It's certainly different now, isn't it! I love your comparison photos - they're nicely framed and lined up, and very sharp. Even if they make me wish I was still there (I was doing my university year-out placement with a company in the area until lockdown)! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I can't say what they've done is an improvement. The original gate and posts were iconic...and I'm sure could have been retained and achieved the necessary paths etc.

Agreed, I think the reasoning being it is it give more view to drivers for people walking out into the road or something like that. Elf and Safety. Really is a shame

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

It's certainly different now, isn't it! I love your comparison photos - they're nicely framed and lined up, and very sharp. Even if they make me wish I was still there (I was doing my university year-out placement with a company in the area until lockdown)! 

Really is indeed. Hope to do a few more shots like this, hopefully improving on these  ;)

• Like 1

Following yesterdays post on comparing Fry's Somerdale to real location at Keynsham, I decided to overlaying a couple of the images and here's the result!
I honestly can't believe how well the model and real scene lined-up, with the road and tree line, being a near perfect match! Hopefully it give a real sense of where the line once ran.
I've also attach the two original images of the then (the model) and now (the real scene), to give an idea of the before and after. Let me know what you think!

FB_IMG_1595875618152.jpg

FB_IMG_1595875620468.jpg

FB_IMG_1595875623575.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Just shows how good a model it is - as you say, the tree line (with the overhanging arched branches) and, I’d suggest, the curve of the road into the backscene are spot on: so much so that I’d flicked between the photos two or three times looking at them before I realised that there is no longer a track crossing the road at all!

The same can be said of the tree arch over the railway line heading into the factory site in one of the other comparison shots - again, clearly the same place.

Worth including the contemporary photos in any exhibition presentation (online shows or otherwise - as you took the photos they’re your copyright to use).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Just shows how good a model it is - as you say, the tree line (with the overhanging arched branches) and, I’d suggest, the curve of the road into the backscene are spot on: so much so that I’d flicked between the photos two or three times looking at them before I realised that there is no longer a track crossing the road at all!

The same can be said of the tree arch over the railway line heading into the factory site in one of the other comparison shots - again, clearly the same place.

Worth including the contemporary photos in any exhibition presentation (online shows or otherwise - as you took the photos they’re your copyright to use).

Many thanks indeed! Honestly can't believe how well it all turned out. Knew it would be a challenge to try and blend those areas in such a small space, but so glad it's paid off. 

Indeed! Was hoping to find some suitable images of the real scene to show what once was, these should bit perfectly on the layout whilst on display. :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NRMS said:

Great videos, it’s nice to see what the area is like now and where the entrances used to be. BTW a very nice micro layout.

Many thanks indeed! Glad you've enjoyed the build! Got another little update coming soon :)

Welcome to the sixth installment on Fry's Somerdale, my latest 00 Gauge Micro Layout project. 
Over the past few days I've been focusing on improving the look and strength of the layout. The ScaleModelScenery baseboards have been reinforced with the addition of two L Shaped Batten to the undersides of the boards, this has made the layout a lot easier and safer move. 
In addition to the baseboard improvements the layout has officially gain it's identity, with the application of some custom vinyls.  
During a recent outing to Keynsham Station, I also took the opportunity to visit site of the real crossing. This gave for an excellent opportunity to compare the model to the real location, with some impressive results!  
Finally I've been working on a number of articles for Railway Modeller, which will take a closer look at both the layout and the history of the Somerdale site, as well as some of the modelling techniques I've used during construction.  
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Jeff P said:

Fantastic work, Callum. Always a treat to see your projects. 

Best,

Jeff

Many thanks indeed Jeff! Really means a lot. Been working on a few little projects of late, but have gotten so carried away I've not really filmed them. One I've been working on today, will hopefully feature in a future update. Here's a sneak peak!

IMG_20200802_183855.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Longwell Green so very familiar with the area. Do have vague recollections of seeing 25's or 31's crossing the road the a string of 4 wheel vans.

Class 22's were a bit before my time I'm afraid.

An excellent little layout.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

I used to live in Longwell Green so very familiar with the area. Do have vague recollections of seeing 25's or 31's crossing the road the a string of 4 wheel vans.

Class 22's were a bit before my time I'm afraid.

An excellent little layout.

Stay safe,

Neil

Many thanks indeed! Yes, I've seen a couple of pictures of those in service on the line in later years. All the more tempting to try and extend the fiddle yard and shuttle to allow for such locos to run on the layout ;) 

Also remember my Dad parking infront of the advertising hoardings to catch a train into Bristol and you had to walk over the road bridge as the footbridge wasn't there then. Brought back a few memories.

Thanks,

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Also remember my Dad parking infront of the advertising hoardings to catch a train into Bristol and you had to walk over the road bridge as the footbridge wasn't there then. Brought back a few memories.

Thanks,

Neil

Any idea what type of car it was? Could make it a feature!

6 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Any idea what type of car it was? Could make it a feature!

That’s a really good question, I think he had a couple of Renault 12’s think one was yellow and one was light blue. Not sure there is a OO scale model though ?

Stay safe,

Neil

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

A short running session on 00 Micro Layout - Fry's Somerdale featuring my kit build Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel, edited with Real Sound. 
The model is based on the same design of Sentinel locomotive that was used at the Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory in Keynsham, which was recently restored to full working order on the Avon Valley Railway, near Bristol in 2019, turned out in Fry's Royal Blue with Gold Leaf insignia. Constructed from the new 3D Printed Body Kit from Hardy's Hobbies, the model fits directly onto a Hornby Ruston chassis, with no modification necessary.
In this video we see the Sentinel shunting deliveries into the Somerdale site, before returning with load vans of produce. Sounds are provided by the real locomotive, which is preserved on the Avon Valley Railway, near Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory where she once worked.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum I always enjoy watching your short running session videos. Fry,s somerdale still looks great.:good_mini:

p.s. look forward to seeing what your next layout build will be.

Many thanks indeed! Hope to try and do an edit with the 08 at some point, fingers crossed.

Going through a house move at the moment, but hopefully when settled in a few months time I'll try and get around another layout build ;) 

• Like 1