Hornby 2020 range mk1 RB

davidw

1696 was part of the Ocean Liner Express charter train. It has a slightly different livery though to what Hornby are producing, and it says 'Restaurant Car' on the side not 'Kitchen Car'.

I've bought one of the first releases which is also wrong, but as I've a Mk2 BFK to spray in green I will likely do the Mk1s too so they all match.

73003_14-8-1994

20201226_153506.jpg.84942afe10a1a449de09aa543158ef4c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

1696 was part of the Ocean Liner Express charter train. It has a slightly different livery though to what Hornby are producing, and it says 'Restaurant Car' on the side not 'Kitchen Car'.

I've bought one of the first releases which is also wrong, but as I've a Mk2 BFK to spray in green I will likely do the Mk1s too so they all match.

73003_14-8-1994

Thanks - the Anthony Kay photo is originally from August 1994 (according to the Flickr page it links through to), so 1696 was in charter service earlier than I thought from the Longworth reference.  The picture @markw linked to is from 2007 and does have the coach bearing the words "Kitchen Car", but I guess charter stock owners change these things as they want... 

When you say "I've bought one of the first releases which is also wrong", do you mean "wrong livery for the Ocean Liner Express", or is there something else more fundamentally awry?

4 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Thanks - the Anthony Kay photo is originally from August 1994 (according to the Flickr page it links through to), so 1696 was in charter service earlier than I thought from the Longworth reference.  The picture @markw linked to is from 2007 and does have the coach bearing the words "Kitchen Car", but I guess charter stock owners change these things as they want... 

When you say "I've bought one of the first releases which is also wrong", do you mean "wrong livery for the Ocean Liner Express", or is there something else more fundamentally awry?

Sorry I meant its not right for the Ocean Liner Express, it says 'Buffet Restaurant Car' so which ever I bought I'd have to modify it. I think you're right in saying that Hornby have modelled 1696 in its 2007 condition. 

• Like 1

Forgive me if I have missed it upthread, but has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Blue & Grey version alongside previous Hornby coaches from the past couple of years, please? 

TIA

If the RB's livery matches an all-Hornby rake that's rather better than needing to repaint for a mix and match into a predominantly Bachmann rake, for which I'll just retain the '70s Palitoy version; a model that does hold its own, even today, as others have mentioned. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Forgive me if I have missed it upthread, but has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Blue & Grey version alongside previous Hornby coaches from the past couple of years, please? 

TIA

If the RB's livery matches an all-Hornby rake that's rather better than needing to repaint for a mix and match into a predominantly Bachmann rake, for which I'll just retain the '70s Palitoy version; a model that does hold its own, even today, as others have mentioned. 

Would help But only have maroon one to hand .... blue grey one in paint shops already!

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Would help But only have maroon one to hand .... blue grey one in paint shops already!

LOL - no worries Phil!  

My maroon Mainline pair are possibly going to be removed from the fleet for replacement by a new Hornby example, as this carriage working is only necessary for relatively rare West Coast Class 1 diversions!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2021 at 14:17, SouthernMafia said:

Sorry I meant its not right for the Ocean Liner Express, it says 'Buffet Restaurant Car' so which ever I bought I'd have to modify it. I think you're right in saying that Hornby have modelled 1696 in its 2007 condition. 

Hornby now seem to be admitting this - S1696 is described on the Hornby website as Era 9, whereas the original information released described it as era 5.  

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

You will be pleased to read that my Hornby Mk1 SR green restaurant buffet car arrived at my local model railway shop yesterday so I am now in a position to compare it with my Lima and Replica versions.  The shade of green on the Hornby model looks right to me with the Replica version seeming too light and the Lima version too dark.  The glazing is flush on the Hornby model with the window recesses slightly deeper on the Replica version and very deep on the Lima version.  I think that pronounced ribs on the roof and the interior moulded in one colour let down the Hornby version. At £6.95 the Replica version is better value for money than the Hornby version at about £34 and you can still buy the Replica models for around £10 second hand.  it is a pity that all three manufacturers have made RBs when I am modelling the Swanage Railway which has three RUs and no RBs. 

Tri-ang's restaurant car had orange curtains and white table tops with napkins so it is a pity that Hornby cannot make these details now.  The Replica version had white table tops and a white counter on a tan moulding.

The pictures show:

Hornby model

Replica model

Lima model

Tri-ang model with curtains and white table top and napkins.

