Hornby 2020 range mk1 RB

davidw

On page 64 of the March Hornby Magazine there is a review of Hornby's Restaurant Buffet with pictures of the BR maroon, green and Intercity versions.  The cutaway picture shows the brown interior which looks like it is crying out to be painted in authentic colours.  The review shows which Mk1 coaches are available in the new range and goes on with a history of the restaurant buffets followed by a review of the model.  The reviewer is impressed with the paint finish and quality of the underframe.

P1000415.JPG

On 05/02/2021 at 21:58, SouthernMafia said:

My inspiration:

73101_6-4-1995

33116 7 050694

My models....still lots to do, the 73 only arrived this week so is box fresh! I have the correct formation with all Hornby Mk1 BG/FO/FO/RB/FO and a Bachmann Mk2 BFK in the rear to be repainted.

134683936_2021-02-0520-44-03.jpg.879c6bb7b4777710f3903af32ebed03c.jpg

1428305655_2021-02-0520-36-06.jpg.b1ac49fc847249b6478662b44db45539.jpg

Cool stuff - You got me inspired again.

Here I removed the Bachmann Mk2 FO and replaced it with a Bachmann Mk1 in Choc/Cream and then replaced a Hornby Brk with a Replica Mk1 BG. The Hornby RB is in 4th spot sandwiched  between 2 darker Bachmann Mk1s:

33_RB_1.jpg.fda10ceebd1d8e435843145726b6e95b.jpg

33_RB_2.jpg.780b87c5d469526eecc6e74f1f769775.jpg

Here I have dug out my Brighton Evening Argus. The Choc/Cream now replaced by a Hornby brake. The difference in green between the first 4 is quite striking in this shot (replica then Hornby then Bachmann then Hornby): 

73_RB.jpg.cf4f137c1ad4d547dd6feb9e251dce43.jpg

• Like 3

As this carriage has been produced with the cut-outs at interior roof level to enable lighting to be fitted, it's a pity that the power bogie that was on the R4607, R4609 and R4609A Mk1's with lights, does not appear to be available as a spare. Although there are a number of carriage lighting kits available, it would be so much easier to attach a power bogie and run a couple of wires up to a LED strip attached to the underside of the roof and take your lighting from the track. I assume(?) the lighting cut-outs are now on all of the new Mk1's?

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2021 at 17:36, Bulleidboy100 said:

As this carriage has been produced with the cut-outs at interior roof level to enable lighting to be fitted, it's a pity that the power bogie that was on the R4607, R4609 and R4609A Mk1's with lights, does not appear to be available as a spare. Although there are a number of carriage lighting kits available, it would be so much easier to attach a power bogie and run a couple of wires up to a LED strip attached to the underside of the roof and take your lighting from the track. I assume(?) the lighting cut-outs are now on all of the new Mk1's?

The only Hornby Mk1s I have with lights have BR1 bogies. The RBs have Commonwealths, which may not have the necessary gubbins.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was seriously considering in getting one in maroon as part of my Scottish Railway Preservation Society Mk1 excursion set but it’s fitted with B1’s, instead of B4’s which the prototype has.  I’ve emailed Hornby to see if I can buy some B4’s as a spare part to put under it.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was seriously considering in getting one in maroon as part of my Scottish Railway Preservation Society Mk1 excursion set but it’s fitted with B1’s, instead of B4’s which the prototype has.  I’ve emailed Hornby to see if I can buy some B4’s as a spare part to put under it.

Good luck with spares. Try peters spares 

• Agree 1

I recently bought a green RB (S1765) and FO. The FO has a yellow cant rail stripe, but the RB out of the box does not have a red stripe, so I have just added them from some Fox Transfers red striping, which had to be cut in half to get the correct depth for the Mk 1. I was a little worried that the green base would show through the red, but the transfers actually have really good density, so all is well.

IMG20210217182127.jpg

IMG20210217182145.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Good luck with spares. Try peters spares 

Tried them and they don’t stock them, so I’ve sent a email to Hornby and still awaiting a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

The Hornby RB interior is a good effort, but what we've been given, is a buffet bar stuck in time, somewhere between the original build, and the later refurbished arrangement, the moulding is closer to the latter, but not quite right (but then it's not that obvious with the body on). A few pages back, I altered the bar inside my blue-grey example, to make it more accurate, as seen here:

20201224_152555.jpg.1d7a3b20c9b72db4ffc1d57e856c467e.jpg

I had also bought one each of the green and maroon cars, they required the buffet counter to be backdated to the original layout. Here below is the green RB as dismantled, and below that, the corrected arrangement, the black door was actually for passenger use, providing access to and from, the outside passenger door. The black door would be removed during refurbishment in the 1970s, and replaced with storage space and a new location for the till, leaving the outside door for staff use only.

Cheers, Brian.

