Bass Charrington grain wagons - where did they operate?

pinzaboy

46 minutes ago, davefreight said:

From old TOPS records known loading points for these grain vans when in main line use were Mistley and Ipswich, both RW Paul at Ipswich Docks and Ipswich Maltings at Ipswich Griffen Wharf, but there could have been other loading points in East Anglia.  I have a notion that by 1976 they were lettered 'To Work Between Eastern Region and Burton-on-Trent'.  In all these flows to Burton they worked alongside similar BR Grain Vans.

Thanks very much

Tim

Just remembered that one of my favourite layouts on the current circuit is 'Fenchurch St Peter' (which has a thread here on RMWeb). It's set in the Kings Lynn area and runs these wagons.Those guys might have further ideas about use of the the Bass grain vans at the East Anglian end of things. They state their layout is set in 1967 which would be the very earliest point of Bass Charrington liveried vehicles.

Edited by Colossus

There is a colour photo in the link below of a rake of these at Fakenham in the late 60s behind a Green 31 with full yellow ends:

https://fakenhamcommunityarchive.weebly.com/fakenham-east-norwich-rd.html 

Until then I didn't even realise Fakenham was still dispatching grain at that point (the maltings that spring to mind being at Ryburgh and North Elmham). 

- James

Edited by jamesC37LG
Extra information
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...