P1000415.JPG

P1000416.JPG

P1000417.JPG

P1000418.JPG

Edited by Robin Brasher
Corrected RK to RB
  • Like 1

Does the Replica interior fit into the Hornby? I think the Replica is similar to the Mainline interior which I always thought looked correct as the kitchen corridor wall was depicted in silver, and the table tops white.

I once swapped a Lima MK2b FK interior with an Airfix MK2d FO to create a MK2d FK, looked great!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

it is a pity that all three manufacturers have made RKs when I am modelling the Swanage Railway which has three RUs and no RKs. 

These are RBs, later RBRs, not RKs. Bachmann produces the RU and the Swanage Railway's RUs numbered 1939 and 1947 are from the Bachmann batch.

Edited by brushman47544
Factual correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

These are RBs, later RBRs, not RKs. The RK is the version produced by Bachmann. The Swanage Railway's RUs numbered 1939 and 1947 are from the Bachmann batch.

Are you sure that Bachmann produce the RK? Full Kitchen? I thought it was the RU. Mk1 catering vehicle are a bit of a minefield as they were rebuilt and refurbished several times during their lifetimes. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

These are RBs, later RBRs, not RKs. The RK is the version produced by Bachmann. The Swanage Railway's RUs numbered 1939 and 1947 are from the Bachmann batch.

Sorry about the error which I have corrected.  I had forgotten about the Bachmann RU.  I wondered why I had not bought a green Bachmann RU and then I remembered that I did not think Bachmann had made one.  Perhaps the RUs were never painted green in BR days. I agree that the MK1 restaurant cars are a minefield.

There was a previous post about R40025 BR southern region Mk1 restaurant buffet S1696 being on an Ocean Liner charter train.  I presume the livery of a kitchen car, with a BR crest and a red strip above the windows is based on a photograph of the coach.  I am surprised that it had a BR crest as this was only applied to Royal Wessex coaches and I am not sure if that formation had an RB. Also the red strip began to be applied to ocean liner expresses around 1960 and later on to other coaches.  I wonder if anyone has any information about S2696 in the model's livery.  It looks attractive.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

There was a previous post about R40025 BR southern region Mk1 restaurant buffet S1696 being on an Ocean Liner charter train.  I presume the livery of a kitchen car, with a BR crest and a red strip above the windows is based on a photograph of the coach.  I am surprised that it had a BR crest as this was only applied to Royal Wessex coaches and I am not sure if that formation had an RB. Also the red strip began to be applied to ocean liner expresses around 1960 and later on to other coaches.  I wonder if anyone has any information about S2696 in the model's livery.  It looks attractive.

Yes, that was my post (amongst others).  The point was that I could find no evidence of coach 1696 being allocated to the Southern Region (and hence being green) until it had been withdrawn from BR service and become part of the fleet of one of the charter operators in the 1990s. 

The condition it has been modelled in appears appropriate for 2007...

• Thanks 1

On 07/01/2021 at 23:51, SouthernMafia said:

73003_14-8-1994

The first photo inspired this train on my layout yesterday. I've placed the new RB in second position rather than 3rd so hopefully it is easier to see.

This rake has 2 Hornby Mk1s (first 2 coaches inc the RB), 1 Bachmann Mk2 and 3 Bachmann Mk1s. The green in the Hornby Mk1s and Bachmann Mk2 are fairly close. The Bachmann Mk1s being somewhat darker. This set replaces an older Replica set (all Mk1s).

73.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived yesterday, so a couple of observations, (apologies if these have already been mentioned).

The wheels are to a strange Hornby specification, with flanges too deep to allow running on finer SMP/C&L track when pulled out to EM gauge, a good 0.4mm wider overall than Bachmann.

The coupling is mounted on the bogie, so what's the answer to close coupling now there isn't a cam system?

Mike.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The coupling is mounted on the bogie, so what's the answer to close coupling now there isn't a cam system?

Mike.

The answer is to avoid having curves on your train set! 

On a more practical note, I've got a few close coupling thingamajigs that I've removed from my coaches, so you're more than welcome to them if it helps. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, davidw said:

Question for those who've got the maroon version. Does it match the other Hornby Bachmann maroon mk1s? a moving video image I saw seemed to show a disparity in colour and lining. 

Its upstairs and I’m downstairs at the mo but I’d say ‘no’ - its a bit flatter and more brick red than either the Bachmann or earlier Hornby versions. The lettering is a little heavy too. It does stand out a little if I’m honest. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Its upstairs and I’m downstairs at the mo but I’d say ‘no’ - its a bit flatter and more brick red than either the Bachmann or earlier Hornby versions. The lettering is a little heavy too. It does stand out a little if I’m honest. 

Thanks that was my impression.