GWR Siphon G & H Bogies

81E

As I have several of the old Airfix type Siphon s and H, I have been creating some variety by fitting alternative bogies. (GWR American and Plate Framed - see below) However, does anyone know if either (or both) these types of outside framed siphons were fitted with Churchward Fishbelly bogies?

Plate.PNG

American.PNG

Edited by 81E
  • Like 1

The HMRS book isn't specific on that, just noting volutes as "Used under .... diagrams O.11 and O.12" - though 'American' bogies are also listed for those diagrams. The only photographic evidence is of No.1359 ( O.11 ), when new, and only two later changes are listed for this Lot ....... though, as they say, "with no change of wheelbase, there was no impelling reason to note a change of bogie". There are photos of "Siphon Bogies" later in the book but the volute example illustrated isn't under a Siphon.

I get the impression the volute bogies were not a success. Where fitted initially under trailers, they were replaced quite quickly by Americans or fishbellies. If they were rough-riding, that's the last thing one wants under a bunch of milk churns.

It probably didn't, and might even have made things worse. Without any other information, I suspect the problem may have been an almost complete absence of damping in either the primary or secondary suspension.  The potential result would have been instability in response to track irregularities, and vertical irregularities were wont to occur every 45' in the jointed track of the time. Normally, with leaf springs, there is a significant element of damping from the friction between the spring leaves.

The GWR's American bogies (and the similar bogies used by a few other railways) are a hybrid, with coil springs on the primary suspension but leaf springs for the secondary. Given how long they lasted, the combination must have been adequate. The Commonwealth bogies used by BR had, as far as I can recall, coil springs throughout, and were equipped with vertical dampers in parallel with the secondary suspension.

Coil springs didn't really make it back into rolling stock suspensions until the arrival of the B4 bogie, which incorporated dampers from the beginning.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

Excuse me for butting in here, I have a question bout the wheel sizes used on the Siphon G bogies. I have a drawing of the 0.11 version which shows 9'bogie centres but no detail of the bogie or wheel size. Scaling from the drawing (a bad idea, I know) I get a wheel size of bout 3'9". I expected 3'6". could anyone advise me of the size of the wheels please?

• 2 years later...