Unidentified rolling stock

rodent279

2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

True, though Hadfield went 25kV later in 1984, so it's possible they used whatever was the nearest 25kV OHL maintenance train-presumably Longsight?

Must've been right at the end of the year as my records show me photting 506s in early December ( MUST get them scanned ) .......... I think the contact wire had been upgraded earlier and I believe I've got an offcut of the old type carefully filed away - somewhere ! 

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Must've been right at the end of the year as my records show me photting 506s in early December ( MUST get them scanned ) .......... I think the contact wire had been upgraded earlier and I believe I've got an offcut of the old type carefully filed away - somewhere ! 

It was, first or 2nd weekend in Dec '84 was changeover I believe. I think the contact wire was retained, but the insulators were changed to the 25kV type over a few months previously.

Edited by rodent279

To satisfy my own curiosity about the buildings on the skyline of the original photo, today's lockdown walk was over the black path bridge. I took this photo which was about as near as I could get to the original angle, albeit a few hundred yards nearer the buildings.

rugby.jpg.1e3d44ae2408d9b38de0be2d77b9f3a7.jpg

The two blocks of flats are to the left - one block mainly obscures the other one behind it. The other building is Myson House, at the bottom of Railway Terrace; it isn't as tall as the flats but is much nearer the camera. 

So that little problem is sorted and I can now sleep soundly tonight.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I took some other photos - this is a few feet away from the first one.

rug3.jpg.20c313e66dfd7cf42ecaa16006bc1d7d.jpg

Turning 180 degrees;

rug2.jpg.b68ed2a62269e105935b02c0c735126a.jpg

The building in the centre of this photo is the same one as in your shot, but from the opposite end. The foreground industrial units sit on old sidings, I think.

And from the other end of the bridge;

rug4.jpg.d556eca422aa027a16d6e1d4a65b5459.jpg

If you want any specific views, let me know and I'll wander down again, it's only about 20 mins walk from home and it looks like lockdown will be here for a while yet.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, good stuff. I think those industrial units are just discernible in my photo. I stand to be corrected, but I think it was sidings, and maybe either a goods yard or a wagon repair shop.

• 1 year later...