Last locomotive in full rail blue

SeanG

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could answer this query, after much searching to no avail.

What was the last locomotive to run in service with BR blue (discounting Large Logo) ? I'm not counting "heritage repaints" such as the Chiltern Blue/Grey set, or DRS's 37s.
I understand that in the late 80s that many were repainted into sector liveries but that some retained all blue - was this retained into the 90s?

I ask as I am wondering whether it would be legitimate to use a full rail Blue class 37 on a layout set in the early 1980s and also on another set in the early 1990s (at a stretch) 

Many Thanks

• RMweb Premium

A quick look at my spotting book from 1990 suggests a roughly 50% of unrefurbished 37s were still in blue.  Ideally you'd need to refer to photos though as things like orange cant rail stripes and depot motifs were more common by that date.

The 1990 P5 has 52 non-refurbished 37s in banger blue. However, most/all non-refurbished 37s would have had the buffer beam fairings removed by then (they look much better); in the early 80's quite a few still had them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Didn't 37217 make it until the late 1990s in blue?

Edit: I have a photo of it at York in the summer of 1994.

Wasn't 217 something of a Cornish 'celebrity'? Or were the embellishments painted over in later years? 

37217 was the last centre box in blue, stored in 1995. 37003 was the last split box, repainted in Dutch in early 1992.  Apart from the bufferbeam cowls, also need to take into account the marker light panels, radio aerials, headlights, cantrail stripes, etc.

Probably looking at 31427 and 56004 as the last of all non-celebrities in traffic, went in Feb and April 1999 respectively.

• Informative/Useful 4