Hornby 2020 range mk1 RB

davidw

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Did some of those E s have Gresley Bogies? Sure one did.

I think that was the mk1 RU. As modelled by Bachmann. I'll check with parkin when I get home on Tuesday.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

We have stripped and repainted a Blue Grey RB to get decent colours to match Bachmann. Which leaves us staring at the windows wondering how to repaint the frames. Anyone got ideas please?

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

We have stripped and repainted a Blue Grey RB to get decent colours to match Bachmann. Which leaves us staring at the windows wondering how to repaint the frames. Anyone got ideas please?

Bow pen and or maskol with a lot of patience?

• Agree 1

Silver paint marker pen for aluminium window frames?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274339879186?

C2820697-700D-445B-BFFE-BA85E82455C9.jpeg.bc71e4eec07232d985b0623881ddb79f.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Metallic-Colour-Silver-Permanent/dp/B00PCKKUDA/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00PCKKUDA&psc=1

I have used these and similar to paint in the pipes, etc in loco cabs…

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Silver paint marker pen for aluminium window frames?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274339879186?

C2820697-700D-445B-BFFE-BA85E82455C9.jpeg.bc71e4eec07232d985b0623881ddb79f.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Metallic-Colour-Silver-Permanent/dp/B00PCKKUDA/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B00PCKKUDA&psc=1

I have used these and similar to paint in the pipes, etc in loco cabs…

Definitely a good way to go. I have done likewise with loco pipework, and also with the window frames on a Bratchell class 455 unit using a silver Sharpie pen. The silver is reasonably hard-wearing, but won't stand too much direct handling unless varnished.

41469293771_16f99e1ae1_k.jpg
Painting the Window Frames - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/07/2021 at 20:09, Phil Bullock said:

I have found you can paint on Hornby glass and then when the paint is hard you can srape the surplus off with various scraps of plasticard. Provided you use a plastic which is softer than the glazing it will come out scratch free.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2021 at 13:50, Mallard60022 said:

Did some of those E s have Gresley Bogies? Sure one did.

I have a Bachmann blue/grey RU with Gresley bogies, numbered as E1938, product reference 39-100.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A day for finishing projects! This one is a blue grey RB …. Started off life as a green one, now a complete blue grey respray and retransfer - brass grab rails and door handles too. Colours not a perfect match for Bachmann but easier to live with than Hornby blue/grey . Respray at front, then Hornby blue/grey then Bachmann at rear. And nice coupling to Bachmann with hunt magnetic couplings… 

133BAD70-4AB6-4635-A641-03539C0DEF2C.jpeg

0362D5A7-0AC8-41D8-B674-1698EB35352B.jpeg

3A6A9D6A-1798-4CDA-A19B-A62B17DF1004.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2021 at 19:29, davidw said:

Nope.

So bombed out and got the cheapest Blue/grey RBR we could find and cannibalised the glazing … swapped the white door window for a clear one to back date to RB 

9E7F5063-F8C8-4B2D-AEB5-2B7E459FE25B.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And nice coupling to Bachmann with hunt magnetic couplings… 

Phil - interesting to see you using hunt magnetic couplings. How strong are they? I am currently building some Comet coaches (albeit very slowly as it is my first attempt) destined for a fixed rake, and was wondering whether to try some sort of magnetic coupling concealed within the gangways. Probably a mad idea as I suspect the need for significant flexibility to go around curves will mean it wouldn't work. But the strength of the magnetic coupling would also be a critical success factor. 

54 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Phil - interesting to see you using hunt magnetic couplings. How strong are they? I am currently building some Comet coaches (albeit very slowly as it is my first attempt) destined for a fixed rake, and was wondering whether to try some sort of magnetic coupling concealed within the gangways. Probably a mad idea as I suspect the need for significant flexibility to go around curves will mean it wouldn't work. But the strength of the magnetic coupling would also be a critical success factor. 

I have used a couple of opposed pole micro magnets set into the buffing plates of a Midland Pullman set; (the plates are mounted on close-coupling units).

The results are very good, especially as the unit has a motored power car at each end.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Trials to date have been very good …. 8 coach warship hauled trains on Kato track on the uneven patio… not an unwonted slip portion to be seen.

Further trial can await the new layout with 10 coaches on 1 in 75 … :)

• Thanks 1