Rendered finish on card models

• RMweb Gold

You might try matt varnish, not water based, and then some people use textured tissues with a thin mix of plaster painted on. The advantage of plaster is it looks like stone when painted with thin washes. It does also depend on the quality of card you use.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

No problem with painting card. I usually prime it first (with Halfords grey aerosol) then top coat with a hobby acrylic. Then seal with an acrylic matt varnish (also from an aerosol). I've never experienced soggy card.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Emulsion paints, from them little test pots, and  a sprinkle of talc give a good effect in the smaller scales.

Or textured sandstone exterior type paint or fine sand sifted over paint for a rougher finish.

Never had emulsion make card go soggy, or any of the acres of wallpaper I must have painted with the same stuff.

• Informative/Useful 1

Depending on the card, you can try to peel the top layer off - slide a blade into a corner and see if it peels off. like peeling the backing off of a sticker except that you want to keep the backing part rather than the top.

If done carefully the undersurface that results is rough and similar to render. I use thin card for this and glue it to a thicker backing then paint.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Always always prime card with "Knotting Solution" by Colron-it almost  takes on the consistency of plywood and you can do almost anything with it! For render, yes, try fine sand, "textured" paint or even white pepper.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I used a texture stone spray before overpainting with acrylics to get a rough cast concrete finish in this building, which is largely made of mountboard.gallery_681_3268_79788.jpggallery_681_3268_84282.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/04/2020 at 06:06, Tim Chambers said:

Always always prime card with "Knotting Solution" by Colron-it almost  takes on the consistency of plywood and you can do almost anything with it! 

Hi Tim,

Do you prime card parts before or after assembling the parts? Does the solution/shellac affect the glued joints at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good success painting with a thinnish (double cream consistency) mix of powdered wall filler straight onto the card, followed by painting with acrylics once dry. To avoid warping, I put it under something heavy whilst still damp (but not wet). 

• 3 months later...