How to cover certain parts from getting spray painted? (GWR King)

• RMweb Premium

As part of my wartime black GWR King (Link Here), I am at the stage of paining it. I've put two coats of spray primer on it on everything and I am looking to spray it with black.

My question is; what is the best way to protect the front/rear buffers and the safety value so they don't end up black and can be painted at a later time? (Red for the front/rear buffers and brass for the safety valve).

Thank you in advance.

I cut a piece of masking tape the same size as the buffer beam with two holes* for the buffers to poke through. Then wrap a strip of tape around each buffer.

* They don't need to be circular holes, just a cut X centered on the buffer will work.

Cheers!

Steve

39 minutes ago, Retro_man said:

I cut a piece of masking tape the same size as the buffer beam with two holes* for the buffers to poke through. Then wrap a strip of tape around each buffer.

* They don't need to be circular holes, just a cut X centered on the buffer will work.

Cheers!

Steve

Don't try to use domestic masking tape a la B&Q etc. Its a bit too sticky and can lift the base paint. Tamiya do a good low tack tape in various widths.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, JeremyC said:

Don't try to use domestic masking tape a la B&Q etc. Its a bit too sticky and can lift the base paint. Tamiya do a good low tack tape in various widths.

Agreed Jeremy, the Tamiya stuff is definitely the best, but I have successfully used the green stuff without issue. I think a lot has to do with how well the primer has adhered...

Cheers!

Steve

17 minutes ago, Campaman said:

You can take some of the tack out of domestic masking tape by applying it to glass or tile then cut it into strips and use it.

Most of the domestic masking tape I have bought recently has been very poor quality. Frogtape is my first choice or try a paint supplier to the motor trade for quality tape.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2020 at 01:23, OnTheBranchline said:

Peatling Hall wasn't when she was built?

If you have the prototype photographic evidence, then got for it. I'm far from an expert on wartime liveries, but know things like white roofs were painted grey to reduce visibility from the air, so would presume that anything shiny and making a loco stand out to air attacks would be painted over as well. I'll leave the real experts on this to confirm one way or another. :)

Not that it really matters, unless you are going for prototypical accuracy, but none of the Kings or Castle class locos were ever painted black as a wartime livery.  Instead, they were painted plain green and had GWR or G Crest W on their tenders.   It is debatable whether Halls were painted black with the exception of the modified Halls that appeared during the war which were painted black and only had Hall Class written on the nameplate as most were not named when built.  All tank engines received the unlined black livery.  Interestingly, most coaches were repainted during the war into an all brown with an orange centre stripe livery.

I used to have a book called “Modelling the GWR” that had information on wartime liveries and the information I have shared above is based on my memory of what was written in that book.  At the time (1993) I had ordered some N gauge Grange Class and a single Manor class loco representing Laira’s wartime allocation from P&D Marsh and I remember that the seven Granges were plain green and the Manor was plain black.  I sold all the locos which had cost me £75 per loco to a dealer called the Carriage and Wagon Works (now defunct) for a pittance.  I always wondered what became of them.