Dapol O Gauge Sentinel Y3 - tank remodelling

suomen

Hi Sentinel fans,

After adding sound to my Dapol Sentinel model (see RMweb Thread) I found just one thing faulty - the double rims of the tank top.

Dapol_Sentinel_203.jpg

If you look at the prototype you won't find them. Only the rear crossbar is as thick as with the model.

Dapol_Sentinel_200.jpg

Prototype photo by kind permission of ©Robert Thompson

If you are interested please watch Robert's photos of 'Isebrook' 2012 at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.

Back to the model - I understand completely why Dapol did it that way and it's a smart idea to simplify the decoder installation process. I had a more prototypical solution in mind, I cropped the slim edges and only left the rear thicker one.

Dapol_Sentinel_205.jpg

After that I put the tray back into the opening and protected the model with food wrap while filling and gluing the coal in place.

Dapol_Sentinel_206.jpg

Dapol_Sentinel_208.jpg

After drying the inset is ready and the coal forms nice even edges.

Dapol_Sentinel_210.jpg

Now it looks much smarter! I have to cope with the groove in the rear crossbar though. But that's ok for repair reasons. (although that might never happen… :)

Dapol_Sentinel_211.jpg

Ready for layout use!

Dapol_Sentinel_214.jpg

Dapol_Sentinel_212.jpg

Even the coal heap suits me fine. If you'd google for British Railways Sentinel you'll discover that my heap is a quite humble one :lol: (look at that one),

Edited by suomen
  • Like 10

That looks a nice job. Could you also fix the rear crossbar though, by carefully removing it after removing the sides? That way it could be attached to the adjoining part of the tank and the gap filled, and the insert removed and replaced by means of the tank filler. I think the coal load would then cover the join where you removed the crossbar from the tank top.

Adam

On 09/04/2020 at 17:07, Calidore said:

That looks a nice job. Could you also fix the rear crossbar though, by carefully removing it after removing the sides? That way it could be attached to the adjoining part of the tank and the gap filled, and the insert removed and replaced by means of the tank filler. I think the coal load would then cover the join where you removed the crossbar from the tank top.

Adam

Interesting idea, Adam. I'll think about it.  Thanks!

On 09/04/2020 at 21:21, Hal Nail said:

Nice job. Just out of interest what's the source of the shunters wagon?

It's scratch built. It is loosely based on a GWR diagram M4 shunter's truck.

I used a Coopercraft chassis which means it is a bit longer than would be prototypically correct. But that's intentional because I wanted to fit a track cleaner appliance underneath which needs some more space between the wheels.

The upper part is modelled after the one at 'STEAM' in Swindon where I made some photos.

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_STEAM-Swindon_02.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_STEAM-Swindon_03.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_018.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_017.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_104.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_108.jpg

GWR-shunters-truck_diaM4_204.jpg

The last picture shows the fitted track cleaner appliance.

Sadly I couldn't find appropriate decals yet. Seems no-one does them for shunter's trucks... :huh:

Edited by suomen
pictures added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Night Train said:

That looks loads better. What "coal" did you use?

It's self-made from a piece of real loco coal, crushed with a hammer to various sizes.

Dapol_Sentinel_206a.jpg

Edited by suomen
picture added
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Hal, you can buy a kit here:

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. I didn't know there's a kit. I needed the longer wheelbase anyway but I'll buy a WEP kit - you never can have enough shunters trucks!  :D

(sadly it's decalled in GWR livery, so I'm still searching...)

Edited by suomen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, suomen said:

Thanks Ade. I didn't know there's a kit. I needed the longer wheelbase anyway but I'll buy a WEP kit - you never can have enough shunters trucks!  :D

(sadly it's decalled in GWR livery, so I'm still searching...)

I'm pretty sure Scorpio do one as well but they dont have a website so I cant compare.

The preserved one at Didcot is converted from a mink (in 1953) and looks like a longer wheelbase to me.

You could always ask Railtec re custom transfers - they do brake van depot names so presumably could adapt in size for the toolbox part

Apologies to Sentinel fans for the off topic 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2020 at 09:44, Adrian Stevenson said:

Turns out there is another shunters truck you can buy.

. . . . . . . but only second hand. There are reports elsewhere that Adrian Swain (ABS) is seriously ill and there haven't been any ABS kits produced for a number of years.

• Friendly/supportive 1