen by visitors on the sea wall section and the end of the Dartmoor scene which represents Pen Tor Road junction. For most of their journey around the circuit they run hidden from view at the rear of the Dartmoor scene. 

More details about the trains that run at Pendon and the Main Line, Dartmoor scene and Sea Wall can be found on the Museums website www.pendonmuseum.com and Friends Place

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Already a Friend of Pendon and so nice to see this thread.

Could I also draw attention to Andy York's 'Postcards from Pendon' thread which covers a couple of photography days when those who attended were able to take pictures with the screens down - very memorable days!

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for mentioning that Tony, anything that helps keep Pendon on people's radar whilst we go through this lockdown and encourages Friends membership or even the possibility of volunteering in the future can only be a good thing at this time.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to see this thread on here. I have been a friend of Pendon for quite a while now and always enjoyed my visits, which were sadly infrequent because I live in Cornwall.

I look forward to the reopening of the museum but in the meantime I will enjoy the website and Pendon Paper.

Back in the nineties I had a picture that I took of Pendon as my screensaver at work and was asked by a colleague where was it a picture of? They were convinced it was of a real place.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

How about a Christmas gift of Friends membership to support Pendon in these challenging times. Details of the benefits and how to apply are on the Pendon website www.pendonmuseum.com

Watch a Churchward 28xx loco hauling a long coal train through the Vale on its way to London.

https://fb.watch/1WhWSLl5Yg/

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
On 18/04/2020 at 17:11, nickwood said:

anything that helps keep Pendon on people's radar whilst we go through this lockdown and encourages Friends membership or even the possibility of volunteering in the future can only be a good thing

We'll try and keep the flag flying in BRM too with a feature on Madder Valley next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

On behalf of Twickenham & District MRC I would like to thank the PENDON team for supporting us by sending us an exclusive 'behind the scenes' article for our club's newly launched monthly magazine.

Our new club magazine (Single Line Working) seeks to look beyond just T&DMRC issues and where better to start than PENDON and in particular what PENDON has been up to during the various lockdowns. We were delighted when the team provided us with some 'world exclusive' photos of work being carried out on the layout and also some detail photos of a new building under construction and also some background text.

We, as a club, have on several occasions been able to organise private visits to PENDON and hope to be able to do so again in the not too distant future.

If anyone reading this would like to learn more about Twickenham & District MRC we are offering a FREE trial subscription to our new monthly magazine to any potential members and other interested parties until our clubrooms can re-open later in the year.

If you would like to take advantage of this free subscription (backdated to our first edition in December 2020) please email us on chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com.

Thanks again to everyone at PENDON for you help and support.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you are looking for something to pass away these lockdown days what could be better than watching a number of videos of Pendon's past Friends events and other exclusive content. You just need to subscribe as a Friend of Pendon to enjoy this content on the website.

https://pendonmuseum.com/friends-of-pendon and you'll also be helping Pendon through these difficult times. 

Here is a Youtube taster from my presentation to Friends about building and exhibiting Much Murkle in November 2018. The full version can be found along with;

Taking 3D Photographs, Paul Ellis

An interview with Iain Rice

Railway Architecture, John Minnis

James Russell on the artist Eric Ravilious

Arun Quay with Gordon Gravett

Denis Pellerin on working women in the stereoscope

Diesels in the Vale

1971 BBC interview with Roye England 

and much more

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, darthmh said:

Just found this thread and have signed up as a Friend of Pendon.  Hopefully we will be able to visit in the summer.

On behalf of Pendon, thank you.

There is a huge amount of interesting videos and webpages exclusively available to you as a Friend as well as other benefits. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At today’s Trustee zoom meeting it was reported that 30 new Friends have joined since January 1st. This is great news and helps enormously with Pendon’s income at a time when we unable to welcome visitors.

it is impossible to say how many will have joined the Friends scheme through this thread but if you have then on behalf on Pendon, thank you.

Providing the Government sticks to the dates on the Road Map, Pendon will be reopening under COVID safe rules later in May. As soon as I have details I will post them here and we look forward to welcoming visitors again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 12:57, Pacific231G said:

Thanks for the reminder Nick. I've been a Friend of Pendon for years but haven't looked at the website for a while. When my current editorial rush is over I'll make sime tome for a nice relaxing virtual visit.

Apologies for overlooking your comment. Hope you’ve found the time to take a virtual visit and found it entertaining and informative.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

www.pendonmuseum.com

A big thank you to all Friends of Pendon. Whether you are a long standing Friend or have recently joined, your support has helped enormously to get us through these difficult times.

Following the latest guidelines Pendon Museum will be reopening on Saturday 22nd May. For the period until we can open fully we will be following "the rule of six" with timed, pre booked entry. We are so pleased to be able to welcome you back. Full detail on dates and how to book can be found on our website using the link above.

We look forward to seeing you.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2