Port Solway - Edwardian Era NER & M&CR

Geordie Nigel

• RMweb Premium

What a stunning layout, beautifully imagined and produced, and very authentic looking.

I came accross it via the film of the Workington show by Ian Blenk on his South Gallions topic here:  South Gallions, Sarf of the river

On 12/05/2020 at 17:39, Geordie Nigel said:

The scenic section is 20' long with a 6' fiddle yard at each end giving a total length of about 32'.  The plan is as seen from the viewing side.  Unfortunately I cannot get the file to show a preview but hopefully it will download.

I've dowloaded your trackplan and converted it to a .jpeg, would you like me to upload it here?

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment.  The layout is a team effort by a section of the Newcastle & District MRS.  The cottages by the level crossing were built by Ian Blenk.

If you could post the track plan that would be great.

Edited by Geordie Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Will do.

Do you have any more photos please?  Or can they be seen elsewhere on the web? 

I'm particularly interested to see the three-way point on the level crossing, and your level crossing gate mechanism.

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT

The gates are manually operated (i.e. can be pushed with fingers and that is it for the moment).  Because the level crossing goes across the three-way turnout, there are a lot of wires underneath in that area associated with the (track) crossings [frogs] and (track) switches [point blades] and this would make retro-fitting a motorised or even mechanical mechanism less than straight forward.

When the layout was first built there was no plan to make the gates work as it was felt that we would be forever operating them or would never close them to trains.  That they can be pushed open or closed is a bonus!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Superb stuff!  and thanks very much for the extra photos.

The three-way point is an absolute gem, and combining it with then level crossing must create a strong visual focal point.

I was thinking I was going to have to build a three-way myself, but my mind boggled with the thought of the wiring.

Many thanks,

Dave.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...