Rialway Modeller May difficult to obtain?

Stevelewis

I just  spoke  to   Tim  at  Arcadiarail on the  phone!  to  ask  if  he  had  the  May  RM, but  he  advised  that  he would not be   getting  any as Peco had  decided not  to  distribute to  the  model shops as they were closed,,  They would be  going  to  the  Supermarkets  etc  and WHS etc.

Tim  would  have  posted   a copy to me  if  he  had  them.

I don't  feel inclined  to  go  to  my  local  Tesco  at  the  moment  and  both  nearest WHS  are  also closed  so it looks  as though  I will have  to  give  it  a  miss:mellow:  I suppose I should  take  out  a  subscription,  but  SWMBO  tells  me  off  for  too many other  mags dropping  through the  door! 

Available from Sainsburys, or at least in Penzance it is. 
I had my copy delivered by one of the Village 'runners'* today. 
*Runners, for us oldies, the youth are doing 'essential' shopping,
collecting perscriptions, etc.,

One of the local lads (OK an Oldie) in lockdown,
who has started an interest in railway modelling wanted a 

recommendation of a magazine to see what's happening in the hobby,
I recommended the RM, because every month there seems to be

a wide selection of layouts illustrated, so that hopefully he can see 

something that might suite him, though the the plan of Helston

with not a single point on it seems a bit basic :jester:
My essential magazine is MRJ, but they don't have that in Sainsburys.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Available from Sainsburys, or at least in Penzance it is. 

And in Huddersfield this morning too when I was out shopping for 'essential' items.

• Like 1

Walked into my local convenience shop today and there it was on the shelf; two of them in fact.

Actually bought a copy as something to read whilst on furlough. Might have bought other titles but shop only ever has RM. Managed to resist the classic car mags so far!

steve

• Like 1

Hmm. Tried PECOs website and you can put them in your basket.

But this page is a bit conflicting. In that they can take orders but not for subscriptions. Whereas on another page they are saying they aren't taking any orders.

https://peco-uk.com/blogs/industry-news/railway-modeller-availability

Anyone tried purchasing one?

Jason

2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Plenty of copies of the May issue in my local ASDA today.

Snag  is   its  actually  getting  into  the  stores    Both  local  Asda  &  Tesco  have  had  extensive   queing  times to   enter  the  stores  due  to restricted numbers being  allowed on  the  premises  at  any  time,  currently  my local  Tesco  has  a  50 minute  wait  to  get  in, and  being  of  a  certain  age  feel it  best  to  stay  away!  

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Stevelewis said:

Snag  is   its  actually  getting  into  the  stores    Both  local  Asda  &  Tesco  have  had  extensive   queing  times to   enter  the  stores  due  to restricted numbers being  allowed on  the  premises  at  any  time,  currently  my local  Tesco  has  a  50 minute  wait  to  get  in, and  being  of  a  certain  age  feel it  best  to  stay  away!  

Why not buy when you do the rest of the food shop? It's always fascinated me the number of people who only venture out of the house to buy a magazine. We see it all the time in similar topics when they insist the bus fair to Smiffs should be added to the cover price effectivly. Am I weird in doing several jobs on one trip out? 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Why not buy when you do the rest of the food shop? It's always fascinated me the number of people who only venture out of the house to buy a magazine. We see it all the time in similar topics when they insist the bus fair to Smiffs should be added to the cover price effectivly. Am I weird in doing several jobs on one trip out? 

In normal times I could do that. The local Co-op stocks the Modeller but we also have a brilliant local newsagent which stocks a whole range of railway magazines so I always try to buy from them. The walk into town adds to my attempts to keep fit. The newsagents are worth their weight in gold during lockdown as they deliver not only the morning papers (Guardian) but both Continental and Railway Modellers. They also have recently taken over the ironmongers/diy shop and will within reason deliver stuff from that shop and put it on the same tab as the papers.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I cannot conceive of any UK police officers seriously thinking that anyone who has bought a copy of a magazine or other non-food item from a supermarket, along with their weekly food shop, can be guilty of any misdemeanor whatsoever.

I would agree that going out specially to buy a 'non-essential item' might result in some kind of criticism or 'guidance' from the police, but certainly not if the main objective of the trip out was to obtain essential food or medical supplies.

Indeed, BBC TV news has just mentioned (as I type!) that Northamptonshire Police have since clarified their earlier comments to the effect that they will not be seeking to challenge shoppers.

I picked up a copy of the May RM from my local Tesco yesterday, in fact. There was a queue to get in, it looked quite long, but within 5 minutes of queuing, I was at the front of the queue and was then admitted almost immediately.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I cannot conceive of any UK police officers seriously thinking that anyone who has bought a copy of a magazine or other non-food item from a supermarket, along with their weekly food shop, can be guilty of any misdemeanor whatsoever.

I would agree that going out specially to buy a 'non-essential item' might result in some kind of criticism or 'guidance' from the police, but certainly not if the main objective of the trip out was to obtain essential food or medical supplies.

Indeed, BBC TV news has just mentioned (as I type!) that Northamptonshire Police have since clarified their earlier comments to the effect that they will not be seeking to challenge shoppers.

I picked up a copy of the May RM from my local Tesco yesterday, in fact. There was a queue to get in, it looked quite long, but within 5 minutes of queuing, I was at the front of the queue and was then admitted almost immediately.

Funnily enough it's just been on the news that a police officer has been disciplined due to over exuberant policing in Tesco in Cambridge.

Probably a "plastic policeman" Community Support Officer or whatever they call them now.

Official stance is this.

Downing Street says people are allowed to buy whatever they want from shops that remain open, after concerns that police are overstepping lockdown powers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52245937

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It is a bit daft though to expose yourself possible contact with this virus just to get a magazine ;) Sainsbury’s had it as I got stuff for work on the way in so I grabbed a copy. 
I’d love to pop out and grab the bits I need for various projects and even stuff I want to cook but I’m not trailing round three or four shops to get one jar or mag with this nasty thing making that amount of extra contact rather stupid. If it ain’t in the supermarket it can wait till next week and hopefully it’ll be there. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Have not received my May issue here in the GWN (Canada), so decided to view it via the web as made available from my subscription.  Photos are supurb.  Text a bit small and cannot modify and cannot print out multiple pages to read at the breakfast table.  I am a bit of a Luddite and only have a desktop.

Personally  I  only  buy  the  RM  when  shopping  in  Tesco,   However  as  currently I am  resisting  going  into  any  shops   at  all  9  Days now  since  I  did,  there  is no  way  I  would  consider  going in for  a  magazine!

My almost  unbroken record  perhaps   of  buying   RM  since  the late  50s  when  it  was  around  1/6d  should  remain unbroken  as  I have  May's  copy  winging  its  way to my in  the  post!!

Whoops  given  my  age  away now:P

23 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Blimey, just as well, I was thinking of excuses for the chainsaw and MIG welder I picked-up at Lidl with my bread & milk.

jh

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Blimey, just as well, I was thinking of excuses for the chainsaw and MIG welder I picked-up at Lidl with my bread & milk.

John, you may have hit on a new thread idea - what is the most un-necessary/weirdest item you could pick up as part of a supply run? I can't top that but it will be bugging me for the day :scratchhead:

• Funny 1