I am planning a layout with a similar scene to this, with a station in a walled "cutting" lower than street level. I think the walls work well for hiding the fiddle yard which in my case will be parallel to the station in the circuit.

Are there any real life stations anybody knows of that are like this? Nearest I can think of are the sub surface underground lines. Especially a larger station (mine is going to have more platforms if I build it). Whilst I have had some good ideas based on this layout to improve my design I am struggling for real world inspiration! I suppose the just outside Paddington is a bit like that.

Any in the north anybody knows about? Sorry I aren't that well travelled on different lines so my knowledge isn't great here

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am planning a layout with a similar scene to this, with a station in a walled "cutting" lower than street level. I think the walls work well for hiding the fiddle yard which in my case will be parallel to the station in the circuit.

Are there any real life stations anybody knows of that are like this? Nearest I can think of are the sub surface underground lines. Especially a larger station (mine is going to have more platforms if I build it). Whilst I have had some good ideas based on this layout to improve my design I am struggling for real world inspiration!

A lot of my inspiration for CN came from JackB95 and his station layout as seen on page 1 of this thread. People have mentioned in the past Wigan Wallgate, although that’s not a station I know myself. Steps down to an Island platform is very much a feature of Halifax Station. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dicky L said:

Today’s photos are  of 144007 approaching the station passing the empty DMU sidings and then seen again at platform 2

849A2E53-F5E0-4961-AE6E-AE2D65953D1E.jpeg

3279CB6A-7EEE-451D-B873-C09EAA25728A.jpeg

More you look at these pictures the more the detailing you see:locomotive::good:

• Like 1