Welcome to the fourth instalment on Fry's Somerdale, my latest 00 Gauge Micro Layout project.
Over the past few days I've been really focusing on the scenery, with the start of the ground cover and foliage being put into place. Details such as fencing, telegraph pole and crossing gates have also been put into position. Work has also continued on the iconic gateway, with the two gate posts starting to take shape. Finally we take a closer look at the lighting, which has been wired in and ready for testing! 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 7

On 03/05/2020 at 11:31, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum the night scene with the illuminated street light looks great. Nice work.:good_mini:

Many thanks indeed! Really pleased it! Just got to do some night running now ;)

The ground cover and trees added to the other side of the cutting. Got to admit, it was a bit of a challenge to get down in the cutting itself, but feel I got there in the end. 
Coping stones have also been added to the top of the walls, before being blended in with more foliage. The exposed polystyrene on the front of the layout has also been covered, with the gaps between this and the scenic areas (such as the road) filled, ready for painting black.
More weathering and detailing to do, including finishing off the iconic gate posts, entering the Fry's site.

FB_IMG_1588880382016.jpg

FB_IMG_1588880373427.jpg

FB_IMG_1588880370792.jpg

FB_IMG_1588880368094.jpg

FB_IMG_1588880365734.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The final quart of the layout has been detailed, with the edition of the two billboards next to the car park. These have been once again blended in with trees and foliage, including in areas which can not be seen from the viewing side.
The gaps between the road and walls have been filled and weathered, followed by the walls receiving a coat of weathering powders. These will sealed when the Matt varnish arrives, along with th gate posts. 
Finally, I managed to extend the scenic section into the fiddle yard on the Keynsham Station side, much better than the exposed blank area. 
It's now onto the little details such as figures and vehicles next, plus a spot of painting to the newly applied trim... Fingers crossed it all works!

FB_IMG_1588958379862.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958377294.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958374701.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958372537.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958370121.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958385242.jpg

FB_IMG_1588958382445.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well done from me too Callum, You've done a fantastic job of blending the backscene and disguising the exits to the layout, you really do have to look hard to notice them. 

• Thanks 1

British Rail Class 22 emerges from Fry's Somerdale with a rake of load vans ready for distribution...
A few quick pictures taken the morning during a photoshoot. Very pleased with how the layouts turned out! Still a few things glue and seal a few, before giving the track a good  clean, ready for it's first proper run (fingers crossed). Sadly the 22 is to large for the shuttle system, but certainly looks the part!

FB_IMG_1589059000190.jpg

FB_IMG_1589058997557.jpg

FB_IMG_1589058994963.jpg

FB_IMG_1589058991753.jpg

FB_IMG_1589058989408.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff, Callum. 

Lovely little 'cameo'. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2020 at 02:33, Jeff P said:

So well done, Callum.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! 

On 09/05/2020 at 05:53, sb67 said:

Well done from me too Callum, You've done a fantastic job of blending the backscene and disguising the exits to the layout, you really do have to look hard to notice them. 

Many thanks indeed! Glad you like it! So pleased with how that effect has turned out :)

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Top stuff, Callum. 

Lovely little 'cameo'. 

Rob. 

Many thanks indeed Rob! Hopefully when all gets back to normal we'll get it out on the circuit :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks indeed Rob! Hopefully when all gets back to normal we'll get it out on the circuit :) 

Yes, it will be good to catch up and see this little chap. 

Out of interest, whose S&D transfers did you use for the Peckett? 

You've got me thinking.......

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, col.stephens said:

Brilliant job Callum. 

Terry

Many thanks Terry

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Yes, it will be good to catch up and see this little chap. 

Out of interest, whose S&D transfers did you use for the Peckett? 

You've got me thinking.......

Rob. 

Indeed. Hopefully once day. As for the SDJR Peckett the Transfers are from HMRS, really are superb. 

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Welcome to the fifth installment on Fry's Somerdale, my latest 00 Gauge Micro Layout project, with the layout nearing completion.
Once again over the past few days I've been really focusing on the finishing scenery, continuing from where I left off, thanks to the arrival of some more Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage. This has been used to great effect to build up the wooded area, along with the tree arch over the railway, as well as blending in the bill boards near the car park. The iconic gateway has also been completed, with the two gate posts receiving a final coat of weathering and gates glued into position. We also take a closer look at some special custom figures, including some familiar faces, from the likes of Hardy's Hobbies and ModelU, as well as a selection of diecast vehicles which will populate the scene. Finally we put the layout through it paces with it's first ever running session, featuring the model that started it all, as well as a new addition to the fleet...
I hope you've enjoyed the construction of this layout over the past few weeks, and I plan to bring you more updates and running sessions in the not too distant future. You never know, when normality returns you might see Fry's Somerdale on the exhibition circuit!

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

From the ground level angle the transition to staging is flawless...I'm still amazed with the roadway to backscene transition. I like shunting locomotives...that Class 08 is all business.

Jeff

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Jeff P said:

From the ground level angle the transition to staging is flawless...I'm still amazed with the roadway to backscene transition. I like shunting locomotives...that Class 08 is all business.

Jeff

Many thanks indeed Jeff! So glad you like the effect. Honestly still can't believe it myself how that turned out. :)

I've really enjoyed the YouTube updates, and as many others have said I'm very much looking forward to seeing it at an exhibition before too long. The blending of the road into the backscene is perfect. Hope to see more of your work on here in the future.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, josh_will said:

I've really enjoyed the YouTube updates, and as many others have said I'm very much looking forward to seeing it at an exhibition before too long. The blending of the road into the backscene is perfect. Hope to see more of your work on here in the future.

Many thanks indeed Josh! Fingers crossed. Glad you like it! Still can't believe how well that effect turned out. Few more little details to add, but on a whole very, very happy with it. :)

A short running session on 00 Micro Layout - Fry's Somerdale featuring Bachmann British Rail Class 08, which has been renumbered to regular visit 08935 and weathered using Humbrol Weathering Powders. 
Here we see 08935 shunting deliveries into the Somerdale site, before returning with load vans of produce.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session on 00 Micro Layout - Fry's Somerdale featuring my kit build Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel. 
The model is based on the same design of Sentinel locomotive that was used at the Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory in Keynsham, which was recently restored to full working order on the Avon Valley Railway, near Bristol in 2019, turned out in Fry's Royal Blue with Gold Leaf insignia. Constructed from the new 3D Printed Body Kit from Hardy's Hobbies, the model fits directly onto a Hornby Ruston chassis, with no modification necessary.
In this video we see the Sentinel shunting deliveries into the Somerdale site, before returning with load vans of produce.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Whilst at Keynsham Station earlier I took the opportunity take a few pictures of the old Fry's Somerdale crossing to compare to my layout. It's a bit hard to get some of the angles, due to the landscape on the station side being built up and the Somerdale side being flattened and widened. 

FB_IMG_1595774370290.jpg

FB_IMG_1595774373150.jpg

FB_IMG_1595774376021.jpg

FB_IMG_1595774378485.jpg

FB_IMG_1595774381522.jpg

FB_IMG_1595774384880.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1