Now that Argonne Forest is finish, and currently working from home. I've got the itch to build another a micro, based on the Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory Railway in Keynsham.

The plan scene will feature the iconic road crossing just outside Keynsham Station, where the line crossed from factory (via a narrow cutting) onto the GWR mainline. 

So far the basic landforms have been cut and shaped, check-rails test fitted and the Blocksignalling Shuttle System wired up and tested. Pleased to say it works, with the recently completed Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel looking right at home! 
This is the first layout I've built that is based on a real location, so should be an interesting challenge. I don't plan it to be 100% accurate to the real thing, but give a very close representation of the scene.

FB_IMG_1586635763613.jpg

FB_IMG_1586635766399.jpg

FB_IMG_1586635769054.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Welcome to Update 1 on a new and exciting micro layout build, based on the entrance to the Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory in Keynsham. 
Spurred on recent build of the Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel, the planned scene will feature the iconic road crossing just outside Keynsham Station, where the line crossed from factory (via a narrow cutting) onto the GWR mainline. This is the first layout I've built that is based on a real location, so should be an interesting challenge. I don't plan it to be 100% accurate, but give a very close representation of the scene.
In this update, we take a look at the plans for the layout, including baseboard construction, start of the landscaping and shuttle system test run.
I hope to bring you lots more updates on the progress of the layout over the coming weeks.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

Will be following closely, very closely...

Until the current news dragged me back to my parent's house, I'd been living and working in Keynsham since August and have had a poke around the area quite a lot. Since the factory has been redeveloped into office/housing space and the station car park has been built the old crossing has all but disappeared, although the route into the factory is still a footpath.

The sentinel also looks the part, having been close to the real thing as a volunteer on the Avon Valley Railway where it's been restored recently.

I'm looking forward to what you make of this! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Will be following closely, very closely...

Until the current news dragged me back to my parent's house, I'd been living and working in Keynsham since August and have had a poke around the area quite a lot. Since the factory has been redeveloped into office/housing space and the station car park has been built the old crossing has all but disappeared, although the route into the factory is still a footpath.

The sentinel also looks the part, having been close to the real thing as a volunteer on the Avon Valley Railway where it's been restored recently.

I'm looking forward to what you make of this! 

Many thanks indeed! It's all a bit of a shame really, as the gate was only removed last year! Glad you like the Sentinel! The team at AVR really have done a superb job with the real thing! Hopefully we'll get to see her again soon. :)

More progress to follow! 

11 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum a great 1st update video, thanks for the link to the Block signalling shuttle system and how to set it up. I’m definitely adding one of these to a small piece of test track.:)

No worries, glad you found it of interest. Really is a handle little unit :)

• Like 1

Backscenes added to Fry's Somerdale, was a bit of a pain, but got there in the end. 
The backscene is made up of a mixture of a spare Gaugemaster country backscene, which I had to hand and my own pictures; same as the ones I've used on Amiens and Argonne Forest, to create the deep forest and road effect. It's a bit of mix match at the moment, but will hopefully look the part once the foliage is added. 
As well as the backscenes, I've applied a base coat to the landforms, plus set up a little test wall, just to give an me an idea of what it will all look like. 
Next step it to pin down and ballast the track.

FB_IMG_1586886161489.jpg

FB_IMG_1586886158806.jpg

FB_IMG_1586886156002.jpg

FB_IMG_1586886153435.jpg

FB_IMG_1586886166388.jpg

FB_IMG_1586886163708.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Very nice,  I really like the sense of depth you have created. 

Jerry. 

Many thanks! Hopefully it will work out when the roads in place ;)

6 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Nice work Callum, the scenery background looks great.

Thanks Kevin! Bit of a patch work, but will hopefully provide a good backing for the woodland area :)

Progress from the past few evenings on Fry's Somerdale.
First up, the track has been ballasted and weathered. I've used Humbrol 70 Red Brick on the rails and chairs, with a Woodland Scenics track tie paint pen used on the sleeps. I've also added the check rails, two on the crossing, and one that was installed on the inside of the sharp curve out of the station.
I've also created the start of the road and car park, using an old cereal box and Green Scenics Texted Paint. This will be weathered with powders to match the backscene. I've also cut some extra strips to create the raised pavements. 
More progress coming soon!

FB_IMG_1586977599636.jpg

FB_IMG_1586977607716.jpg

FB_IMG_1586977604880.jpg

FB_IMG_1586977602366.jpg

FB_IMG_1586977597261.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Nice work Callum really enjoying your build.

5 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

It's certainly looking the part; the backscene with the road dissappearing around the corner is spot on, and the trackwork looks very tidy. I can only suggest that the road should be a bit steeper, having cycled up and down it many times!

Many thanks indeed! Currently working on the road hight so hope to sort that soon. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is all looking very nice. I'm really taken with the Sentinel, Callum.  

Off to Hardy Hobbies to have a look...

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

This is all looking very nice. I'm really taken with the Sentinel, Callum.  

Off to Hardy Hobbies to have a look...

Rob. 

Many thanks Rob! Is certainly a superb little kit! Highly recommend! 

Callum

Welcome to the second installment on Fry's Somerdale, my latest 00 Gauge Micro Layout project.
Over the past few days there's been plenty of progress on the layout with the  addition of the base scene, ballasting and start of the road, which the railway  once crossed before entering Somerdale Site. In this update we closer look at how these details were achieved and the materials used, as well as going through a number of new modelling items that will bring the scene to life, plus much more.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 19:33, 4wDH said:

Evening Callum. I like to follow your layout builds as they give new railway modellers like me plenty of tips.

Your latest build project is one I will be following with great interest.

Many thanks indeed! Glad your enjoying the progress! More coming soon

Roads weathered with a mixture of Humbrol Weathering powders. Got to admit, it really does blend well with the back scene. Once I was happy, the road sections where glued into position, before the rails on the crossing were masked off and filled with the same Green Scenics textured paint. 
Next task, gates and the walls!

FB_IMG_1587583458263.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583460681.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583463549.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583466068.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583468919.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583471737.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583477223.jpg

FB_IMG_1587583474601.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The iconic Fry's Somerdale gateway is starting to take shape! The walls have been shaped, and the template for the pilers created. The gates are Ratio GWR Spear Fencing Gates, which are very similar to those used. The cutting beyond the wall has also been built up using polystyrene sheets.
The wooden gates on the other side of the crossing have also been installed. I found the Ratio GWR Wooden Fencing to be a good match.
I've also finished off the crossing, by infilling the rails with more of the Green Scenics Textured Paint.
Very pleased with how it's looking so far.

FB_IMG_1587673230024.jpg

FB_IMG_1587673232455.jpg

FB_IMG_1587673234888.jpg

FB_IMG_1587673227516.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

More progress on Fry's Somerdale.
Landforms have been covered with the signature mud effect, ready for the scenics to be added. Once dry, the telegraph pole and working street lamp (which still needs to be wired) were added to the right side of the crossing. The weathering of the road and crossing has also been finished and sealed. 
With the progress made, I couldn't resist posing Fry's Sentinel on the crossing :)

FB_IMG_1587749333335.jpg

FB_IMG_1587749335887.jpg

FB_IMG_1587749338395.jpg

FB_IMG_1587749343379.jpg

FB_IMG_1587749345880.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1