20201218_174956.jpg.89febdcaa11bb1a00bce7046973dc897.jpg20210128_230604.jpg.d6dd7cc956574c7cadc2db54aa6b6753.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Following Kirby Uncoupler's refurbishment of a blue and grey RB there is a review of a blue and grey RB on page 306 of the April Railway Modeller.  I had always found that the Railway Modeller was reluctant to criticise models but the reviewer does mention that the blue shade perhaps looks a bit too dark. This is something the purchaser would find difficult to rectify.  The reviewer goes on to say that a token attempt has been made to represent the interior with a basic brown moulding which can be improved by detailing and painting and the addition of passenger figures. I also think that the addition of curtains would also be a huge improvement,

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if the Commonwealth bogies off the RB can be used under any of Hornby's recent spec MK1coaches (without modifications)? I have some with BR1 bogies and want to try Commonwealths. Unless I am mistaken only the RB's so far have them fitted from the factory by Hornby?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

Can anyone confirm if the Commonwealth bogies off the RB can be used under any of Hornby's recent spec MK1coaches (without modifications)? I have some with BR1 bogies and want to try Commonwealths. Unless I am mistaken only the RB's so far have them fitted from the factory by Hornby?

The Hogwarts coaches have the Commonwealth bogies. Can’t see why they wouldn’t be interchangeable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The Hogwarts coaches have the Commonwealth bogies. Can’t see why they wouldn’t be interchangeable. 

Thanks for the info, if they have them then you would think they are a standard interchangeable frame. It would be pretty crazy to make a frame just for the RB.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sanspareil said:

I think the commonwealth bogie first appeared with introduction of eastern region maroon FO and BFO

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Completely interchangeable. I’ve several RB running on BR1s and have 16 MK1s on commonwealth, that had BR1s. (I’ve bought various H MK1 in B+G with commonwealths for the bogies) 

Most, but not all, of the B+G were on commonwealth. 

Edited by miles73128
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder if anyone can help.

I can’t find my book on Mk1 coaches and think I must have lent it to someone but can’t for the life of me remember who. So could anyone let me who which numbers were allocated to the Eastern Region. The model is the maroon version.

Thanks in anticipation,

Robert

17 minutes ago, Right Away said:

It could just be the lighting, but could the roof “ribs” of the RB be more pronounced than on the earlier Mk1s (with lights version)?
Attached photo with a glimpse of a BSK for ref:

B7681628-84FA-486E-B68F-8F3465D11845.jpeg.0c7586d8de7046be010a7e9dac61e425.jpeg

Yes they are. I've chosen to remove the roof ribs off all my mk1s Bachmann and Hornby. Respraying the roofs with Matt 67 rattle can. Transforms the appearance.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2021 at 13:24, Erichill16 said:

I wonder if anyone can help.

I can’t find my book on Mk1 coaches and think I must have lent it to someone but can’t for the life of me remember who. So could anyone let me who which numbers were allocated to the Eastern Region. The model is the maroon version.

Thanks in anticipation,

Robert

There was definitely a batch allocated to the Eastern Region. I'll try to get some numbers.

Got them E1663-99. There were also a handful of SC deployments which could have worked south SC1658. -62 these deployments were circa 1960-2

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, davidw said:

Yes they are. I've chosen to remove the roof ribs off all my mk1s Bachmann and Hornby. Respraying the roofs with Matt 67 rattle can. Transforms the appearance.

Thank you for that, David; may I ask what method you used - emery cloth, craft knife etc. I’m a little uncertain of my ability to achieve the desired result without chopping off the odd ventilator, rain strip etc!

Prototypical Mk1 roof ribs could just be discernible beneath the sheeting; this issue with the roofs of the model versions has been well aired before. It is generally when earlier B and the current H renditions are compared to the later Bachy coaches that the roof ribs can be bothersome. 
Hornby are to be congratulated on their pre-Nationalisation coaching stock, absolutely wonderful models with intricate detail being very accurately rendered. For the non-Railroad Mk1 coaches is it not high time for a fresh look at an upgrade of tooling for those roofs? 

10 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Thank you for that, David; may I ask what method you used - emery cloth, craft knife etc. I’m a little uncertain of my ability to achieve the desired result without chopping off the odd ventilator, rain strip etc!

Prototypical Mk1 roof ribs could just be discernible beneath the sheeting; this issue with the roofs of the model versions has been well aired before. It is generally when earlier B and the current H renditions are compared to the later Bachy coaches that the roof ribs can be bothersome. 
Hornby are to be congratulated on their pre-Nationalisation coaching stock, absolutely wonderful models with intricate detail being very accurately rendered. For the non-Railroad Mk1 coaches is it not high time for a fresh look at an upgrade of tooling for those roofs? 

I used blades and files. It's fairly straightforward

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, davidw said:

There was definitely a batch allocated to the Eastern Region. I'll try to get some numbers.

Got them E1663-99. There were also a handful of SC deployments which could have worked south SC1658. -62 these deployments were circa 1960-2

Did some of those E s have Gresley Bogies? Sure one did.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1