Fictitious N Gauge Preserved Railway Layout - No Name Yet

Normski7

2 minutes ago, ITG said:

You don’t seem to have enjoyed much comment or feedback on your evolving plans, and indeed layout building. Some of your work strays solidly into areas beyond my expertise, as I am in OO, not N. Also, it’s not clear (to me) if you are in DC or DCC. I run the latter.

I wonder if the lack of response is because your entire thread is in Layout Topics, which often contains news of almost or fully completed layouts. You may have more luck with subject-specific topics in appropriate threads, as opposed to the wider context of the overall layout?

good luck anyway.

Good advice, thank you, i have always enjoyed following other peoples layouts in this area and some are also building from scratch so i thought this was the correct place to do it

6 minutes ago, ITG said:

You don’t seem to have enjoyed much comment or feedback on your evolving plans, and indeed layout building. Some of your work strays solidly into areas beyond my expertise, as I am in OO, not N. Also, it’s not clear (to me) if you are in DC or DCC. I run the latter.

I wonder if the lack of response is because your entire thread is in Layout Topics, which often contains news of almost or fully completed layouts. You may have more luck with subject-specific topics in appropriate threads, as opposed to the wider context of the overall layout?

good luck anyway.

My Layout is DC analogue as it would be too expensive to upgrade my collection to DCC

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Normski7 said:

Good advice, thank you, i have always enjoyed following other peoples layouts in this area and some are also building from scratch so i thought this was the correct place to do it

Well, I guess there’s no right or wrong place, and one can get loads of helpful comments on here, although sometimes it seems better, more varied responses and opinions surface when the question asked is quite specific, rather than a broader ‘any comments’ request.

Bit of operational fun

GWR Hall “Hinderton Hall” sits ready to depart at Platform 1 and BR Standard 5 “Camelot” has just arrived at the head of its train having just come off shed

Hinderton Hall then departs and heads up to towards Corner Tunnel

02FD7285-E4B1-42AA-81E2-23B6B1A4FAC1.jpeg

B65B0E55-155E-42CC-9354-C9B0C90E6ED8.jpeg

6A9FC35B-41ED-4392-A0B3-DFA0F3C17E74.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Stuart A said:

Can't believe I've not seen this until now.  Looks like a great setup with loads of potential!

Thanks, i wanted best of both worlds with this layout, i love preserved steam railways and wanted to have my own to operate but thought i would miss twin track loop running so i added the upper mainlines to work with. I am very pleased with it so far

42 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Hi 

The preserved railway main station is most impressive. Just a thought, does the rest of the preserved railway allow you to use the main station to it's full extent? 

Regards 

Nick 

Hi Nick, The main station allows me to operate exactly as you would see on a preserved railway, ive added isolated sections to the coaling area and both sheds to allow multiple locos to be stored there and move them around as and when i need to. I can also isolate the coaling area to the diesel depot and use a 2nd controller to move things around up there whilst the main controller 1 moves trains between the main station and westcombe junction.

I will be able to have up to 6 loco’s with stock on the preserved line at any one time but only be able to move 2 at once. For example i could send a train to westcombe junction from the main station and another from station 3 to westcombe at the same time.

I am intending to put a water tower at station 3 for a bit of realism too so loco’s can be watered at either end of the preserved line

• Thanks 1

A typical operation could be :

1. Loco’s being fired in the shed area

2. Bring one or two off shed and send up to water & coaling area

3. Use a station pilot to bring stock out of the carriage siding and into station

4. Move station pilot to goods line

5. Bring a loco from coaling and turn it on the turntable

6. Bring the 2nd loco down to the coaches in the station

7. Send the turned loco up the line to work a train travelling in the opposite direction

8. Take a train to Westcombe Junction from main station

9. Bring the 2nd back from Westcombe Junction

10. Run the loco around its coaches in Main Station ready for another turn