Hornby 2020 range mk1 RB

davidw

12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

So some low-hanging fruit for Hornby to bring out a lot of their Mk1s with Commonwealth bogies.

And some with B4s if they have tooled that bogie. Lots of open firsts had them in blue/grey days for example.

• 2 weeks later...

A very welcome model considering it's 30 odd years since the Mainline version, which was a standout quality coach and stood the test of time as for me, it was always run alone with Mk2/3 stock.

My next project is WCML circa early 80's based around the Northamptonshire area, and in that time 3 x Mk1 catering vehicles were used, this model, the RBR, the RK and the modified Bachmann version.

The current Bachmann is useless as it was never seen, only the modified version with the buffet counter added. I'm not sure what is was classified as RB, RU? Almost identical to the RBR but with the external pantry door between the kitchen windows. I suppose I should jolly well get on and convert the Bachmann!

The only RK as seen at this period is by Southern Pride, so come on somebody and help me out with an RTR version, I'm sure they had them pre nationalisiation?

None of the other current RTR offerings were seen in this period, RMB's and TSOT's could be seen from Coventry northwards but not on the lines into Euston,

As a foot note I clearly remember the first Mk3a's to be seen were TRUB's, immaculate ex-work versions stuffed between grubby Mk2e/f. A modeling opportunity in itself!

Oh and if anybody knows of somebody willing to build me a southern Pride 310 EMU please let me know!!!

• RMweb Gold

Memory could be fallible, but surely the WCML trains which didn't have some form of RBR used RKBs rather than RKs? Important since they did have a sizeable buffet counter, a small standing area with a pole to hold onto (necessary with state of the track at the time) and the big kitchen. I certainly remember them on Liverpool trains.

2 hours ago, Andy W said:

Memory could be fallible, but surely the WCML trains which didn't have some form of RBR used RKBs rather than RKs? Important since they did have a sizeable buffet counter, a small standing area with a pole to hold onto (necessary with state of the track at the time) and the big kitchen. I certainly remember them on Liverpool trains.

There was a set that had an RK during the 1970s. In the early years of electric services, one set had two RKs. See this photo by David Ford.

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2020 at 12:43, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

This is so clear in photographs, that there should never have been any representation of them on models. If anyone has good access to a full file of 'The Engineer' BR publicised the butt welding process employed to join the roof panels with a flush profile that required no further finishing.

I see from the images on Hornby's site that roof ribs have made a comeback - not by popular demand surely?

image.png

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

I see from the images on Hornby's site that roof ribs have made a comeback - not by popular demand surely?

image.png

With a raft of RTR BR mk1 models already produced with prominent roof ribs, unfortunately there may well be demand for further product that 'matches', rather than manufactured on the basis of 'better conforms to prototype appearance'.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

With a raft of RTR BR mk1 models already produced with prominent roof ribs, unfortunately there may well be demand for further product that 'matches', rather than manufactured on the basis of 'better conforms to prototype appearance'.

I agree that is probably the case - but these on the RB look more prominent than those on their Mk1s released in recent years.  Hopefully it's the cruelty of the digital lens that has over emphasised them.  Will need to see them in the flesh.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

To be honest I'm more concerned we will yet again get Hornby's warm cream bodyside colour instead of grey, than whether or not it has roof ribs. Hornby's have always been better (i.e. less prominent) than Bachmann's efforts.

I routinely remove the ribs on mine. Bachmann and Hornby

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

The BR S green version doesn’t have a red stripe? Is that correct? 

The yellow stripe for first class and the red stripe for catering weren't introduced until right at the end of the maroon / green / choc - cream livery period.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

The rebuilt Bulleid ex-Tavern Cars (RBKs) had the red stripe applied in the early 60s, as did the Mk.1 RB replacements in the Bournemouth 6-car Bulleid sets.

Edited by Ceptic
Classification added
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ceptic said:

The rebuilt Bulleid ex-Tavern Cars had the red stripe applied in the early 60s, as did the Mk.1 RB replacements in the Bournemouth 6-car Bulleid sets.

IIRC from when I researched this, red stripes on catering vehicles and yellow stripes on first class first appeared in 1962.  Loco hauled coaches and EMUs got them retrofitted, but it appears that green DMUs didn't for some unfathomable reason.  Yellow stripes did appear on DMUs when repainted into blue.
HTH

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

IIRC from when I researched this, red stripes on catering vehicles and yellow stripes on first class first appeared in 1962.  Loco hauled coaches and EMUs got them retrofitted, but it appears that green DMUs didn't for some unfathomable reason.  Yellow stripes did appear on DMUs when repainted into blue.
HTH

Thanks Bob.

I did some researching myself back in the late 1960s/70s when I was preparing some of the MRC Bulleid coach drawings.

A few of the green 3-H 'Hampshire' DEMUs did acquire the 1st. class stripe (more cream than yellow), about the time the roof mounted air-horns appeared.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ceptic said:

Thanks Bob.

I did some researching myself back in the late 1960s/70s when I was preparing some of the MRC Bulleid coach drawings.

A few of the green 3-H 'Hampshire' DEMUs did acquire the 1st. class stripe (more cream than yellow), about the time the roof mounted air-horns appeared.

You are quite right, when the first class stripe was first introduced it was cream,

not yellow, and that's a fact. From the mid 60's onwards it was changed to yellow.

probably from the same paint pot as the yellow cab fronts.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

The earliest example of a red stripe on a BR catering coach I have found is S12609S, a rebuilt Griddle (from Kitchen) car in one of the 'Nelson' EMUs. Because of the plain green livery the red stripe is obvious even in monochrome. That's in the July 1962 issue of Modern Railways. Given publication dates and deadlines the photo is probably no later than early June 1962.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe its my eyes, but does the blue/grey have a white line around the grey ?

It should do but it is difficult to tell from the photo if the model has it or not, having looked at the photo's on Hattons I am swaying towards saying the white stripe is there so is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...