Lenz 100 not responding

mikes rail

• RMweb Gold

Good morning ,your thoughts please on following problem

i have a Lenz 100 set which is between 15 and 20 years old it has not been used a lot over last few years but say once a month. Unit was showing increasing problems of erratic working, locos would respond one minute and not the next, one day program track would work next error 2 code only. Sometimes hand set not responding to commands.

Due to age of base station my thoughts went to failing battery which I have now replaced however the following then happened.

when first powered back up all seemed ok ,I then went to use program track readout said error 2 followed by all locos on layout trying to move at once. Having removed all locos and trying different ones always the same result loco try's to speed away at top rate and does not respond to handset input. Have powered down layout and down reset as per manual but still no joy, if anyone can give some insight into what's it doing I would be most grateful, layout details below

thanks Mike 

small yard based asked layout app 5 foot long , peco code 100 track and points. Only locos run by dcc points etc separate, mix of med rad and 3 way point work. Decoders a mix of tcs Bachman lenz and gauge master 

• RMweb Gold

Is the command station the LS100 or LZV100? Either way I would strongly suspect the unit has developed a fault. The fact that all locos run away when you power on suggests that there is power to the track but no DCC signal so the locos think they're running on DC.

I had a similar problem a while ago with my LZV100 but it was well within warranty and was repaired free of charge as a result. I would suggest contacting A&H Models in the first instance as the UK agent for Lenz, but one option might be to trade in the command station for a new LZV200 with Lenz's trade-in offer. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, mikes rail said:

Just popped in he loft to see it's the LZV 100

Might be worth contacting A&H Models then. It sounds like it predates 3.6 so you may find a simple solution would be to see if they can upgrade it to that as the upgrade replaces the circuit board. Seem to remember when mine failed it was on 3.5 and the 3.6 upgrade fixed it. 

EDIT: See DCC Supplies who look as though they could do the upgrade - https://www.dccsupplies.com/search/results/?search=lenz

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

I had similar trouble with my Lenz system after a prolonged period out of use. I dismantled the handset thinking maybe one of the cores of the connecting cable had come adrift.

It turned out to be the main IC slightly loose in its socket. A good finger prod to re-seat the chip and all came good.