German online model sites becoming more competitive?

NoelG

About two years ago I started experimenting with some German online model sites and amazon.de, in anticipation of possible brexit issues and also because for certain items the euro price in Germany is generally better than UK online retailers, however buying in EU land in the past had generally meant significantly higher postage costs than UK which can negate the lower prices, but the sands seem to be shifting in that respect. For example, last Tuesday I ordered some ESU hardware from ModdleBahnShop-Lippe and it arrived here this morning by UPS, shipping cost was only €3.90. Once you switch to english language on these sites they are as easy to use as UK ones, and you don't get hammered with currency conversion rip offs. Could it be bye bye UK, hello Germany?  So far Hattons remain an exception in the uk mainly due to their aggressive pricing and low postage costs, but there is still the currency conversion cost. Since about 2017 I've ordered most of my DCC gear, decoders, etc, direct from Germany. Pricing and delivery so far has proven good. I also use Marks Models locally for online purchases of modelling hardware, MM rolling stock, etc. Marks do a good service but shipping can be expensive if buying just one or two small inexpensive items. ID models online store in Kilcoole ship post free in Ireland and carry a decent range of model paints and tools, etc. ID have a very fast turnaround. I've ordered Tamiya paints that arrived the following day. I've probably only been inside a physical model shop twice in the past 10 years. Online is so much easier and prices are generally better from the online warehouses (ie no driving, parking, walking, etc). Things are changing. During this CV19 period we have had home delivery for 100% including grocery shopping and household goods.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Keiskemper were very honourable when they made a slight boo-boo shipping me slightly incorrect decoder versions, they said you hang on to those, we'll ship you the correct ones at no extra cost. Ended up with four extra decoders.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1