platform lighting

daryll

• RMweb Premium

Well after a long time I am ready to build Minories  based in south London in the 50`60 , so what sort of platform lighting was there in this era , and link`s  to any manufactures that have these 

Cheers

Daryll

This type was extremely common throughout the 70s & 80s. I have recently seen photos taken in the early 60s with these lamps on the station. I am not sure if they date back to the 50s.

The problem is nobody makes a decent representation of it, which is a shame because they were just about everywhere for many years. This is my recent 1st attempt at 3d printing it. Being such a close-up photo really highlights the flaws, but I will have a go at refining it in time.

station lamp.jpg

You haven't mentioned the scale you're building in... But for OO then...

Southern Region then these were used a lot in the 1950's/1960's  Link to example

The type shown above contain fluorescent tubes and were very common in the 1970's onwards where platforms where lighting was upgraded.

11 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

This type was extremely common throughout the 70s & 80s. I have recently seen photos taken in the early 60s with these lamps on the station. I am not sure if they date back to the 50s.

The problem is nobody makes a decent representation of it, which is a shame because they were just about everywhere for many years. This is my recent 1st attempt at 3d printing it. Being such a close-up photo really highlights the flaws, but I will have a go at refining it in time.

station lamp.jpg

That looks good. If you print in natural colour, 3 deep outline and set infill to 10%, you should be able to insert and illuminate with a pre wired smd.

On 10/04/2020 at 09:59, letterspider said:

That looks good. If you print in natural colour, 3 deep outline and set infill to 10%, you should be able to insert and illuminate with a pre wired smd.

I have no idea what the bold part means. Maybe it means something for 'traditional' 3d printing.

I have printed it in 405nm clear resin. The intention is to try & light it from below, but I have not tried this yet.

12 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Which printer?

Anycubic Photon.

I have not had it very long & not printed very much with it either, so there may well be some tips, tricks & settings I simply do not know about yet.

On 10/04/2020 at 09:39, Brian said:

The type shown above contain fluorescent tubes and were very common in the 1970's onwards where platforms where lighting was upgraded.

I always remember thinking they looked very 70s. then lasted until c1990 when 2-diameter tubular metal posts started to replace them.

I recently saw a video uploaded to youtube about the Witham to Maldon brach. Photos & still of Witham in 1963-64 has this type on the platform. I didn't realise the design was that old.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I recently saw a video uploaded to youtube about the Witham to Maldon brach. Photos & still of Witham in 1963-64 has this type on the platform. I didn't realise the design was that old.

Coventry had them when it was rebuilt in 1962.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...

I've been trying to find a solution to creating a standard concrete type BR station lamp for some time. I have now managed to create one by dissecting and re-wiring a Woodland Scenics model. The new lamp shade was made from brass wire, the trim of a plastic takeaway carton with Fox transfer lettering applied.1196433007_IMG_0494a(4).JPG.e85c4b60cc09937ce66e40c058a4005e.JPG1176176826_IMG_0500a(1).JPG.51b64660bbfb549f31342783e5b82701.JPG

• Like 1