Milk tank loading dock

My layout includes a branch line worked by an auto coach, which I want to extend to a simple terminus. This would include a small country creamery where milk would be transferred from churns delivered by road, after processing, to a milk tank wagon. Does anyone know of an existing creamery, or photos of one, that would serve as a prototype please?

Hemyock and Torrington had milk facilities which remained after passenger services were withdrawn.

Wotton Bassett near Swindon had a large milk facility so they may be worth Googling.  Milk processing and the use of tanks was a fairly late feature, thinking 1930s as previously milk in churns was the preferred mode of transport often in those GW Syphons and the like with huge gaps in the framing  Nothing stinks like spilled milk, Its worse than cow droppings.  My local MSWJR line ran a milk train every day Sundays included to collect milk churns for onward distribution to London etc up until the  non rail connected creamery at Latton took much of the traffic, 

Edited by DavidCBroad
Tpyo

• RMweb Gold

Bason Bridge on the S&D was a relatively small creamy and the loading arrangements stretched across the single track line, with tanker filling pipework straddling the tracks.. There is a rather uninteresting face-on view, about a dozen photos down, here http://www.newman-family-tree.net/S&D/. There are a couple more in the Middleton Press 'Burnham to Evercreech Junction. As well as milk there were other dairy products shipped from there - butter, cheeses and cream.

Good luck with your layout.

PS there has been a fairly extensive thread here on rmweb about milk tanks and dairy facilities, if you can track it down.

Edited by phil_sutters

Scalescenes published a "free" Creamery kit in the March 2019 of Hornby magazine.  I got the electronic back issue from Pocketmags and I built it in 7mm scale.  Obviously the kit is intended for 4mm:

P1010120.JPG.def5e749b6252505d0a31f5585f64cb5.JPG

If you don't want a large building, I recall seeing a picture of a road milk tank on a loading dock with a portable pump.  This would be used I imagine for loading/unloading a rail milk tank.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 months later...

The smallest rail-served creamery that handled milk tanks I can think of would probably be CWS Wallingford. This was a pretty diminutive place that only dispatched one tanker per day.  This shot is taken from the road-side but plans for the building have been reproduced in one of the Wild Swan books.

RAS1091-wallingford-The-CWS-Creamery-on-

As you can see, its a fairly anonymous northlight building. Carl Wood based the creamery on his excellent "Vale of Oxbury" layout on these plans.

45718309261_47bfab96ae.jpg

• Like 3